BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2017 3:47 pm  #5021

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I don't think it's terrible - I think it explains where she's coming from, and part of the reason why she felt she couldn't let him know (the other reason being to protect him, I suppose). 

Of course it's up to the viewers, and she's no angel, but the story doesn't make much sense if Mary is an out and out baddie, with evil intent.    I know that was what some people wanted from S4 (and I was quite keen on the idea of Mary as an uber-villain at one point myself), but it wasn't what we are given, and I don't think the story can be twisted round to show her that way, by claiming that her evil deeds were missed out, but implied.   I mean, it can for fanfiction obviously, or if people want to interpret it that way, but objectively speaking, I think it's difficult to claim that Moftiss intended it that way.  

May 30, 2017 3:57 pm  #5022

I didn't say black, I'vergessen said grey.

Mary as an uber-villain would have been more than great but unfortunately not what we got.

We did get a character that did not manage to fulfil John. He has never looked happier than in the end, when he is with Sherlock and Rosie. I have never seen him that happy with Mary - or with Sherlock alone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 30, 2017 7:11 pm  #5023

Yes, I know you said grey, but talking generally, having done something evil would push her more to the blacker side.   However, I think if they haven't told us about it, then she hasn't done it. 
I do think John has quite a different relationship with Sherlock and with Rosie than he does with Mary!  (Although there are a few similarities with Sherlock, I have to admit - both relationships involve banter and love!).  But yes, it's sad that they have very little time for to be relaxed and happy together - there's the reconciliation, then pretty quickly into having a baby and dealing with the difficulties that brings, then Mary's past catching up with her, and then she's dead, and John is devastated.   She really had a very short time of family life, and it was the most difficult time, with the sleepless nights and getting used to sacrifices and responsibilities.  

May 30, 2017 7:19 pm  #5024

I just rewatched TFP yesterday, John is fighting back the tears when watching Mary's final video message.
Sherlock looks desperately sad, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 30, 2017 7:27 pm  #5025

I must watch again!  I have to admit I cried at Mary's death scene.  I think she became a very sympathetic character in S4. 

May 30, 2017 8:41 pm  #5026

Interesting how different people react to this scene. I must admit I had to stifle a laugh because the scene seems so over the top to me. Plus John's strange sounds of grieving. It does not work for me, especially if you compare this to John's reaction at the fall and at Sherlock's grave or Sherlock's note - this is what makes me cry. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 30, 2017 8:46 pm  #5027

I wonder how much that is to do with how warm you feel towards Mary before she dies?  ("You" plural, not you personally, Susi.  It really irritates me how English doesn't have a plural "you", except colloquially!).   I wasn't a big fan, but she seemed so fragile and earnest in TST, that I kind of fell for her, so was upset when she died.  (The actual scene of jumping in front of the bullet was a bit silly, but after that felt really emotional).  I fell for her even more in TLD.  

May 30, 2017 8:55 pm  #5028

Well, partly this may have to do with how I felt about Mary before. But my gut reaction to this scene was - not really, come on, guys. This is cheesy. Maybe it was the impossible jump or Martin's reaction or that Mary suddenly seemed so changed to me or a combination of all this. But I did not feel any of the desperation and sadness from TRF. To me it felt - like so many things in S4 - overly dramatic and artificial. Whereas in TRF the grief was raw and new and very convincing to me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 30, 2017 8:57 pm  #5029

It's something I will never understand...how people cannot be moved by John's grief in TST.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 30, 2017 8:59 pm  #5030

I do think the suicide aspect made TRF much more difficult.   Dying a heroic death is tragic, but not as poignant.   But I suppose I also watched TRF knowing that Sherlock was faking his death (and we see him at the end), whereas in TST, it looked Mary was genuinely dying. 

May 30, 2017 9:03 pm  #5031

besleybean wrote:

It's something I will never understand...how people cannot be moved by John's grief in TST.

Because it sounds like something else entirely?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naXEF8gr7EU

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 30, 2017 9:04 pm  #5032

This is true. But I think for me it is the subtlety of the filming and acting that does it. Where TRF is like a delicate drawing, TST is using broad strokes of the brush. And to John Sherlock had died, so no difference there. But it may be a matter of taste. It just does not work for me which does not mean that it cannot work for other people. 

May 30, 2017 9:38 pm  #5033

I always wanted Mary to die, in whatever way, to leave the show. And was therefore surprised myself that the death scene made me cry. Amanda impressed me with her acting, and she got to me way more than I thought she would.

But that could also be because of where I come from. I have experienced the death of someone very close to me, and so if I feel something - anything at all - for the characters involved, any death scene will always get to me. It will bring up something from my own memories (which is why Alone by the Water absolutely crushed me, and it's the only fanfic I regret reading).

As for Mary, I do think she has done worse things than what we are being shown and told. Remember Magnussen talked about her going freelance - what did she do then? There are certainly things she's done that we haven't been told. And I don't think Mary ever thought she would lose John's love if she told him she was part of a team to rescue a team of hostages.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 30, 2017 9:42 pm  #5034

Freelance was her AGRA work, I presume.

May 30, 2017 9:58 pm  #5035

Vhanja wrote:

As for Mary, I do think she has done worse things than what we are being shown and told. Remember Magnussen talked about her going freelance - what did she do then? There are certainly things she's done that we haven't been told. And I don't think Mary ever thought she would lose John's love if she told him she was part of a team to rescue a team of hostages.

I fully agree with you here!

And Susi, I am also moved so much more by Sherlock's death than by Mary's. Martin's acting has been so subtle in TRF and so ... not subtle in TST.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 31, 2017 5:48 am  #5036

But in terms of the character's life...John is still suffering, which makes it so much more palatable.
Sherlock clearly misses Mary, too.

May 31, 2017 5:55 am  #5037

besleybean wrote:

But in terms of the character's life...John is still suffering, which makes it so much more palatable.
Sherlock clearly misses Mary, too.

When does he say so? Or which scene shows that?

He surely blames himself and missed John on the other hand.

May 31, 2017 6:08 am  #5038

I referred to it when I wrote about my recent re-watch of TFP, for instance.  John filling up on watching Mary's video message and Sherlock fighting back the tears.
They love and miss her.
Very human,both of them.

May 31, 2017 6:17 am  #5039

Personally, I don't feel I need John to have the same reaction to Mary's death as Sherlock's "death".   Two very different situations, two different relationships, etc.   There isn't just one way for grief to be expressed.  And John's reactions continue to be different: after Sherlock's death he's devastated, but calm enough to give that moving little speech at Sherlock's grave.  After Mary's death he completely loses the plot, becomes angry and violent, rejects the people closest to him (Sherlock and Rosie) while clinging to Mary's "ghost" and is generally heading to destruction (hence Mary telling Sherlock he needs to save him).    It's a different and more extreme reaction all round, and the more extreme, animal grief at the point of Mary's death fits with that. 

May 31, 2017 6:19 am  #5040

Which one would expect for losing his wife and in such circumstances.
I personally thought Martin acted it very well, must have been such a difficult scene to do..

Board footera