BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2016 4:50 am  #461

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

ChrisHartwell wrote:

Even as Sherlock and The Abominable Bride’s journey into the past isn’t the series’ strongest adventure, the exploration of its title character, tethered to the present by his closest friend, remains ever riveting; as we behold these men’s need for the other, we are by extension shown man’s universal need for the other. Join me as I look closer: https://youtu.be/qCoAcjXKzLM

Chris!  Yes!  Nicely done!

January 5, 2016 6:43 am  #462

Yes, that looks really good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2016 9:07 am  #463

Besley, you keep mentioning the commentary team going quiet during the plane landing scene... What do you mean? Is there a commentary?

Sorry, I just realised you were talking about HLV commentary (which I don't think I've heard yet). This is what you wrote:
Did you see what I'd said about now understanding why the commentary team were silent on the tarmac scene?!
I'll have to find a way to listen to it someday!

Last edited by ukaunz (January 5, 2016 9:12 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2016 9:19 am  #464

Yes sorry, I just remembered Liberty and I both expressing our frustration at the HLV commentary:
They yabber all the way through and then are suddenly silent at the tarmac scene...but I feel I now know why!
But yes, definitely listen to it.
Some really interesting stuff, especially about Mary and the marriage.

Last edited by besleybean (January 5, 2016 9:21 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2016 9:27 am  #465

There's a commentary I need to listen to...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 5, 2016 9:31 am  #466

I think they all need a listen to.
Though I don't like listening to the SIB one too much...I can't remember if we've discussed why on this forum or not!

January 5, 2016 9:54 am  #467

I don't know why some want a commentary so badly.
I like to find out by myself (and with the help of all the others here) what they want to tell us. Not just listen to them (and their lies).

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 5, 2016 9:54 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2016 9:58 am  #468

Yes. Exactly. I have read/listened to all the commentaries and usually did not find them very helpful for understanding the show. It is nice additional information about the making of the episodes, funny banter, but not much more if you ask me. And it cannot be because it would mean you have to buy the DVD and listen to the commentaries to fully understand what you see. IMO the episodes as such should be enough to go on. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 5, 2016 9:59 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2016 10:11 am  #469

SusiGo wrote:

And it cannot be because it would mean you have to buy the DVD and listen to the commentaries to fully understand what you see. 

That would be poor for the show and for your own understanding and imagination. I can't see the problem. 

Last edited by gently69 (January 5, 2016 10:17 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 5, 2016 10:15 am  #470

Those shows are made to think. That's what I like about them. Also that's what I like about any "complicated" movie.
I wouldn't watch a movie in a cinema and go to the writer the next day "Okay, now explain to me what all this meant."
At most comments are a nice addition after a while.

January 5, 2016 10:32 am  #471

The commentaries are fascinating!  I always like to have commentaries for films/TV that I really like - some of them are really good!  I'd rather have a commentary than a "making of".  They just seem to be usually more insightful, and of course, there is a much broader remit - I like hearing anecdotes about the people involved, for instance, rather than just how effects were achieved.    I think it's particularly good when the people talking are people who aren't often interviewed.  I suppose the commentaries are a kind of interview, but they seem to work really well - having the film playing seems to spark off the conversation.   I would definitely recommend them as a feature (if you're choosing which DVD to buy for some reason).  I don't really understand why people don't like them.  And I don't think they're ever presented as something that you must have to understand the show.    But they do give insights that you wouldn't otherwise have, such as explaining why they did something a certain way. 

I'm curious about why you don't like the ASIB one, Besleybean?  I thought it was pretty good, and it has Benedict in it!

Last edited by Liberty (January 5, 2016 10:33 am)

January 5, 2016 10:35 am  #472

I love commentaries too. Mostly because I love trivia about movies and shows that I love.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 5, 2016 10:36 am  #473

I have never said that I do not like them. I just said that I do not want or need them to understand the show but that they can be fun. And that I do not believe that anything crucial to understanding the show is said in them since it would require people to know them to understand the show. That is all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2016 10:38 am  #474

I like comments when they tell me things which have nothing to do with the stuff I see in screen. The commentary for the movie "The Usual Suspects" is a great example because there they tell us that during the filming of the identity parade the actors cracked up again and again. When I went back to watch the film afterwards I actually could spot a moment of that - they just left it in the movie and it works even if you don't know the commentary, but it works on a slightly different level. So, they didn't explain the film to me, but they gave me some nice anecdotes about the filming.
The only films which really should come with an explanatory commentary are David Lynch's. But I guess he sometimes doesn't even know himself what's going on in his films... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 5, 2016 11:01 am  #475

I like them. I just don't need them.
And yes, they can give a further insight, and that's okay.
But at first I want to think about it myself. And than - again - comments at Sherlock are not always the truth.
That's all I said.

January 5, 2016 11:01 am  #476

SusiGo wrote:

I have never said that I do not like them. I just said that I do not want or need them to understand the show but that they can be fun. And that I do not believe that anything crucial to understanding the show is said in them since it would require people to know them to understand the show. That is all. 

I like to sign this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 5, 2016 11:03 am  #477

Well all I know is that the next time I listen to a Sherlock commentary and they go silent like that...I will strongly suspect there is a lot more to the scene than meets the eye and we are going to get back to this later!
Because it was just so stark: other things they were talking about quite freely, the Watsons life etc.
But we got to the tarmac scene and just silence.

January 5, 2016 11:05 am  #478

Yes!  A bit of clue, indeed.  But not in any way a spoiler or an explanation. 

January 5, 2016 11:09 am  #479

Well I do remember Mark and Benedict going a bit quite on the GG cliff hanger too.
But then what else could they say other than what they did: how do they get out of that, then?!
They also sometimes admit they just get so involved in watching the episode...or in Steven's case, obsessing about Martin's coat!
But of course, the difference with HLV, is that there are the Moriarty bits at the end...

January 5, 2016 4:43 pm  #480

Here's some fun stuff.  Although most of us didn't miss much.

Sherlock: 34 Things You Might Have Missed in The Abominable Bride
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/sherlock/251713/sherlock-34-things-you-might-have-missed-in-the-abominable-bride

Last edited by tonnaree (January 5, 2016 4:44 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera