BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2015 10:01 pm  #681

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Whisky wrote:

I think that's the problem with Mary - she isn't honest. But she has her reasons for that: fear of loosing John maybe? I wonder if Sherlock ever told John the whole truth about his two years away. Judging from John's behaviour, I don't think he has. I wonder about that: I would expect John to treat Sherlock differently if he knew the whole truth. I know I know, they aren't going to be married, but they are best friends... best man... there should be honesty and openess. I also doubt John told Sherlock all about his past? Sherlock didn't know about Sholto from John... he googled Sholto in the internet. So yes, while I agree Mary lies in a very spectacular way, it's not like everyone else is behaving in the "right" and best way. But nobody would berate Sherlock and John for keeping secrets from each other, althouth they are damn close... just saying. I suspect that John has killed in the army. Him being such a good shot, his violent dreams... he doesn't talk about it. Can't we assume that Mary is also uncomfortable to talk about her past? Why does she have to, and John and Sherlock don't need to? Has John told Mary all about his army years? The bad things? The stuff that went wrong? If he did, it's not shown.

I wonder what Mary told John. Because we don't know that either. Orphan, yes, but there must have been questions about her job and all...

It's not like I am a huge Mary fan, she is too ambiguous for that. I would just like to point out how we see Mary's faults but not Sherlock's. Even if they aren't the same.

I honestly think that John´s and Sherlock´s secrets are incomparable with those of Mary.

Sherlock could have kept secret what he was doing for two years but does that mean John doesn´t know him? Absolutely not - John knows his character quite well and he also knows much about his family, brother, parents, his aquaintance with Mrs. Hudson... Sherlock too doesn´t know everything about John´s past but again, he knows his character and the circumstances of his family, the rest he can deduce with his skills.

While we don´t know single fact about Mary, about her real life and past, about her real character, even about her true name... sorry, but to compare her and our main duo is like comparing a Himalaya with a Mariana Trench. Those two have secrets but "Mary Morstan" is a construct that is fake altogether - and the true person under the mask, AGRA, is absolutely unknown to us. If John married a random passer-by from the street, he would probably know more facts about her than he knows about "Mary".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 14, 2015 10:37 pm  #682

But we have reason to assume that Mary did a lot of bad things. It is not just supported by Magnussen (who is usually right in his pressure points) but also by her own statement that John will not love her anymore if he reads the contents of the flash drive and learns about her past. 

On the other hand we do not get such hints with regard to Sherlock and John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2015 10:42 pm  #683

Whisky wrote:

Moriarty is after him for fun. Others because he messes around in their dirty operations. Mary is just a step further: she makes sure the people cannot come after her. That's morally pretty dark, but Sherlock tried the same with Moriarty. What would have been the outcome in TRF if Moriarty hadn't shot himself? Had Sherlock killed him, or given him to the court where Moriarty just blackmails everyone again to walk free again? Same problem as with Magnusson.

In this version of Sherlock, his final duel with Moriarty is not motivated by Sherlock´s effort to end Moriarty´s organisation, but to save himself and his friends. During the whole TRF, he is hounded by Moriarty and finally faced with a option to committ suicide or to see his friends die. 

=6.5pt[size=100]So if Moriarty did not shot himself dead, nothing big would really change for Sherlock - he would still fake his suicide to save his three important people.

In the scene of TRF where Moriarty is shot, it is apparent that Sherlock never did foresee that - he is genuinely shocked and shaken. His original plan to save himself was almost certainly counting on Moriarty´s survival.[/size]

Whisky wrote:

And what did Sherlock do in Serbia? Playing cards? He was tortured. Pretty sure he killed people there. Bringing down a criminal network... did he really give all those people he found to a prison? With powerful people out there to bail them? With the knowledge they will be after him the moment they leave prison? He wanted to get RID of them. There is only one sure way... I don't believe in Sherlock's innocence.

