BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2015 3:20 pm  #1381

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Kittyhawk wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

With the info that we are given about Mary, is there any reason to think of her as Heroic? 

Maybe not heroic, but it's definitely very brave (or suicidal) to ride pillion behind a guy whom you don't know (and vice versa). Besides, "There are no heroes!" - so why should Mary be one?

Whether Sherlock feels  that he's a Hero or not, he's clearly represented as one, as is John. I'm still trying to find evidence of Mary's Heroism....

July 9, 2015 3:36 pm  #1382

SusiGo wrote:

I am not sure if this is where Moffat finds his inspiration ... if anything I would look at his other work which is why I started a Moffat's women thread. 

Agreed. Plus, we forget that Mary' didn't want John to look at the memory stick with her present, because, "you won't love me anymore,when you've finished." John is ex-military, he's used to Mycroft and his clandestine spy stuff, he would've understood -- unless Mary did something unforgivable. Like , for instance, being one of Moriarty's snipers.

Also, I know some want to shove Magnusson's comments about Mary under the rug, but the fact is, Mary was threatened enough by him that she felt the need to go after him. If her past was only problematic, why not just talk to John? He would have helped her. If Mary didn't trust John, why marry him?

July 9, 2015 3:57 pm  #1383

tonnaree wrote:

For all we know neither face we've seen is the "real" face and there could be a third that we haven't guessed at.

Exactly! And you mustn't forget that love and being in love (maybe she is with John ...) can change everything. So maybe not only the audience, but also Mary is still struggling to find her real face. Moreover, maybe she has changed or is still changing in the upcoming episodes. And you mustn't forget that we don't know anything about her motivations to become an assasin. As I've already mentioned before, maybe she's been forced into everything.
Ok, a lot of maybes ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 9, 2015 5:46 pm  #1384

So has she been forced to shoot Sherlock, too?
No, this is.....   If she is trying to change, she is not very good at it.....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 9, 2015 5:54 pm  #1385

That's just because she's been conditioned this way. Give her time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 9, 2015 5:57 pm  #1386

Honestly-- (and this may just be *my* thing) I have a problem with the idea that being in love excuses Mary's behavior. 

This kind of thinking is what a lot of women have fought against-- the idea that we're incapable of logic and reason, that we can't be accountable for anything when love, pregancy hormones, or just our whims-- are involved. If they take that tack with Mary, I'll be very disappointed; it would mean putting her character into an old  1950's stereotype, and it would completely undermine any power she has as a character. 

And that's a problem. Suddenly, a dynamic, powerful female character (and she is-- whether you like her or not) becomes weak, unreliable, incapable of self-control, incapable of making her own choices and standing by them...is that what we really want?

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 9, 2015 5:58 pm)

July 9, 2015 6:00 pm  #1387

Very good point, I totally agree with you.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 9, 2015 6:16 pm  #1388

Kittyhawk wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

With the info that we are given about Mary, is there any reason to think of her as Heroic? 

Maybe not heroic, but it's definitely very brave (or suicidal) to ride pillion behind a guy whom you don't know (and vice versa). Besides, "There are no heroes!" - so why should Mary be one?

Actually, I've done that. Nice guy, riding a Triumph. Fun ride! The second time I did it, I got engaged to the guy-- he gave me a ride home from work on his Honda Shadow. 

July 9, 2015 6:23 pm  #1389

I don't think love excuses anything, and I don't think it's being shown as a weakness.  I'd be irritated too if I thought the series was showing that only women can be swayed by love - but we do see men being influenced too. 

Yes, if Mary didn't love John, she'd have killed Magnussen, and yes, that would have been the safest, most logical thing for her to do.  But I don't think she's shown as weak or lacking self-control for not doing it - she's obviously perfectly capable of being ruthless, but this is a considered, controlled choice, even if motivated by love. 

