BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2016 9:05 pm  #3421

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

Liberty wrote:

You know, I've thought about that ... that I feel there's going to be a major character death, and Mary is a "Watson" (if not legally!), so could replace John.   However, I don't see them going that way  - maybe leading us in that direction for a while (yet another fake death!), but not completely, because of how much they loved the stories, and how much they've put into the characters of Sherlock and John, the chemistry between them, etc.   Maybe they'd do it out of contrariness and a desire to further their original character, and to do a twist we won't expect (and maybe Martin wants out for some reason), but I don't think so.

It´s their love of "twists" I´m afraid of.

Plus, they would have a canon precedence for such a twist - in the case of "Dancing Men", the honest and upright English squire is killed because of his wife who was involved with an American gang of criminals and who kept the fact secret from him... one of he former gangster cronies shoots her English husband dead.

Aside from shooting the husband dead, these people´s situation mirrors John´s and Mary´s quite closely till now....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 18, 2016 9:19 pm  #3422

I would burn the m***** f******** house down.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 18, 2016 9:24 pm  #3423

I do not see that happen. No way. They would lose the majority of their viewers, of that I am sure. Apart from that from my experience this is a Mary-hating, overly pessimistic blog. (Not that I am a Mary fan myself but still).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2016 9:36 pm  #3424

I agree that the theory is overly pessimistic.

Still, the original post, made by "constancecream" which is a perfectly normal blog, is still mysterious and disturbing. For whom is the coffin seen on the pictures intended? What is the significance of Mary´s black dress in the last photo? Or is it only a coincidence that she´s dressed in black?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 18, 2016 9:38 pm  #3425

Of course the coffin is real and one may speculation about it. But killing off John and replacing him with Mary? Not really. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 18, 2016 9:39 pm  #3426

Just no.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 18, 2016 9:43 pm  #3427

And please remember, this is from episode 1. So all the John moments we saw on Setlock after that are what? Sherlock's sad imagination? Hallucinations? Come on, this is ridiculous. 

August 18, 2016 9:49 pm  #3428

Maybe it´s a fake death? And Mary´s "replacement" is only temporary? 

August 18, 2016 10:26 pm  #3429

Really... What is the significance of Sherlock´s devastated face from the trailer?

a) Is he being informed about the death (possibly fake) of the loved one? John? Mycroft? Mrs. Hudson? Watson´s baby? Who is the most likely candidate?

b) Is he informed that he is dying/was poisoned?

c) Is he merely under an influence of some unpleasant hallucination?

d) something entirely different?

???

August 18, 2016 10:41 pm  #3430

Is it just me or does the coffin not look full sized? As in grown up size? 

But maybe it's just my eyes 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 19, 2016 5:31 am  #3431

Sherlock just found out about the secret brother?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 19, 2016 6:59 am  #3432

I think it's difficult to tell the size in the photo, Phantom.  It's too big for a baby coffin.  It would have to be a much older child or an adult I think.   So not baby Watson (probably), but yes, could be a sibling (as there seem to be flashbacks to a Sherlock aged about 6 or 7 IIRC, then probably an older sibling?).  Or any of the adult suspects.

Or none of the above.  We've already seen Sherlock digging up a grave.  Maybe he has to open a coffin as part of his investigation. 

August 19, 2016 7:27 am  #3433

The only thing I know is that I will gnaw the tapestries off if we loose Mycroft or Mrs. Hudson and keep Mary instead.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 19, 2016 7:33 am  #3434

Tbh, after Setlock I have a feeling that probably no one is going to die. That the dark and devastating turns may be achieved in a different way. Character death is quite an obvious thing to be dark and there may be other ways to realise that. Everything I have seen and read makes me quite sure that Mycroft will not die, he seems to be quite present, most of all in ep. 3. I am quite sure that the possible darkness will not be caused by the baby's death or Mary just being killed by her past, this would be much too obvious and expected. 

August 19, 2016 7:38 am  #3435

You might be right. Well, we'll see...

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 19, 2016 8:31 am  #3436

nakahara wrote:

Really... What is the significance of Sherlock´s devastated face from the trailer?

a) Is he being informed about the death (possibly fake) of the loved one? John? Mycroft? Mrs. Hudson? Watson´s baby? Who is the most likely candidate?

b) Is he informed that he is dying/was poisoned?

c) Is he merely under an influence of some unpleasant hallucination?

d) something entirely different?

???

Looks to me like he was forced to remember stuff he'd luckily forgotten. Ghosts from the past and all that. I think he doesn't look grieving here but rather doubting his eyes and his sanity.

Last edited by ewige (August 19, 2016 8:31 am)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

August 19, 2016 9:48 am  #3437

Well we have no real way of knowing until it airs...

I just think the coffin looks too small for an adult person... A child maybe... or wold they use a smaller coffin if not all of the remains were there?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 19, 2016 9:55 am  #3438

Eeeew...

August 19, 2016 10:55 am  #3439

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Well we have no real way of knowing until it airs...

I just think the coffin looks too small for an adult person... A child maybe... or wold they use a smaller coffin if not all of the remains were there?

If the car exploded and no remains were found inside, maybe they would use such a coffin?

Meanwhile, the person believed to have died in the car (John, Mycroft or somebody else) could live, but be held at some unknown place by the bad guys and officially declared dead?

(just a speculation)

August 19, 2016 11:17 am  #3440

SusiGo wrote:

Apart from that from my experience this is a Mary-hating, overly pessimistic blog. (Not that I am a Mary fan myself but still).

Me neither, but what is going on on this blog is a nasty fight between TJLC-believers and the "plain" Johnlockers or those who still say "Ah, well, let's wait and see...".

Board footera