He could manipulate them to turn against each other, fake clues that would lead authorities to them without his presence in a case being known, infiltrate the network and then make their plans backfire and let the criminals being removed or killed by the authorities... there are many ways how to do that for a person who is intelligent and officially declared dead. Sherlock did not need to make his own hands dirty. 

Really, if Sherlock is an experienced killer, then his characterisation in HLV is all wrong. His shooting of CAM is very emotional and Sherlock is obviously torn and shaken by his own deed - which does not leave an impression that he´s ever done that before. Moreover, if he planned to kill CAM beforehand, he had intelligence to plan it in a much more clever, bulletproof way which would not leave him vulnerable, or thrust him to the hands of authorities. From what we see in the story, it seems as if CAM´s murder was the very last, desperate solution before a complete disaster of CAM having both Mycroft and Watsons under his thumb and not a decision of an experienced killer to remove his target in his usual way (Mary´s coldblooded shooting of Sherlock makes a very good comparison of how it looks if an experienced murderer kills his victims).

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 14, 2015 10:47 pm  #684

I agree. IMO Sherlock and John cannot be compared to Mary, their motives and their whole behaviour with regard to violence are completely different. This does not mean that they do not make questionable decisions now and then but they are meant to be basically positive characters, the protagonists of the show. Equalling them to Mary IMO would mean to turn the show upside down. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 14, 2015 10:53 pm  #685

SusiGo wrote:

I agree. IMO Sherlock and John cannot be compared to Mary, their motives and their whole behaviour with regard to violence are completely different. This does not mean that they do not make questionable decisions now and then but they are meant to be basically positive characters, the protagonists of the show. Equalling them to Mary IMO would mean to turn the show upside down. 

Precisely. As I said yesterday, this show is still based on Doyle, not on Patricia Highsmith and the universe of our heroes is not presumed to be completely amoral. I don´t think Moftiss are aiming for that.

March 14, 2015 10:56 pm  #686

Yes, that is true. For me the "side of the angels" quote is still one of the best statements about Sherlock. And it seems at least questionable if we can put Mary on the side of the angels. 

March 15, 2015 12:04 am  #687

Yes, Mary will never be one of the angles. It seems safe to assume that she has been "on the other side" in the past, where she is right now, I don't know. On the one hand she has chosen to become a nurse of all things, surrounding herself with people in need of help her help. On the other hand, she is still capable of picking up a gun and shooting someone if she feels that she has to do it. To me she seems like someone who is still on the edge, still floating between sides a bit. I think her future actions will determine on which side she will end up.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 15, 2015 12:06 am  #688

nakahara wrote:

In the scene of TRF where Moriarty is shot, it is apparent that Sherlock never did foresee that - he is genuinely shocked and shaken. His original plan to save himself was almost certainly counting on Moriarty´s survival.

I just wonder what Sherlock thought would happen to Moriarty in the end of the game. I mean, Moriarty proved he could get out of a court case easily. So what means were there to finally stop him? What had Sherlock planned for that roof meetup?
I'm just saying, Sherlock finally shooting Magnusson might not be as random as it appears. Maybe Moriarty is a key to this development in Sherlock - that he finally decides to kill as a way of stopping someone. And I wonder if Sherlock's shooting of Magnusson will change Sherlock's approach to Moriarty... if he should be back (which I hope not)...

nakahara wrote:

Sherlock did not need to make his own hands dirty.

I am not sure. He seemed under pressure. I don't know, I am not sure I can assume he managed to get through two years without getting any dirt on his hands. It just feels unlikely to me. What would he for example do in a case of self-defense? I suppose if he was threatened, he would defend himself. Maybe shoot someone. Which would be still self-defense, but leads to your second point:

nakahara wrote:

Really, if Sherlock is an experienced killer, then his characterisation in HLV is all wrong.

