BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2016 10:06 pm  #41

Re: "Die Braut des Grauens" TAB in German

So we watched "Die Braut des Grauens" on DVD tonight and I have to admit that I can't really say anything bad about the dubbing. Even the title kind of makes sense now, because let's not forget that in the last scene Watson and Holmes talk about a possible title for the story. And well, all the suggested titles are pretty bad and "Die Braut des Grauens" is wonderfully over the top and, as Holmes puts it, 'reißerisch' (lurid).
My favourite line however would have to be Moriarty's "Oooooch, wieso brennt ihr nicht einfach zusammen durch? Ehrlich!".  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 27, 2016 12:24 pm  #42

Nice observation about German translation of "You must have impulses" scene:

http://johnlockedness.tumblr.com/post/141741420838/the-german-translation-of-impulses

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 28, 2016 9:21 pm  #43

I've just watched the Special with my hubby (who was totally lost 10 minutes in).
I too think that the dubbing was great! The juicy translation of *impulses* totally made my day.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

March 28, 2016 9:49 pm  #44

They tried to make up for the Christmas thing by creating extra Easter Egg design 

However, dubbing was really fine, and better late than never 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 29, 2016 9:02 am  #45

I don't know German at all, but it sounds like the German word works better in this case.  I thought "impulses" didn't leave much room for interpretation, but it looks as if it sounded ambiguous (i.e. not necessarily sexual) to some.  The German word seems to remove any ambiguity.   I can't think of an English equivalent ("urges"? "desires"?) which is maybe why "impulses" was used, or maybe it fitted better with a more prim, "British", Victorian conversation (and maybe Moftiss thought "impulses" was unambiguous enough, given the context!). 

Last edited by Liberty (March 29, 2016 9:04 am)

March 29, 2016 9:18 am  #46

I agree about the dubbing. Some things always get lost in translation - compared to "You'll do" the German "tauglich" seems a bit dry - but all in all the dubbing is good. 

And I really liked the choice of "Triebe" for "impulses". It does not only convey the sexual meaning but strongly alludes to the Viennese alienist as well. 

And kudos for "Oder ich polier dir die Fresse."  In the dubbing they often go for a watered-down version but in this case they went a step further than the original. 

Last edited by SusiGo (March 29, 2016 9:21 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 29, 2016 6:15 pm  #47

SusiGo wrote:

And kudos for "Oder ich polier dir die Fresse."  In the dubbing they often go for a watered-down version but in this case they went a step further than the original. 

Oh, my! 
In what scene was this quote used? Sounds a bit harsh... 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 29, 2016 6:36 pm  #48

The carriage scene when John says"Or I'll punch your lights out."

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 29, 2016 6:37 pm  #49

Ouch! 

March 29, 2016 8:02 pm  #50

In this case I think I would have preferred the translation to stay as close to the original as possible: "Oder ich knips' dir die Lichter aus" would have been 'nice'. "Oder ich polier dir die Fresse" sounds as brutal as it gets.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

March 30, 2016 7:26 am  #51

Maybe that should be so. To show the difference between mind palace and reality?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 30, 2016 7:40 am  #52

"Or I'll punch your lights out" refers to "beat to unconsciousness"?
I'd rather have my ugly mouth polished 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 30, 2016 9:46 am  #53

"Ich knips dir die Lichter aus" also means beating someone into unconsciousness.
In the end it's probably a matter of 'taste', if you wanna use such a word in this context.

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 30, 2016 9:46 am)

March 30, 2016 9:57 am  #54

gently69 wrote:

Maybe that should be so. To show the difference between mind palace and reality?

Exactly. It was to show the difference between Victorian John and modern John. And "Ich knips dir das Licht aus" would once again be milder than the original. But it may be a matter of taste. 

March 30, 2016 1:52 pm  #55

Does anyone know where to watch the German version? I'm asking for friends who wanted to watch it in the ARD mediathek but it's not available yet and if ask me it never will be! 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 30, 2016 2:01 pm  #56

They said something like that in advance, legal reasons, yadda yadda. If there is no - cough - other way of watching, they will probably have to buy the DVD. 

March 30, 2016 2:36 pm  #57

Oh thanks, doesn't surprise me. 

----------

March 30, 2016 4:23 pm  #58

The Sherlock facebook page just posted that the German version of TAB is available on iTunes.

I watched it on Sunday night, although I'm always reluctant to watch anything that's been dubbed (got the original DVD as soon as it was available).  I was somewhat surprised though, it wasn't as bad as I had expected, they did a good job. Still, much prefer the original version and voices 

March 30, 2016 4:25 pm  #59

They put only their own productions into mediathek, since they simply are not entitled to do it with other films, and are even just permitted to keep most of their own stuff online for one week only. Not their fault 

Last edited by Harriet (March 30, 2016 4:31 pm)

March 30, 2016 6:03 pm  #60

Doesn't change my difficult relationship with the ARD.

But now you say that I actually knew that, it's not the first time I was looking for something like that in the mediathek.  
I was just wondering why the Swedish Wallander is available, but they probably co-produced it.

Last edited by Ivy (March 30, 2016 6:05 pm)

----------

Board footera