BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 17, 2015 7:55 pm  #121

Re: John's evovlement throughout the show

Vhanja wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Do you think that part of that might be John's...recalcitrance when it comes to seeing Sherlock as a "human being"? He seems very resitant to it-- and the whole season has John head spinning due to being confronted with Sherlock's very apparent human-ness. 

I don't see John being relunctant to seing Sherlock as a "human being", seeing as he said those words exactly at the gravestone scene. ("The most human human being I've ever known...").

I can sort of understand John in that scene. I mean - what was he supposed to do? It was in the middle of their wedding, people were dancing, it was probably expected that the wife and groom were going to join and as well in the party bit of the wedding. "We can't all just stand around here talking", as Sherlock puts it himself. It's neither the time nor the place for any long discusion about this (not that Sherlock and John would ever do something as simple as talk about their feelings and issues anyway...).

Actually--- this brings to mind the part in TSo3 when John and Sherlock are sitting on the bench in the park, and Sherlock asks John about Sholto, and John's like, "Whay are you showing interest in another human being?" rather sacrcastically-- and Sherlock's like, "Chatting. Won't be trying that again." I think, right there-- Sherlock learns-- that he's not allowed to be "human"; John is always thrown off by it. It seems to make him very uncomfortable. And, I do think part of that is John putting Sherlock on a pedestal-- but some of the other comments he's made lead me to think that at least half of him believes or really wants to believe that Sherlock really is a "Sociopath", or "Psycopath" or "Madman", as John is fond of calling Sherlock. And one of the benefits of thinking this way means that John can always feel lat little bit superior-- after all, he's a "real human being." 

September 17, 2015 8:17 pm  #122

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Actually--- this brings to mind the part in TSo3 when John and Sherlock are sitting on the bench in the park, and Sherlock asks John about Sholto, and John's like, "Whay are you showing interest in another human being?" rather sacrcastically-- and Sherlock's like, "Chatting. Won't be trying that again." I think, right there-- Sherlock learns-- that he's not allowed to be "human"; John is always thrown off by it. It seems to make him very uncomfortable. And, I do think part of that is John putting Sherlock on a pedestal-- but some of the other comments he's made lead me to think that at least half of him believes or really wants to believe that Sherlock really is a "Sociopath", or "Psycopath" or "Madman", as John is fond of calling Sherlock. And one of the benefits of thinking this way means that John can always feel lat little bit superior-- after all, he's a "real human being." 

I don't think John reacts to Sherlock being "human". I think he, from experience, becomes suspicious because up until then Sherlock has never started idle chat without having an ulterior motive.

How do you explain John's "most human human being" if he refuses to see Sherlock as human?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 17, 2015 8:20 pm  #123

Vhanja wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I don't think John reacts to Sherlock being "human". I think he, from experience, becomes suspicious because up until then Sherlock has never started idle chat without having an ulterior motive.

How do you explain John's "most human human being" if he refuses to see Sherlock as human?

Because he thought Sherlock was dead: sentiment. 

September 17, 2015 8:21 pm  #124

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

[

I get the impression you have very little faith in John.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

September 17, 2015 10:14 pm  #125

Vhanja wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

[

I get the impression you have very little faith in John.

Why would you say that? Seriously?

Is it not possible that John felt guilty for calling Sherlock a machine, before he jumped?

September 18, 2015 8:03 am  #126

Oh, I think John felt guilty also for not being able to save Sherlock. To talk him out or prevent the jump in other way. You know - all those if-s, when-s, I should have-s... I suppose it is also the part of John's rage after they meet again - not only that Sherlock let him mourn, but also feel guilty for two years.

September 18, 2015 9:40 am  #127

I agree, there must be quite a bit of guilt. What could he have said to stop Sherlock from jumping? Why did he leave in the first place? Etc.

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 5:54 pm  #128

At least John was alive to feel guilty....thanks to Sherlock!

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (September 18, 2015 5:55 pm)

September 29, 2015 11:57 pm  #129

I'm rewatching HLV, and what I find interesting here is John trying to establish his independence. He keeps trying to tell Sherlock that "I'll text you if I'm available" and "You're just assuming I'll come along?"

I find this interesting. Because this isn't TEH when Sherlock has just returned and John is all shaken up about it. This is after their wedding and honeymoon, after John is clearly not happy with his married life and he just found Sherlock in a drug den.

Why do you think John is still eager to assert his independence?

Team Hudders!

September 30, 2015 1:29 am  #130

I'm not sure about that answer to that, but it's an interesting observation.
Do you think it's possible he's compensating for something, or that he's trying to put on the air of begin busy with his "new life" even though he probably does want to go along with Sherlock on an "adventure."

Clueing for looks.

September 30, 2015 1:43 am  #131

I get the feeling he's still trying to prove to himself more than anyone else that his new life is what he wants. Because it's clear that his current life doesn't make him happy. It's equally clear that whatever he says, he still follows Sherlock almost blindly. So it's only a token resistance. Is the resistance meant for his own conscious more than for Sherlock?

Team Hudders!

September 30, 2015 1:57 am  #132

It might be for himself, although perhaps part of him is hoping it leaves an impression on Sherlock, that Sherlock will believe him.  But not so much that Sherlock stops asking John to come with him.  Maybe John wants Sherlock to appreciate their time together more since he's supposed to have other things to do but chooses to go with Sherlock?

Clueing for looks.