That's true. I suppose it could still be true that it is the first actual murder he commits. Because self-defense would be in another category. Although I keep thinking about how he said he isn't an angel. Being on the side of the angels just means defending and helping their cause. It doesn't mean to keep his own hands clean. And he hurt people willingly. He might have had a reason to hurt the cabbie, for information or whatever. But throwing that guy out of that window on Mrs. Hudsons bins was nothing but revenge and hurting someone in cold blood. I don't want to say that makes Sherlock also capable of cold-blooded murder, murder is still a big step further. And I agree that he is very emotional while shooting Magnusson. But I really don't want to close my eyes to the fact that he has this streak of not-good-behaviour.

Mary could be on either side right now, in the process of switching, whatever. But Sherlock also has toes on the borderline, and I think he crossed it once with shooting Magnusson, and if he crossed it again, it could lead to a path that could be similar to a path that Mary once went down. Theoretically, because it's still a show about a great detective, and we know it's not going there. But it's interesting characterization, I think. And that's what I mean with similarities. I don't think they are in the same place. I just think they have the same potential in a certain way.
Makes me think of that Harry Potter quote: "It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.'

Last edited by Whisky (March 15, 2015 12:20 am)

"It is what it is."

March 15, 2015 1:08 am  #689

Lola Red wrote:

I see what your mean, but I feel the more impact the staging has, the more convincing it is usually shown. The scene in the tube in TEH, I absolutely believed they were in grave danger and Sherlock meant it when he apologized for first ruining John’s life by faking his death and then ruining it again by coming back and causing him to stand next to a bomb about to explode. Afterwards I interpret his little chuckle after John says “You’re just trying to make me say something nice” as a give away of cause, but back than I did not see it that way. In the TRF, I believed Sherlock was saying good bye to John, but that was staged, too. So if the forgiveness is staged, I will probably be able to see the signs in retrospective, but for now it seems sincere to me (though I still wish we would have seen more of the process of how and why Mary was forgiven)

But do you think such a thing would be staged without a sign for that long? In TRF, the signs were all there. What could then possibly be the signs for this? Is there anything that, in aftermath, can be seen as staging between Sherlock and John?

Also, I believe Sherlock killing Magnussen was mainly for John's sake. (To keep Mary safe, but only because she meant so much to John). I think this is the most selfless act Sherlock has ever done, even outdoing the fall. I think that the drugs and Janine, that was the selfish Sherlock as we know him. But shooting Magnussen? I think that was for John, no one else.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 15, 2015 1:13 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2015 1:33 am  #690

I honestly cannot say. All I know is that right now it all seems sincere to me, but I have been fooled before and most of the time I could see it once I had more information. Right now I could see either “side” yelling a happy “called it” next season. I myself tend to believe the forgiveness was sincere, but I cannot exclude the possibility of a very convincing staging. If that is the case, they totally got me.
Would the writers leave us hanging with a lot of unanswered question for so long? Definitely.

Last edited by Lola Red (March 15, 2015 1:33 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 15, 2015 1:36 am  #691

Oh, they definitly would. But I also think they would give us clear hints and clues. I see no hint of anything between Sherlock and John that leads me to believe they have staged something.

But, yeah, it remains to be seen if that is the case.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2015 8:22 am  #692

Yes, I think they've left room to go either way.  No bridges have been burned. 

I think that Sherlock is shown as almost Christ-like in S3, so it's impossible to compare him with Mary.

I do think there's more to his distress about killing Magnussen (that we see after Magnussen shows him the vaults) than the idea of killing someone in cold blood.  He must also know how he's going to have to do it, and the consequences (risking his own death).    He's going to publicly become a murderer and go to some sort of hell (be it prison or exile) that he may not return from ... it has some parallels with the ending of TRF.   I think he is well aware of those consequences when he's contemplating what he (feels he) has to do. 

Moriarty's death is a bit ambiguous.  Whatever he says, my head canon is that he deliberately talked Moriarty into suicide and that was at least one of the planned scenarios.   He couldn't have gone ahead with Lazarus while Moriarty was alive and watching him.   Even if suicide wasn't planned, there had to have been some other plan to kill Moriarty - the trick was having a safe way to kill Moriarty.   (And I do think it's plausible that Sherlock and Mycroft would have planned to have Moriarty killed - there didn't seem to be any other way to deal with him, as the law didn't work).