July 9, 2015 6:30 pm  #1390

I don't think I'm understanding ... Mary refrained from shooting Magnussen because she loved John? 
Then, why on earth did she shoot Sherlock? I don't get it. 

July 9, 2015 6:49 pm  #1391

And this is where it gets complicated ...

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 9, 2015 9:07 pm  #1392

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I don't think I'm understanding ... Mary refrained from shooting Magnussen because she loved John? 

Again, it was partly because of John - she said later that if John found out it would break him and she would lose him and she would do anything to avoid that.  Shooting Sherlock was part of avoiding that, wasn't it?  (And leaving Magnussen alive was necessary so that John wasn't a suspect - it's not the most compelling of reasons, but it's the one we're given).

Now I know people say that she must have believed that Sherlock being shot (and taking the risk of him being killed) would break John more than losing his wife and child.   But actually, I think it's quite possible that she doesn't think that.   She did see John deeply affected by Sherlock's "death", but also saw him falling in love with her during this time, so she has a rather skewed view.  I think she believes that the version of Mary that he's fallen for really is good for him.   And also, love can sometimes have possessive, selfish elements: shooting Sherlock was a way of holding on to John as well as a way of trying to prevent him being broken.   At least, I think that's the picture we're being shown (subject to change according to whatever is revealed in S4, of course!). 

So I don't think we're being shown that Mary in particular or women in general are weak, lacking self-control, etc., when in love.  Love might change the motivation and the decisions, but Mary's actions do seem to be kind of rational, given what she knows and believes, and her background. 

Last edited by Liberty (July 9, 2015 9:14 pm)

July 9, 2015 9:15 pm  #1393

Liberty wrote:

Now I know people say that she must have believed that Sherlock being shot (and taking the risk of him being killed) would break John more than losing his wife and child.   But actually, I think it's quite possible that she doesn't think that.   She did see John deeply affected by Sherlock's "death", but also saw him falling in love with her during this time, so she has a rather skewed view.  I think she believes that the version of Mary that he's fallen for her really is good for him.   And also, love can sometimes have possessive, selfish elements: shooting Sherlock was a way of holding on to John as well as a way of trying to prevent him being broken.   At least, I think that's the picture we're being shown (subject to change according to whatever is revealed in S4, of course!). 

If people really think that then I cease to see how can they still consider Mary to be a symphatetic character. The behaviour described in the paragraph above is the very definition of selfishness and irresponsibility, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 9, 2015 9:16 pm  #1394

Liberty wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Again, it was partly because of John - she said later that if John found out it would break him and she would lose him and she would do anything to avoid that.  Shooting Sherlock was part of avoiding that, wasn't it?  (And leaving Magnussen alive was necessary so that John wasn't a suspect - it's not the most compelling of reasons, but it's the one we're given).

Now I know people say that she must have believed that Sherlock being shot (and taking the risk of him being killed) would break John more than losing his wife and child.   But actually, I think it's quite possible that she doesn't think that.   She did see John deeply affected by Sherlock's "death", but also saw him falling in love with her during this time, so she has a rather skewed view.  I think she believes that the version of Mary that he's fallen for her really is good for him.   And also, love can sometimes have possessive, selfish elements: shooting Sherlock was a way of holding on to John as well as a way of trying to prevent him being broken.   At least, I think that's the picture we're being shown (subject to change according to whatever is revealed in S4, of course!). 

So I don't think we're being shown that Mary in particular or women in general are weak, lacking self-control, etc., when in love.  Love might change the motivation and the decisions, but Mary's actions do seem to be kind of rational, given what she knows and believes, and her background. 

You know-- that explanation actually makes me like Mary even less-- because she treated Sherlock as a friend, let him plan her wedding--and all the time she thought of him as disposable. It means that the concept of loyalty is foreign to her, if it interferes with what she wants. And. apparently-- what she wants is more important to her than anyone else's needs, wishes, -- and that include's John's. I doubt John would agree with Mary's stance on shooting Sherlock. 

