BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 25, 2016 1:52 pm  #1

"Die Braut des Grauens" TAB in German

In case we want to discuss the dubbing ;)

Well, not quite January! But at least not May or June. Let's be thankful, by German standards not that bad.

source:  http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/film/sherlock/index.html

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 25, 2016 2:04 pm  #2

Re: "Die Braut des Grauens" TAB in German

At the end of March? Are they joking?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 25, 2016 2:28 pm  #3

Well, that's the ARD, and we pay a licence fee for that "service".

----------

January 25, 2016 2:29 pm  #4

Yes, this time it's a Christmas episode for Easter 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 25, 2016 2:31 pm  #5

Harriet wrote:

Yes, this time it's a Christmas episode for Easter

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 25, 2016 2:32 pm  #6

Well and in the UK it was a Christmas Special on New Years Day. ;)

Good that Easter is in March this year!

Last edited by Ivy (January 25, 2016 2:32 pm)

----------

January 25, 2016 2:36 pm  #7

While New Year's Day is still within the Christmas season 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 25, 2016 2:42 pm  #8

The translation of the title is "abominable" enough.   

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2016 2:43 pm  #9

Die Translation des Grauens 

January 25, 2016 2:51 pm  #10

Definitely. Why didn't they use a correct translation? There is nothing mentioned of horror or terror. It sounds like an bad B-movie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 25, 2016 3:21 pm  #11

In German version of the story, the Bride will turn into Nosferatu and fly away....

January 25, 2016 6:10 pm  #12

Hehe, just last night hubby and I had the discussion, why they almost never use just the correct translation of a title. We found no explanation.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 25, 2016 6:17 pm  #13

Tbh, I have to think long and hard to remember the German titles at all. But I think the only one that was different from the original so far was TEH, right? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2016 6:24 pm  #14

Oh! Yes, you are right! Didn't have Sherlock in mind while discussing last night.... 

Well, one of our examples was "A little chaos" - "Die Gärtnerin von Versailles" 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 25, 2016 6:40 pm  #15

Well, looking at my DVD collection I have to say that there are a lot of German film titles which are quite similar to the original title. And there also are a lot of titles which weren't translated at all and the original title was used (sometimes a subhead was added and yes, those subheads are mostly dreadful...). I suppose we tend to remember the most absurd translations of original film titles and tend to ignore the fact that there indeed are a lot of felicitous translations.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 25, 2016 6:43 pm  #16

Oh, and: I guess we shouldn't complain about the ARD broadcasting TAB in March. It's been over a year now and the ZDF still hasn't managed to broadcast the second season of "Broadchurch"... so it could be a lot worse...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 26, 2016 12:59 am  #17

So I just used google translate to see if there was a German word for abominable and it came up with "abscheulich". Is there anything wrong with this word? Why wouldn't they use it? Weird. I suppose English translations of other language titles might be just as bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 26, 2016 1:16 am  #18

I don't like the phrasing. Maybe it's because I'm no fan of unnecessary article use.
Apart from that, there is nothing that can really upset me about german air dates or dubbing or translations anymore. They have lost me the first time already, I'm not going to watch the german version at all. And it's again LATE in the evening and not 20.15. They just think fans are crazy enough to watch it whatever time they put it out there. But I feel that they don't value Sherlock (all answers I had from ARD to my questions support this theory). I feel just sorry for the people who don't understand the english version, they deserve better.

"It is what it is."

January 26, 2016 5:30 am  #19

ukaunz wrote:

So I just used google translate to see if there was a German word for abominable and it came up with "abscheulich". Is there anything wrong with this word? Why wouldn't they use it? Weird. I suppose English translations of other language titles might be just as bad.

"Abscheulich" is totally fine. Although "Die abscheuliche Braut" doesn't really convince me, either (there is something wrong with the 'sound', if you know what I mean), the alternative is definitely worse.

January 26, 2016 8:14 am  #20

I would have chosen one of these three "Die furchtbare/schreckliche/abscheuliche Braut" or the exact translation "abominabel" which is outdated, what a pity.

Last edited by Ivy (January 26, 2016 8:15 am)

----------

Board footera