We still don't know exactly why Mary killed, except that it looks like she was originally employed and then went freelance.   There could have been good or bad reasons for freelancing (maybe "good" is a stretch, but I mean that maybe she wanted to kill those people who "deserved to die" and were above the law - like Magnussen and Moriarty). 

As for what's on the stick that would make John stop loving her, that's really interesting and I hope it gets elaborated in S4.    The implication is "you could love me knowing that I'm an assassin, but you wouldn't love me if you knew this" - i.e. something other than "just" being an assassin, a cold-blooded killer.    It has to be something much worse (what's worse than her being an assassin?), or something more personal (such as that she killed somebody John knew, for instance - although she's come close to that anyway with shooting Sherlock!).    I've wondered if it could be that she was actually working when she met John and that she initially courted him as a secret agent.   Or maybe she had connections with the other side while John was in Afghanistan. 

March 15, 2015 8:43 am  #693

Interesting thoughts, Liberty.

I just want to sum up: Mary did something in her past that sge thinks Jign will regard as worse than being an assassin and worse than shooting Sherlock.

Does anybody have a headcanon about what she did that fits the description?

For me, it is impossible to come up with sonething that fits that I could forgive her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 15, 2015 9:15 am  #694

Being associated with Moriarty?

March 15, 2015 9:46 am  #695

I have had the same thought (since someone pointed out in another thread that Mary seemed strangely affected by the Moriarty gif). We know she has been “Mary” for 5 years when she shoots Sherlock. Where would that place her identity change in the timeline of the show, around TGG? But we also know that she is “not English”, so I assume that she came to England around that time to go into hiding. But why come to the very city where Moriarty is based? I cannot come up with a convincing headcanon yet.

March 15, 2015 10:22 am  #696

She's had that identity for five years, but it doesn't mean she's been "good" all that time ... she could still have been working under the Mary Morstan identity.   There's that comment in the commentary about her being like Sherlock and John in that she can't go longer than six months without an adventure ... if that's the case, how has she managed five years?  

Moriarty is a possibility, but I feel that he's more Sherlock's nemesis than John's - that it wouldn't be so personal for John. 

Also, if there was a Moriarty connection, you'd expect Sherlock to have come across it - even perhaps when he was destroying Moriarty's network.   If it was a possibility at all in HLV, Sherlock would have investigated, wouldn't he?  But who knows ... maybe he did, and that will be revealed later.   Maybe he's keeping quiet as part of a greater plan, or maybe she was working against Moriarty.   I feel I want to know if Moriarty really is alive or not (because I still feel it's open for him to be dead).

I don't have a particular headcanon, but I kind of like the idea that she was still undercover when she met John, and perhaps was even targetting him.  But that raises all sorts of questions - did she know Sherlock was alive and was using John to get to Sherlock (to get to Mycroft)?    As for forgiving her - yes, if she turns out to be otherwise good, I think I could forgive her for initially targetting John then genuinely falling for him.   But it would be more difficult for John to forgive, maybe, hence "you won't love me". 

I've played with some other ideas, such as her having a secret child, husband, etc., but they're not really grabbing me.

March 15, 2015 11:00 am  #697

True we have no proof that she was not active in those five years, I just assumed that she could not work in her old profession anymore when she was trying to hide from her past, it would put her into circles that could eventually identify her. That is assuming Sherlock’s deductions about her are correct.
I kind of think being planted at John’s side would qualify as something unforgivable. She only was with him for a relatively short time before Sherlock came back, so she could have been planted by someone who knew when Sherlock was bound to return. But that seems to qualify for that terrible overdone trope of “I started out pretending I like you, but now it’s real love”. In that case I would actually prefer her to just be a master actress and never caring for John at all, but I find her love for him very convincing - if a bit not good when it boils down to shooting people so he will not stop loving her. But that might be more my dislike for that certain trope that what would be a more likely scenario.

