BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 28, 2016 3:54 pm  #761

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Awww nice meta Nakahara . I said pretty much the the same thing in the epic is it Canon debate. 
The virus in Sherlocks hard drive is love ( sentiment) for John.♡ 
I think Sherlock in S04 will be better now.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 28, 2016 4:05 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 28, 2016 4:21 pm  #762

On another note , I saw a clip from tab where John says " tweeds for the morgue "  and it reminded me of when Mary wore her pyjamas into St Barts , did it anyone else , was it maybe supposed to.
And the moment when Victorian John turns into modern John on the train shouting " where's my wife you pompous  prick " is still puzzling,  is it maybe something that happened when Sherlock escaped from hospital and arranged for the Mary set up in the empty house ? It did seem to happen just after Sherlock remembered being shot in tab . Suggests John was really angry before he had to play the dummy in HLV and that maybe Sherlock  lied to him a bit about why .

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 28, 2016 4:49 pm  #763

I didn't know whether it was just Sherlock imagining what modern Sherlock would say in such an instance...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2016 4:55 pm  #764

Yes Besleybean it does seem like a flash of reality doesn't it    , but I was thinking it could easily be a flashback of actual reality. Which is odd for me as I think the whole thing is a dreamy hallucination 

January 28, 2016 6:50 pm  #765

Mothonthemantel wrote:

And the moment when Victorian John turns into modern John on the train shouting " where's my wife you pompous prick " is still puzzling, is it maybe something that happened when Sherlock escaped from hospital and arranged for the Mary set up in the empty house ? It did seem to happen just after Sherlock remembered being shot in tab . Suggests John was really angry before he had to play the dummy in HLV and that maybe Sherlock lied to him a bit about why .

Although this moment seems like a flashback of reality, I have my doubts it it really happened in HLV.
In that HLV scene, Sherlock was missing, not Mary. If John wanted to know were Mary is, it would suffice if he called her himself and asked about her whereabouts. What good would it do if he shouted at Sherlock "tell me where my wife is, you pompous prick!" in such circumstances? Sherlock would only be able to do the same thing John could - call her...
Could it be he actually shouted: "why didn´t you tell me she shot you, you pompous prick?"
But then I wonder about John´s character. To bully the victim of your wife that way because he told you the truth as soon as he could is irrational at best, absolutelly psychopatic at worst....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 6:52 pm  #766

The 'pompous prick' thing?
In the UK, that counts as friendly banter between besties!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 28, 2016 7:13 pm  #767

besleybean wrote:

Yes, when they drink beer together in the pub... not when they are about to keel over from a grievous shot-wound.
And John´s face was beyong angry and poisonous in that short "not-quite-flashback", not smiling and languid as a friend´s face would be.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 28, 2016 7:18 pm  #768

Okay I was possibly being a tad facetious.
I really see it more as equivalent to John's ' You cock' outburst in the tube carriage.
Yes he's genuinely annoyed in the moment and makes a typical John response.
But I don't think the anger will be long-lived and I do not see it as bullying.
He is a bit harsh on Sherlock in the flat confrontation of HLV, but I think the circumstances are understandable.
I think Sherlock's recognition of this is shown by his meek' I didn't say it was funny'.

January 28, 2016 7:23 pm  #769

besleybean wrote:

Okay I was possibly being a tad facetious.
I really see it more as equivalent to John's ' You cock' outburst in the tube carriage.
Yes he's genuinely annoyed in the moment and makes a typical John response.
But I don't think the anger will be long-lived and I do not see it as bullying.
He is a bit harsh on Sherlock in the flat confrontation of HLV, but I think the circumstances are understandable.
I think Sherlock's recognition of this is shown by his meek' I didn't say it was funny'.

So you think this moment really happened in HLV? Wasn´t it just Sherlock´s imagination?

January 28, 2016 7:25 pm  #770

Huh, in HLV?
Yes, the flat scene and tube confrontation both happened.
In TAB, I think they were really hurtling to the crypt.

