BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2016 11:37 am  #301

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

kgreen20 wrote:

Asians, Hispanics, black people, etc., I can read about with no problem.  But certain things, I cannot--end of story. 

I would like to add something I have missed in my above post. This is an Internet forum. In some cases we do not know the nationality of the members. In many cases we do not know their ethnicity. In almost all cases we do not know their sexual orientation. 

I imagine that this way of grouping whole ethnic groups can be very hurtful to members who are non-white. I am white myself and yet I find this remark frankly insulting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2016 12:00 pm  #302

To be fair, Susi, she was responding to my earlier comment where I was drawing a parallel between saying "I won't read any fics with gay characters in them" and saying something like "I won't read any fics with Asian characters in them." This was my example, not kgreen's. I wasn't saying that anyone on this forum was racist, but I was pointing out that the two statements are just as bad as each other. I think my point was overlooked.

I don't mean to stir up any antagonism towards my fellow forum members, but I can't stand by and ignore homophobia, like I would not stand by and ignore racism, sexism, ageism... I will point it out, hoping that I can challenge someone's attitude, which usually comes from a lack of understanding more than anything else. You can't force someone to change their mind, but maybe you can get them to think about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 11, 2016 12:12 pm  #303

Thank you for clearing this up. I thought something like that had been mentioned but I could not find it. 

And as for the rest, I fully agree with you. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2016 12:18 pm  #304

I didn't join that fic exchange because of a lack of time and unfortunately also a lack of inspiration and ideas at the moment. But I can't believe what I have to read here.
Nobody can tell me that members who are part of that forum for a year or several years already aren't aware of the fact what our fic exchanges are meant to be. It's a give and take. And that doesn't only mean "I write a fic and I get one in return". Everybody deserves feedback on his work and that was handled like this all the times before, well, more a less, without any rules. My common sense tells me that.
And that in these exchanges Johnlock is a big topic can't be really a secret either. So, if I decide to join that exchange I really should know the circumstances and the expectations. Otherwise DON'T join in!

Last edited by gently69 (July 11, 2016 12:21 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:23 pm  #305

Well, hopefully we can all strive to be tolerant, objective, unbiased and humane

This exchange has brought a few issues to the surface... I think we need to clarify exactly what we expect from participants, next time?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 11, 2016 12:25 pm  #306

Yes, although you actually did with your words about being strongly encourage to comment on all fics. This is something that should not have been ignored and should definitely be included next time around. Maybe with even a stronger wording. 

July 11, 2016 12:25 pm  #307

EDIT, sorry I was in the middle of typing this and then was interrupted by the plumber...several people have posted in-between!
Needless to say: possibly expand rules for next time!

But is that assuming not wanting to read Johnlock is based on homophobia?
Homophobia isn't accepted on the forum(and as I have previously implied, rightly so) and I don't know any homophobes on the forum.
I only know people who don't accept Johnlock and we possibly have asexuals on the forum...my comments were dealing with the latter group.
Some asexuals are physically revulsed by any sexual content, I don't know of any who find that just with gay sex.
By the same notion, I don't now anybody who is physically revulsed by Asian people.

Last edited by besleybean (July 11, 2016 12:31 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 11, 2016 12:27 pm  #308

It's sad that this is necessary after all those years. Especially for members who should know better.

Edit: My post refers to ukanuz' last post.

Last edited by gently69 (July 11, 2016 12:28 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:33 pm  #309

besleybean wrote:

Some asexuals are physically revulsed by any sexual content, I don't know of any who find that just with gay sex.

And what sexual content exactly did you find in the posted stories?
Didn´t we exclude sex and gore in the rules before the exchange even started?
What except homophobia can make a story like "Starry night" (that consists of Sherlock being sad and pining, alone and John merely appearing in the same house together in the end) objectionable to people? The actual show we all watch is much more "slashy" than any scene of all our fics combined....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 11, 2016 12:34 pm  #310

@ beasleybeean
And you had no idea what was happening in former exchanges concerning Johnlock, concerning commenting the other fics?

nakahara wrote:

besleybean wrote:

And what sexual content exactly did you find in the posted stories?
Didn´t we exclude sex and gore in the rules before the exchange even started?
What except homophobia can make a story like "Starry night" (that consists of Sherlock being sad and pining, alone and John merely appearing in the same house together in the end) objectionable to people? The actual show we all watch is much more "slashy" than any scene of all our fics combined....

Only a kiss or some cuddling is... sex? You are right, nakahara.

Last edited by gently69 (July 11, 2016 12:37 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:37 pm  #311

Others may feel comfortable with accusing people of homophobia, I don't.
Anyhow. Fan fic is a huge part of the Sherlock fandom and of fora in particular.
Many people enjoy both reading and writing fan fics and we may all have our own tastes.
I reiterate my point, an asexual response is not about taste...it's from how you are made.
Plus, I hope we are only too aware of all of the hard work that goes into not only submitting the fics for the various exchanges, but also for the people organising the exchanges.
I do feel fuller written rules in future, may help prevent any misunderstandings and therefore also any bad feeling.

Last edited by besleybean (July 11, 2016 12:39 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 11, 2016 12:40 pm  #312

besleybean wrote:

Others may feel comfortable with accusing people of homophobia, I don't.

You are talking to me? I didn't say anything about homophobia to anyone.

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:41 pm  #313

No I wasn't, which is why I edited appropriately...we cross posted.

July 11, 2016 12:43 pm  #314

*Puts hand up*

I'm the one that is calling out the homophobia. No matter how nice the person is, the attitude is still homophobic, by definition.

July 11, 2016 12:44 pm  #315

besleybean wrote:

I do feel fuller written rules in future, may help prevent any misunderstandings and therefore also any bad feeling.

How could the rule of "no sex in the stories" be expanded? "No mention of gays" ever?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 11, 2016 12:44 pm  #316

@ ukaunz But what attitude?
As long as you are not referring to my discussion: asexuality is no more an 'attitude' than being gay is.

@nakahara I am referring(in a wider discussion on asexuality) about the posibility of not being able to cope with any lovey doveyness...for want of  another expression!  It only happens to be gay because it's Johnlock.

I am asserting that I am not convinced it's anything to do with what kind of physicality it is,but rather it's an issue with any physicality!

Last edited by besleybean (July 11, 2016 12:49 pm)

July 11, 2016 12:46 pm  #317

Okay.
So, there HAVE to be rules and warnings for the next exchange. Like the warning for nuts in food. My opinion: a bit absurd... but hey, if it has to be so...

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:48 pm  #318

If someone says "I don't really enjoy reading about romance, kissing, cuddling or sex", that is about their own sexuality. If someone says "I won't read any slash fics" despite the fact that these fics have only very mild references to intimate relationships between the characters, I think that is showing a definite prejudice against gay people.

July 11, 2016 12:50 pm  #319

ukaunz wrote:

If someone says "I don't really enjoy reading about romance, kissing, cuddling or sex", that is about their own sexuality. If someone says "I won't read any slash fics" despite the fact that these fics have only very mild references to intimate relationships between the characters, I think that is showing a definite prejudice against gay people.

Strong and true words.

(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2016 12:51 pm  #320

Okay well I can see the misunderstanding...but we are talking about Sherlock here, so as far asI am concerned, there would only ever be slash...by definition.
It is just coincidence, not exclusive.
But really, ask the individuals concerned- I can only speak for me, not for anybody else.
But I was concerned for any asexuals on the forum.

Board footera