I feel sorry for John. He's not a prize, nor is he a toy to be fought over, yet his needs, his wishes don't matter. All that matters is what Mary wants. That kind of obessive love is characteristic of stalkers and other abusive people-- so, now I think I'm a little creeped out!   I need Ice Cream!

July 9, 2015 9:17 pm  #1395

Mattlocked wrote:

So has she been forced to shoot Sherlock, too?
No, this is..... If she is trying to change, she is not very good at it.....

No, but that wasn't the point I was talking about. I just wanted to say, that we don't know anything about the reasons why Mary got an assasin THEN.
I don't excuse her shooting at Sherlock and accepting the possible consequence that he might die by this shot!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 10, 2015 9:46 am  #1396

Well, she did.

"Round and round the garden, like a teddy bear........"

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 10, 2015 9:56 am  #1397

tonnaree wrote:

Sorry Kitty. But I can't see that as a totally accurate comparasion.  Ethan does keep his entire life as a spy a secret from his wife but it's made clear he's on the side of the "good guys."   We have no absolute evidence one way or another for Mary's past. 

If the circumstances were exactly the same, Sherlock would plagiarise MI3, wouldn't it? But for me the circumstances are similar enough. Posters here were blaming Mary for keeping her past from John and I'm merely pointing out that that is perfectly normal, generally acceptable behaviour for fictional characters with a shady past (I wonder whether John told Mary that he murdered that cabbie? Probably not - I don't think he talked a lot (or at all) about his work with Sherlock.)

And it's true that we have no evidence whether Mary is "on the side of the angels" or not - and that's what this thread is all about, isn't it? Though I really like to imagine her as being a member of MIF (Mission Impossible Force), which would also explain how she got into Magnussen's office building (that's a reference to MI: Ghost Protocol, another very entertaining movie).

tonnaree wrote:

Also, and to me the most important difference, Ethan did not try to kill or injure his wife's best friend.....

No, that's another Tom Cruise character - the hero of Knight and Day! (Which is something like a parody of MI:2 with a hilarious first half and rather lame end. Not essential watching... And no, the circumstances are not identical either, because the shot guy doesn't almost die. Fact is, Knight says "Don't follow me or I shoot", the guy follows, Knight shoots. See the similarity?).

As for who is represented as a hero in the show - I suppose it depends on one's definition of "hero". For me none of the protagonists are a shiny white (except maybe Greg Lestrade, but does he even count as protagonist? And probably we simply haven't been shown his dark side ;) ). Sherlock, John and Mary all are somewhere on the grey spectrum...

July 11, 2015 7:35 pm  #1398

Are we saying that hero means "shiny white"? Sherlock is definitely a hero-- though he woudln't call himself such, and is quite grey...

I think, here-- intent matters. It's one thing to kill to save someone's life. It's another to do it because you want to save your relationship.

July 11, 2015 8:14 pm  #1399

I found this quote by Steven Moffat quite interesting. It is from SDCC panel:

This may apply to all sorts of plot twists but here he was speaking expressly about Mary with the gun in her hand. And it indicates that we indeed get hints that something is off with her if we look closely. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 11, 2015 8:39 pm  #1400

Swanpride wrote:

Yeah, but Mary's intent wasn't to kill, it was to delay Sherlock long enough that she could talk to him later on. And if she intended to kill Magnussen...well, if she had done it, Sherlock wouldn't be forced to do it.

Rephrase: it's one thing to Grieviously Wound someone Nearly to Death to save another's life; it's another to Grieviously Wound someone Nearly to Death in order to delay them so you can talk to them about not telling that person's best friend (and your husband)  that you lied to them since the day you met them, that you were an ex-asassin with people chasing after you that could "burn your whole life down"-- along with your husband and child's. 

Saying Mary didn't mean to kill Sherlock doesn't actually make it better.   :-(

Board footera