BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 10:59 am  #4741

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I don't think Mycroft could see Sherlock was in danger with regard to this case...Mary was the initial target.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2017 11:00 am  #4742

I am talking about three years ago, not now. Letting Mary into their life at all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2017 11:03 am  #4743

Well again, why would Mycroft think Sherlock was a target because of Mary?
He'd always been Moriarty's target, anyway!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2017 11:26 am  #4744

Probably both Mary and Mycroft thought AGA were dead.  Mary apparently doesn't think John and Rosie are at risk.  As soon as she does think they might be at risk, she disappears.   If Mary didn't think there was a big risk for them, maybe Mycroft didn't think it about Sherlock.

Mycroft does try to warn Sherlock, when they speak on the phone at the wedding.   He mentions Redbeard. (And Sherlock sees Redbeard when Mary drugs him).  But I think he's actually warning him about loss and heartbreak.  He knows Mary is likely to be killed at some point. 

In the end, Sherlock is at risk to start with because of pursuing the Thatcher case (regardless of Mary) and staking out the criminal on his own.  He's a bit at risk because of insisting on protecting Mary.  At the end he's at risk partly because of the way he staged the confrontation. 

I wonder if Mycroft actually thought Mary would help protect him?  Which she does in the end.

Last edited by Liberty (January 2, 2017 11:30 am)

January 2, 2017 11:29 am  #4745

This seems plausible.

Another thing, though. Mary saying "Sherlock, the dragon slayer." The expression has been used twice, by Moriarty and Mycroft, when they were alone with Sherlock. Just a coincidence?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2017 11:31 am  #4746

No, reflects the fact that Mary worked for Mycroft...I would think.

January 2, 2017 11:33 am  #4747

I'm not sure ... it seems odd that even if they were all in it together (and I'm not completely to that idea), that they'd discuss calling him a dragon-slayer and use it at those particular points.  It could just be that Mary means that she knows he wants to see himself as a dragon-slayer - and he did slay her dragon.

January 2, 2017 12:03 pm  #4748

Something I find interesting: So John and Mary are having their big conversation about her past and telling lies, the "I used to" thing about liking Mary and so on. Something really private and personal between man and wife. And they are doing this in Sherlock's presence. Have they ever done anything meaningful (except maybe conceiving the child) without Sherlock being there as well? The aborted proposal, the domestic in HLV, the reconciliation with Sherlock next door, the birth of their child, talking about their marriage crisis, Mary dying … not a single meaningful moment for the two of them without Sherlock being there. Of course you can explain every single one of them but viewed in their entirety - seems almost like a menage á trois. 

January 2, 2017 12:09 pm  #4749

SusiGo wrote:

Something I find interesting: So John and Mary are having their big conversation about her past and telling lies, the "I used to" thing about liking Mary and so on. Something really private and personal between man and wife. And they are doing this in Sherlock's presence. Have they ever done anything meaningful (except maybe conceiving the child) without Sherlock being there as well? The aborted proposal, the domestic in HLV, the reconciliation with Sherlock next door, the birth of their child, talking about their marriage crisis, Mary dying … not a single meaningful moment for the two of them without Sherlock being there. Of course you can explain every single one of them but viewed in their entirety - seems almost like a menage á trois. 

I noticed this too. I was surprised that Sherlock was present when they had that conversation. It seemed to be more of a private couple moment, not something to be talked about with an audience.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2017 12:27 pm  #4750

True, but I think it's still the Sherlock show, and I kind of like him being there.  It was kind of relevant to him in the sense that he has tried to keep them together, tried to save them, is godfather for the baby, etc.  I also think it's set up so that we don't know Sherlock is listening initially, but also so that he makes that declaration of protection again just as John and Mary reconcile - it's Sherlock who persuades Mary to come home by promising he'll keep her safe.  I think that's why John is angry with him at the end.  (Not that I think John is justified - he's not). 

January 2, 2017 12:34 pm  #4751

I think Sherlock always being there is to do with the show being called Sherlock, but also, he is supposed to be looking out for both John and Mary.
I really don't think either Sherlock or John would have wanted to share Mary and they don't seem interested in each other that way.

January 20, 2017 8:24 am  #4752

Sad but true IMO:

"You can pinpoint the exact moment this show went wrong, and it’s when they decided to treat a person who murders for fun and money as a saint and the person who has repeatedly sacrificed themselves for his loved ones as someone flawed and wrong who needs to be fixed." (seducemymindyouidiot on tumblr)

And I would add:

Turning this person into a martyr and into another person's conscience and making her the patron saint of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, something they have not needed in 130 years. And do not need now. I had hoped with all my heart that they would take a different direction with Mary in S4 but this was terrible and unnecessary.
She is in more episodes than Sherlock and John alone (leaving out the pilot and MHR). The whole cinema special material was about Mary and they gave her the last word as well. I can forgive them a lot but this does really hurt. 

January 20, 2017 8:46 am  #4753

SusiGo wrote:

Sad but true IMO:

"You can pinpoint the exact moment this show went wrong, and it’s when they decided to treat a person who murders for fun and money as a saint and the person who has repeatedly sacrificed themselves for his loved ones as someone flawed and wrong who needs to be fixed." (seducemymindyouidiot on tumblr)

And I would add:

Turning this person into a martyr and into another person's conscience and making her the patron saint of Sherlock Holmes and John Watson, something they have not needed in 130 years. And do not need now. I had hoped with all my heart that they would take a different direction with Mary in S4 but this was terrible and unnecessary.
She is in more episodes than Sherlock and John alone (leaving out the pilot and MHR). The whole cinema special material was about Mary and they gave her the last word as well. I can forgive them a lot but this does really hurt. 