September 30, 2015 2:15 am  #133

Yeah, maybe he's just asking Sherlock to not take him for granted anymore?

Team Hudders!

September 30, 2015 3:33 am  #134

I wonder if this also a symptom of a distance growing between them. They haven't seen each other for quite some time, after all.

For some people, friendship is like - oh, I dunno - a bicycle. When it's moving, it's really moving. But when it stops, it takes an extra effort to get rolling again. I think a part of the awkwardness we see between them in this episode might a result of them slowly re-connecting after being apart for a while.

Or maybe this is totally wrong. As an anti-social, socially awkward person myself however, this is how it seemed to me.

September 30, 2015 4:17 am  #135

I thought that it was interesting that on one hand, John is like, (in HLV/Drugs den) "If you were any where near this sort of thing you could have called me--", but as stated above in several posts, John makes an effort NOT to contact Sherlock. For a month. So-- he wanted Sherlock to contact him, but not assume he was available, but be open to having John working with him, even if John made it clear he'd gone on with his new, happy life? I'm confused. And John is passive-aggressive. 

September 30, 2015 7:41 am  #136

I think John is completely confused at this point and behaves in quite an unpredictable and erratic way: 

- the dream - I do not want to go into this again but for me it is a sign of his underlying attraction to Sherlock
- his aggressive behaviour after being woken
- quarrelling with Mary
- his aggression towards Billy 
-  the mixed signals towards Sherlock - distance and the offer to help at the same time
- being deduced by Billy in front of Mary, Molly, and Sherlock

IMO all this shows that he is not happy with his current life but is at a loss at what to do about it. We should remember what he says about Sherlock in his blog: "He is like a drug." Not "danger is like a drug" but Sherlock. I wonder if he tries to distance himself from his friend because he is afraid of what might happen if he gives in to his innermost wishes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2015 7:48 am  #137

SusiGo wrote:

I think John is completely confused at this point and behaves in quite an unpredictable and erratic way: 

- the dream - I do not want to go into this again but for me it is a sign of his underlying attraction to Sherlock
- his aggressive behaviour after being woken
- quarrelling with Mary
- his aggression towards Billy 
-  the mixed signals towards Sherlock - distance and the offer to help at the same time
- being deduced by Billy in front of Mary, Molly, and Sherlock

IMO all this shows that he is not happy with his current life but is at a loss at what to do about it. We should remember what he says about Sherlock in his blog: "He is like a drug." Not "danger is like a drug" but Sherlock. I wonder if he tries to distance himself from his friend because he is afraid of what might happen if he gives in to his innermost wishes. 

So, is John capapble of making choices-- of going with Sherlock because he wants to? Or will he always be swept up-- addicted to-- and helplessly drawn into crime scene and such? Because, it sounds to me like he doesn't really want to do these things-- but he can't seem to help himself.

September 30, 2015 7:56 am  #138

I think we have to consider that their relationship has been fundamentally changed by Sherlock's death. He did not have to resist working with Sherlock before because it was just what they did and both loved. But then the fall disrupts everything. John is a man with trust issues and in TEH he feels betrayed by the one person he trusted above all others. 

But for me there is another reading - John is married now and he woke this morning from dreaming about Sherlock, with his wife at his side. And he apparently expects to find him in front of the door and is disappointed and exasperated when seeing then neighbour instead. I think he cannot trust himself to be a married man who is "just friends" with Sherlock.
Remember, this is the first time we see John after the wedding and he clearly is not happy without Sherlock and dreams about him. He cycles to work instead of going by car together with his wife and this after having been married for a few weeks. IMO he is all over the place and does not know how to reconcile these sides of his life. And it is in this situation that all happens at once - the drug den, Magnussen in the flat, Janine, the break-in, the shooting. 

I am just trying to explain how much is going on in John because it might explain his strange reactions throughout the episode. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 30, 2015 7:57 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2015 8:09 am  #139

SusiGo wrote:

But for me there is another reading - John is married now and he woke this morning from dreaming about Sherlock, with his wife at his side. And he apparently expects to find him in front of the door and is disappointed and exasperated when seeing then neighbour instead. I think he cannot trust himself to be a married man who is "just friends" with Sherlock.

I have a feeling that John wants to continue doing cases with Sherlock very much, but at the same time, he is very proud to admit it - maybe is confusing behaviour is his attempt to make Sherlock beg for his help, so that he feels needed and not just a tag-a-log...

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 30, 2015 8:16 am  #140

SusiGo wrote:

I think we have to consider that their relationship has been fundamentally changed by Sherlock's death. He did not have to resist working with Sherlock before because it was just what they did and both loved. But then the fall disrupts everything. John is a man with trust issues and in TEH he feels betrayed by the one person he trusted above all others. 

Remember, this is the first time we see John after the wedding and he clearly is not happy without Sherlock and dreams about him. He cycles to work instead of going by car together with his wife and this after having been married for a few weeks. IMO he is all over the place and does not know how to reconcile these sides of his life. And it is in this situation that all happens at once - the drug den, Magnussen in the flat, Janine, the break-in, the shooting. 

I am just trying to explain how much is going on in John because it might explain his strange reactions throughout the episode. 

Makes sense. Though, in the very first episode-- we see John struggle with himself not to run after Sherlock-- and after that, he gets caught up in it. So, I do think he's always been one to be a follower-- looking for a leader. Maybe that explains Sholto?

Board footera