March 15, 2015 1:44 pm  #698

Think the writers will solve it the way they kinda did TRF.
Everyone will be right and also wrong...so my headcanon goes something like..
Mary was cia and sent undercover to infiltrate Moriarty...then had to be naughty and wicked so the cia abandoned her...leaving her freelance...Moriarty got a little more insane...so she vanished herself and became Mary Morston...then Moriarty and Sherlocks death hit the papers so....she looked for John to see if it was really true and she was safe......then SH turned up....and  Magnussen....so hmmm one more kill NP......etc...@her panic that Moriarty is alive
So next maybe Moriarty or other bad guys expose all this..@she kills them.....which is all fine for SH but maybe too much for Johns strong moral principles....so she vanishes herself again....maybe from the cops or witness protection and leaves John a..... Dear John......You love Sherlock more....so stay and solve cases and have a happy ever after.......
Thus we are all correct ,Mary bad ass doing bad things is redeemed to Mary bad ass doing good things...... the shippers unite , and the fromance goes on.....
(@Fromance.... romantic friends like SH@JW goes into the dictionary) .

Last edited by lil (March 15, 2015 1:44 pm)

March 15, 2015 2:18 pm  #699

Swanpride wrote:

The way Sherlock talks with her ex-boyfriend means that she was in a normal realtionship with him before she meet John. And considering how similiar he looks to John, the suggestion is clearly that this is simply her "type" and that she was leading a normal life before she encountered John. When John and Mary marry they know each other for roughtly 2 years (John mentions that they have been together for one year when he tries to propose, and the actual wedding happens the following year). That would leave three years in this identity before she met John, and during this time, she had a "normal" relationship. To me it looks like the writers were telling the audience that she tried to have a new life as Mary until Magnussen threatened to destroy it.

john and mary know each other for around six months tops. Where did you hear him say an exact date? They don't mention any date.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 15, 2015 2:25 pm  #700

tykobrian wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

The way Sherlock talks with her ex-boyfriend means that she was in a normal realtionship with him before she meet John. And considering how similiar he looks to John, the suggestion is clearly that this is simply her "type" and that she was leading a normal life before she encountered John. When John and Mary marry they know each other for roughtly 2 years (John mentions that they have been together for one year when he tries to propose, and the actual wedding happens the following year). That would leave three years in this identity before she met John, and during this time, she had a "normal" relationship. To me it looks like the writers were telling the audience that she tried to have a new life as Mary until Magnussen threatened to destroy it.

john and mary know each other for around six months tops. Where did you hear him say an exact date? They don't mention any date.

I'm typing from my phone so sorry for any typos. We have pretty firm evidence that Mary is a very new addition to John’s life. John says so in his first attempt at a proposal, that “we haven’t known each other for a long time.” I would be a bit surprised if they’d been dating an entire year. A year is a fairly reasonable amount of time to date a person before considering marriage, I think. Not the longest time on record, but certainly not a remarkably short amount of time. At least, not one that requires specially noting as part of a proposal. The only number we know for a fact is six months, because that’s how long John’s been growing the moustache, and how long Mary has been putting up with it (“Six months of bristly kisses,” Mary says.) There’s very little evidence that John started growing a moustache shortly before or after meeting Mary, but I think it would make emotional sense to pair John’s moustache with their relationship. John’s life changed when he met her, and it makes sense to me that that’s the point when he would decided to change his appearance, as he felt his life veering in a different direction. The New John, as it were.

Supporting that idea is the fact that John didn’t have a moustache through the worst of his mourning (he doesn’t have it in Many Happy Returns, nor does Mary appear to be in the picture at that point), and he shaves off the moustache hours before heading back to Sherlock. That’s mostly speculation, though. What’s definitely true, however, is that John and Mary haven’t known each other for whatever John considers to be a long time.

Last edited by tykobrian (March 15, 2015 2:32 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

Board footera