Oh wow yes this. I just wrote something similar.
They really broke the golden rule , they turned Holmes and Watson into a gang show. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 9:15 am  #4754

Mothonthemantel wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Sad but true IMO:

And I would add:

Oh wow yes this. I just wrote something similar.
They really broke the golden rule , they turned Holmes and Watson into a gang show. 

I fully agree. The best part of it is that Mary should finally be history now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 3:38 pm  #4755

So, I have not read all of the posts on this thread as they are numerous, and, I gather that most do not really like Mary so my opinion will be in the minority here, but I would like to post some thoughts anyway in defense of her character.
      I liked Mary.  I enjoyed her interactions with John and Sherlock.  I don't see her as a black and white character.  In fact, all three of them (John, Mary, Sherlock) are adrenaline junkies and all three have character flaws which is part of why I enjoy watching and analyzing them.  
       I'm not sure why having a likeable personality and having a dark past are mutually exclusive.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Mary was an assassin for hire of sorts.  Nothing I saw suggests that she enjoyed killing people. I think she was good at killing people, I think it was her job, but I don't know that she necessarily enjoyed it. 
     I would compare her to some degree to TV's Dexter Morgan.  Dexter was a very likeable character.  I certainly enjoyed him and rooted for him and that was obviously the premise of the show, to make us root for someone who does something so abhorrent as kill people for sport.  True, they were killers themselves, but he did it because he enjoyed it, because he felt some urge to do so and, because he was good at it.  Dexter also wanted a normal life like Mary, married Rita and had a child with her.  He initially did it out of self-preservation, to keep a normal fascade to hide his true nature, but I think he did truly develop feelings for her and a sense of regret when Rita was killed. 
Similarly, I think many of Mary's motives are self-preserving but I think it comes from the fact that she really does love John and sees a glimpse of what her life could be with him and does not want to risk that.  She was also never the nagging shrew, she never prevented John from continuing his friendship with Sherlock when she well could have for many reasons.  Instead, she said she liked Sherlock and I think she knew how special their friendship was and aimed to keep him as part of their lives rather than driving him away.  She could have easily been very angry and unforgiving of all the hurt he caused John when Sherlock returns after two years, but she isn't.  Yes, she threatens Sherlock not to tell John but only because she doesn't want to lose the life she is trying to build, and not, in my opinion out of any real threat or vindictive response.
One could argue that many of Sherlock's motives are self-serving as well.  At least in the beginning, he really doesn't care about the victims in the cases he is solving.  He only wants to engage his brain and solve the puzzle.  This changes as the show progresses, and he has always been self-sacrificing, but seen through different eyes, he could be viewed as a callous jerk.  We as viewers forgive him a lot, because we love the character (and, I would argue, Benedict's amazing acting skills in bringing him to life because I don't think Sherlock Holmes is an easy character to play, especially with such nuance as we get in this performance), but he has a lot of undesirable qualities that we tend to sweep under the rug, because we are also shown all the good qualities as well.
I actually would have liked to have seen more of the three of them as a unit. I got the sense that Sherlock saw Mary as a kindred spirit, more similar to his less emotional personality than John and better at deductions.   If this was meant to bring Sherlock Holmes into the 20th Century, the working woman is a large part of that, and I think that could have worked, at least for a while.  But ultimately, I suppose the premise is two men, enjoying their adventures, who would do anything and sacrifice anything out of love for one another (platonic or romantic, whatever your view) and Mary doesn't fit into that story.
Still, I thought her an interesting if flawed character and I genuinely liked the comic relief she brought.  I don't think she is a villain at all, but rather a woman forced to make some very tough choices and to then dare to dream of and try to attain a normal and happy life. 

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 20, 2017 4:20 pm  #4756

I agree with NoShipSherlock.  Besides, it's canon that Mary died, and so the modern Mary Watson had to die as well.  (It's also canon that Dr. Watson does not raise a child as a single father, and therefore, if there is a fifth season, something will have to be done with Rosie.)

January 20, 2017 4:20 pm  #4757

I see your point but the problem is that this is not what SH is about. It never was. You can write a show about three people who are friends and go on all kinds of adventures but why did they have to do it in a show about Sherlock Holmes? The writers have called it the "Sherlock and John show" and everybody loved that concept and they threw it away for a threesome only few people liked. And even most of those who liked her expected her to be gone at the beginning of S4 at the latest. But she did have to come back from the dead for a whole episode, the bonus material in cinemas was all about her, and they gave her the voice-over at the end. 

Why would we need Mary's blessing for Sherlock and John living together again? Or solving crimes? They have done that for 130 years. 

P.S. I am fine with her dying but it could have happened sooner and without turning her into a martyr. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 20, 2017 4:21 pm)

January 20, 2017 4:43 pm  #4758

They just failed to write a likable or relatable character for the audience. I had to watch T6T in the pub, many people laughed and pointed out the terrible corny scene and death soliloquy. In short few people cared about Mary at all outside the very loyal fandom and were glad she was gone.
Then we suffered all those darn after death tapes and her ghost for a whole episode.
Way too much time wasted on her.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 4:44 pm  #4759

Exactly. And they even gave her/Amanda the whole 15 minute cinema special. 

January 20, 2017 4:53 pm  #4760

Board footera