BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2016 7:20 pm  #41

Re: Symbolism in TAB

I don't know if the modern(UK) army insists on clean shaven soldiers?
Maybe that was Sherlock's thinking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2016 10:00 pm  #42

Possible.  But remember, John remarks about the illustrator being "out of control" and that he had to grow the moustache just so that people would recognize him.  Sherlock would have made up a reason in the Victorian version for John to have grown the moustache, maybe partly because he knows in Victorian times it would be more likely? Also, he might not know for sure why John grew the moustache we see in series 3, so maybe Sherlock is toying with possibilities?

Clueing for looks.

January 8, 2016 10:02 pm  #43

I always saw it as part of John's wanting to change and move on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2016 10:28 pm  #44

John was too sad to shave.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 8, 2016 10:29 pm  #45

Then he would have a had a beard...wipe that image!

January 8, 2016 10:48 pm  #46

Yitzock wrote:

Possible.  But remember, John remarks about the illustrator being "out of control" and that he had to grow the moustache just so that people would recognize him.  Sherlock would have made up a reason in the Victorian version for John to have grown the moustache, maybe partly because he knows in Victorian times it would be more likely? Also, he might not know for sure why John grew the moustache we see in series 3, so maybe Sherlock is toying with possibilities?

The whole "moustache" thing was actually Mofftiss´ reference to an actual canonic illustrator Sidney Paget who drew Sherlock and John certain way and it became so popular that it influenced ACD´s descriptions of the detective and his friend in return. I doubt there´s more behind it. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2016 10:49 pm  #47

"A skull on the wall" again. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2016 10:49 pm  #48

Excellent.

January 9, 2016 3:41 am  #49

nakahara wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

The whole "moustache" thing was actually Mofftiss´ reference to an actual canonic illustrator Sidney Paget who drew Sherlock and John certain way and it became so popular that it influenced ACD´s descriptions of the detective and his friend in return. I doubt there´s more behind it.  

I agree.

January 9, 2016 8:39 am  #50

They do like their nods to canon.

January 9, 2016 8:43 am  #51

I think that's the most obvous explanation - I think that explains their appearance in general - Sherlock's slicked back hair, etc.  There's probably no deep reason for him to imagine himself with slicked back hair other than that's how Sherlock was portrayed (by Paget, but also in other versions - Rathbone, Brett, etc.).   

And Yitzock, of course you're quite right that Watson says he had to grow a moustache because of the illustrator, so that means army John at the beginning has to be shown without a moustache..

Last edited by Liberty (January 9, 2016 8:47 am)

January 9, 2016 8:54 am  #52

Indeed.

Board footera