BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2015 9:39 am  #41

Re: Benedict is a Married Man!

That they don't like each other is a bit exaggerated I suppose. After all Martin usually said in interviews that they are friendly with each other and when seeing them together on set or during Sherlock premiers they behave nice to each other as well. But yes, I also think that they have very different personalities and not much in common. I can also imagine that all the fuss around Benedict about the fans which is overinflated by the press but a strain on their relationship as well.
And about Amanda not congratulating. What would be the point? Benedict is not on Twitter and as far as I know none of the other cast and crew members tweeted any congratulations as well. I am sure, she and Martin wish them luck and congratulated in an other appropriate way.

P.S.: Cross-posted. Hadn't seen your comment Kerkerian. But fully agree 

Last edited by stoertebeker (February 15, 2015 9:41 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 15, 2015 9:41 am  #42

Well, she makes jokes about him on Twitter, so she might as well congratulate him on Twitter, esp when she mentions his wedding.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 15, 2015 9:47 am  #43

Kerkerian wrote:

JenHart wrote:

Tinks wrote:

I have to say, it was obvious that the story about Martin being best man was rubbish; you can tell from Amanda's tweets that they are not close to Ben at all; even when she made it known that the story was untrue, she didn't wish any happiness or congrats to the couple - just pointed out that the idea of MF being his best man was making her laugh!
Anyway, that aside, I wish them, as I'd wish all newlyweds, a long and happy life together.

I'm surprised she didn't at least congratulate them, after all, they have met, and Martin and Ben have filmed together for some years.

Just because Amanda didn't do it via twitter (and why should she, since Ben isn't even on it), it doesn't necessarily mean that she and Martin didn't congratulate them. They may not be close friends, but they'll have each other's contact info.

It's true that they could congratulate him privately - for me though, there's just something about AA's behaviour on Twitter where BC is concerned; she could simply have stated that MF wasn't Best Man but she "laughed" at the very idea of it - as though the very notion he'd be a Best Man to BC was ridiculous; she's intelligent - even when further questioned she still didn't qualify her comment by wishing him all the best, and she'll know what some will take from that.
He's not on twitter, it's true, but it doesn't mean she couldn't have said something nice.
On his Oscar nomination, for instance, other colleagues tweeted their congrats - the only comment AA made was to say that no, the cast wouldn't be taking time out from filming to watch the nominations come in.
Anyway, my apologies for dragging the thread off topic, and I hope I don't come over as too  cynical about this; it's just an interpretation I have of this particular situation.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 9:49 am  #44

Harriet wrote:

Well, she makes jokes about him on Twitter, so she might as well congratulate him on Twitter, esp when she mentions his wedding.

This sums things up very nicely, and is much more to the point than my waffling

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 10:14 am  #45

Harriet wrote:

This is just speculation, of course, because I don't know her personally, but from what I've seen and read of her so far, Amanda seems to be a pretty straightforward person who is confident enough not to feel the need to cater to people's ideas of her. Maybe, apart from what I said before, she simply doesn't feel compelled to congratulate BC on twitter just because the fans are expecting it of her.
(Incidentally, have a look at her twitter today- people are overreacting again, as usual, and two hours ago she wrote "Ben is my friend" in the context of a tweet. Gosh, I wonder why she puts up with it at all.)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

February 15, 2015 10:18 am  #46

I have my very own theory about why 'she puts up with it', and that includes that it doesn't have anything to do with 'putting up with it' at all. But that's really not for this thread.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 15, 2015 11:01 am  #47

If she couldn´t say anything nice and congratulate the couple, she could very well avoid the topic alltogether, IMHO. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2015 11:05 am  #48

And again hyped drama on tumblr. I don't really see the problem, it was a small wedding, why should you invite a collegue even if you like him and I think they do. I also have collegues that I like very much, that I don't meet outside work, why should we, we already spent 40 hours a week together. Obviously Andrew became a closer friend, but I think they knew each other before Sherlock. 
And I agree, people (and media) project the Sherlock/John relationship on them. 

Last edited by Ivy (February 15, 2015 11:06 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 15, 2015 11:13 am  #49

nakahara wrote:

If she couldn´t say anything nice and congratulate the couple, she could very well avoid the topic alltogether, IMHO. 

The term Freedom of Speech comes to mind... maybe she wasn't aware that apparently it became compulsory to congratulate someone just because she mentioned them after people have been bugging her about it...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

February 15, 2015 11:29 am  #50

Do you actually think we are here on the level of "Freedom of Speech"? After after all, that is something brave people fought for for centuries, died for it and still are paying with their life. I think it's more appropriate to speak of a personal decision in Amanda's case than of a matter of Human Rights. She's not being persecuted for her ideas, after all, just politely criticized here on this board.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 15, 2015 11:34 am  #51

Firstly: an apology - I'm cranky this morning and I'm painfully aware that I'm commenting on things that I'd usually stay silent on.
Secondly: I'm only stating my personal opinion and I'm fully aware and accept that others can and probably will disagree with me.
I'm saying this because I don't, as a rule, carry on with a debate for too long because I like and respect everyone on here and don't want to appear to be "arguing" with anyone.

But I feel that Amanda knows, by now, how people react to certain things and it's very easy to stop these over reactions occurring or at least to put a stop to them as soon as they start by clarifying matters.
She always seems to choose not to.

Which of course is a choice she's fully entitled to make.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 11:35 am  #52

I agree, Harriet.
And if she talks and jokes (sometimes in quite below the belt way) about people who are not on Twitter, she should also have the decency to congratulate them on their wedding day or at least abstain from remarks like those she posted yesterday. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 11:35 am  #53

Sigh. The drama! I'm off now, this isn't leading anywhere.

February 15, 2015 11:47 am  #54

Ok, if the drama around Amanda´s tweet is over, let´s have some article about the details of Ben´s wedding day - very interesting:

http://www.people.com/article/benedict-cumberbatch-sophie-hunter-wedding-details?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Dame Judi Dench has sent a lovely greeting to the couple:

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/benedict-cumberbatch-marries-pregnant-fiancee-sophie-hunter-details-2015142

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2015 11:49 am  #55

Thanks for posting the Dench link, nakahara. I couldn't find it anywhere 

February 15, 2015 11:51 am  #56

It was my pleasure. 

February 15, 2015 12:33 pm  #57

Y'all do realize that even if Martin had been invited to the wedding--and with a guest list of under 40, he and Amanda almost certainly wouldn't have been, not being "oldest and dearest" friends--he couldn't have come, since they just started shooting the Taliban Shuffle film.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 15, 2015 12:53 pm  #58

I´m very happy for Ben and Sophie.. guests and location look gorgeous, I´m sure they had a wonderful day! And although I´d of course looove to see pictures of Sophie´s dress and Benedict and his parents all smiling and happy, I´m glad they managed to keep it private, just as they wanted.

February 15, 2015 1:49 pm  #59

There has been an official announcement from Ben's PA spokesperson, Karon Maskill, on his marriage confirming that they had wed this past weekend, surrounded by family and close friends. She described it as a "magical day".

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 15, 2015 1:51 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 2:06 pm  #60

Big congratulations to Benedict and Sophie!

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

Board footera