January 28, 2016 7:41 pm  #771

besleybean wrote:

Huh, in HLV?
Yes, the flat scene and tube confrontation both happened.
In TAB, I think they were really hurtling to the crypt.

No, I mean if you think that this moment

is a flashback of something that happened in HLV? Or is it only something Sherlock conjures on the spot?

January 28, 2016 7:43 pm  #772

Oh yes in TAB...where was that then?
Wasn't that when they were on their way to the house?
Sorry, I don't remember.

January 28, 2016 8:51 pm  #773

What I was thinking was , that when Sherlock escaped the hospital , at some point he had to meet up with John and sit him in the chair , while they waited for Mary to show. But Sherlock must of warned John that Mary was coming to prevent him revealing himself and Sherlock too soon and spoiling the whole - make Mary confess in front of John plan .
So at that point John would have been wondering wtf was going on and maybe shouted "where's my wife you pompous prick " . I think the flash Victorian Sherlock has of modern John on the train is very odd , and something memorable or a time of high emotion from reality caused it.
Sorry if I have not explained very well . It's  a wierd moment,

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 28, 2016 8:53 pm)

January 28, 2016 8:54 pm  #774

I could see this...
But Mary hadn't disappeared in HLV!
But yeah, I could see Sherlock trying to make some drama..
Well, what am I saying?  
He had arranged a show for John to watch.

January 28, 2016 10:59 pm  #775

Yes lol. And do you think Sherlock must have already told John Mary had shot him and was looking for him , so John would be shouting a bit before he had to sit silent and just listen. That is an important and emotional moment and we didn't see it.
So maybe a reality flash back in tab.

January 29, 2016 7:51 am  #776

Mothonthemantel wrote:

What I was thinking was , that when Sherlock escaped the hospital , at some point he had to meet up with John and sit him in the chair , while they waited for Mary to show. But Sherlock must of warned John that Mary was coming to prevent him revealing himself and Sherlock too soon and spoiling the whole - make Mary confess in front of John plan .
So at that point John would have been wondering wtf was going on and maybe shouted "where's my wife you pompous prick " . I think the flash Victorian Sherlock has of modern John on the train is very odd , and something memorable or a time of high emotion from reality caused it.
Sorry if I have not explained very well . It's a wierd moment,

Yes, it is weird but also completely in line with John's: 

"Sherlock, one more word and you will not need morphine."

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2016 8:26 am  #777

besleybean wrote:

Rude, uncouth, really, to the max in the US. And absolutely not done, shouted in public like that. But whatever--  compared to a lot of the dreck I watch on TV, it didn't faze me one bit.

January 29, 2016 8:28 am  #778

I think the "Or I'll punch your lights out" is worse than the rest of the sentence. It is threat of violence, completely in accordance with my above quote. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 29, 2016 8:40 am  #779

I completely think it's something from HLV that John said... he was REALLY angry. He wasn't with Mary so he didn't now where she was and Sherlock's just moved his chair back in, and showed him his wife's perfume... and Sherlock's been shot and gone missing and then rings him and sets up that whole Leinster Gardens thing ... Also it's completely consistent with his characterisation in HLV. He yells at Mary for 'no reason' at the beginning of the episode.

Last edited by Little Weed (January 29, 2016 8:41 am)

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

January 29, 2016 8:49 am  #780

Could be.  Presumably Sherlock withheld information from John in HLV because he wanted to show rather than tell.   I'm not too sure about the wording though - John wasn't really worried about Mary, and I'm not sure why he would get angry at (gravely ill) Sherlock for not telling him where she was (the perfume is a clue that this is about her, but he has no reason to suspect she's in danger).  Whereas in TAB it makes sense - John knows Mary is in danger, and that Sherlock knows where she is but is refusing to tell him.  I don't see it John's outburst there as so unwarranted - Sherlock IS being a bit of a pompous prick!  Whereas he most definitely isn't being one in HLV. 

I do like the idea of finding out more about that scene we don't see in HLV, though.  I always wondered how that went.

Board footera