BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2016 9:13 am  #501

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Bruce Cook wrote:

So, what did Sherlock’s drug-assisted mind palace teach him?  (And us.)  Quite a lot, actually.  Such as:

If someone blows their brains out, they’re definitely dead.

If someone is not dead, they definitely did not blow their brains out.

Dead people don’t rise from the grave to commit murder.

Living people can use deception to get away with murder.

Smart people don’t kill themselves when a fake suicide works better to accomplish their goal.

That was very interesting, but you forgot one important point there:

Sherlock also learned:

If someone blows his brain out and is definitely dead, he can "live on" through other people.
(All the brides...........)

So Jim can be still alive, although he is actually dead. 

I still don't believe in another faked suicide. Especially after the Special. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 6, 2016 11:32 am  #502

Bruce Cook wrote:

While dead people indeed do not rise from the grave to do anything, good, bad or indifferent, someone like Moriarty could certainly have set things in motion (paid his cohorts) to carry out various crimes after his death, if need be. Whether or not M. had planned to actually do away with himself that day, up on the roof of St. Bart's, he still could have left plans behind, you know, "in the event of my demise, do this, this and this, to this one, that one and the other one."  I wouldn't put it past him.

So anyway, whether or not he's dead, or if someone else is carrying forward with his plans, the writers can still bring the character back, hire the wonderful Andrew Scott to play him, etc, anytime in the future. Anything can continue to happen in Sherlock's mind palace or any other character's imagination or in some kind of prequel or something.

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 6, 2016 11:45 am)

January 6, 2016 11:34 am  #503

Here's hoping!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2016 11:36 am  #504

Lilythiell wrote:

I know it is a stupid question...but do you think that it was on purpose that Mofftiss titled their episode "Sherlock: The Abominable Bride" so its acronym would be STAB -accurate definition of what happened after we've seen it : stab through the hard.

I don't think anyone in charge of anything for Sherlock does things that are not on purpose.  And they do like to get the fandom all abuzz and running in a hundred different directions, analyzing everything and speculating about everything.

January 6, 2016 11:38 am  #505

I know, but not sure if the use acronyms like we do!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2016 11:42 am  #506

SolarSystem wrote:

Still, I have to say that I don't really want to find out in S4 that Sherlock and Jim both faked their deaths. Because what would this mean? To me it would mean that everything we see in the show is totally arbitrary and that Mofftiss don't stick to anything and just change things around whenever they feel like it (and probably give a smartass comment like "Oh, don't tell us you didn't see this coming...?! It was so obvious and we lie all the time anyway!"). And I know it's true, they lie all the time... but it feels a bit as if sometimes that's a comfortable excuse for pretty much anything they do.

I doubt that it's that extreme. A show of that magnitude (with that much money at stake) would undoubtedly have at least a rough plan [working script outline] going through S4 and even perhaps into S5. I think the writers do everything they do quite deliberately.  All of that is theirs to know, and for us to find out!

January 6, 2016 11:48 am  #507

besleybean wrote:

I know, but not sure if the use acronyms like we do!

Not sure either, but they would surmise (got to stop doing that) our reaction, wouldn't they?

Anyway, I'll keep calling it STAB -and not just TAB- because it is SO bloody fitting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 6, 2016 11:49 am  #508

It is indeed.

January 6, 2016 6:23 pm  #509

Not sure where to post this but here seems a general TAB thread .

Sherlock finds a mysterious note on the body ( of Sir Eustace ) the brown card that says miss me .  A message from a dead man , easy enough to connect that with Moriarty miss me message. Later Mycroft also holds up the card .
Might one say this is a kind of victorian calling card ?
It turns out that folding or snipping a corner of the card had meaning.Look at the brown card snipped top left in a curve , meaning a social call , and bottom left , meaning goodbye I may be off on a trip .A message from the person who sent the miss me messages maybe ?

Details on victorian calling cards at the lower half of this page .

http://avictorian.com/social_rituals.html

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 6, 2016 6:25 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2016 6:24 pm  #510

I just had a squealing moment. I just saw the advert for the episode on Danish TV! They're showing it on Sunday. 

only one thing... I hate the Danish translation for the title... I don't know what else they could have called it though

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 6, 2016 7:02 pm  #511

Please let us know in this thread, too 
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5428

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 6, 2016 7:16 pm  #512

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I just had a squealing moment. I just saw the advert for the episode on Danish TV! They're showing it on Sunday. only one thing... I hate the Danish translation for the title... I don't know what else they could have called it though

What is the Danish translation for the title?

January 6, 2016 7:19 pm  #513

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 6, 2016 7:36 pm  #514

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Not sure where to post this but here seems a general TAB thread .

Sherlock finds a mysterious note on the body ( of Sir Eustace ) the brown card that says miss me . A message from a dead man , easy enough to connect that with Moriarty miss me message. Later Mycroft also holds up the card .
Might one say this is a kind of victorian calling card ?

Don't think so. It looked more like a tag used to price something with a hole to attach a string. Or maybe a tag from the morgue...

January 6, 2016 7:37 pm  #515

Though I do think I remember it being clipped.

January 6, 2016 7:46 pm  #516

Hi JP yes it did . But Mycroft did hold it up oddly.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2016 7:47 pm  #517

Wasn't that just to taunt Sherlock?!

January 6, 2016 7:49 pm  #518

It looked a bit like the card you'd put on the toe of a corpse in a morgue... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 6, 2016 7:52 pm  #519

Indeed.

January 6, 2016 7:55 pm  #520

Yes . But there were 2 cards . The black one behind it also.

Board footera