BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2016 1:22 pm  #3461

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Thank you for your explanation, Vhanja and Liberty. I understand exactly what you mean - and yet it´s because of these very reason you just stated that I see John as uncaring in those HLV scenes.

Yes, we are on the ground of TV reality. But even the TV reality shouldn´t be so much removed from RL as to be completely unbelievable. And in this case, it is quite unbelievable, IMHO. In RL Sherlock wouldn´t probably be allowed to be in the same room as Mary, for his own protection - and any sane person would see why. Yet John, after deducing that it was Mary who shot Sherlock and after personally witnessing how she threatens him again, not only allows them to be near each other, but threatens Sherlock with more violence shortly after. I could believe that Sherlock has kind of Stockholm syndrome that prevents him from hating Mary - but why should John endorse that? He is not afflicted in the same way. And if he does it because he sees it as the issue between Mary and Sherlock, or because he doesn´t seem to be blaming people for things that don´t affect him, why should I interpret this behaviour as caring towards Sherlock?

Also, John did blame people for many things that didn´t personally affect him in the past (he reproached Sherlock in ASIP that he doesn´t care for a dead Jennifer Wilson, he reproached him similarily in TGG, he punched the chief-inspector in TRF etc.)... why should I believe he suddenly cares only for things that directly affect him (he only behaves like that in HLV)?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2016 1:27 pm  #3462

Well ultimately time will tell.
But I felt John was being genuine in the reconciliation scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2016 1:54 pm  #3463

Vhanja wrote:

Of course there is the chance that neither Sherlock nor John have forgiven Mary anything and that they are working together behind the scenes against her. However, I would be a tad disappointed if that happens, simply becuase there is no setup for it in HLV. We don't get any hint that this is the case, and so it would be a reveal out of nowhere.

I disagree that it would come completely out of nowhere.  I think the huge gap between the domestic and Christmas gives us plenty of reason to entertain doubt.   If it turns out that Sherlock and John, and possibly Mycroft have been plotting behind the scenes against Mary the creators can point to that gap and say, now you know why we couldn't show you anything that happened during that time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 2, 2016 2:02 pm  #3464

Of course.
I am interested to see if she actually is working for Mycroft.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2016 2:11 pm  #3465

I will be deeply disappointed if it turns out she's working for Mycroft.  I cannot imagine Mycroft letting anyone get away with shooting Sherlock.  Although I do think there is much going on with Mycroft that we do not yet know.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 2, 2016 2:15 pm  #3466

I just thought it was interesting how it was said on the commentary: It's the logical conclusion Sherlock comes to , in his mind, of course she's working for Mycroft...
But then he thought it was Lady Smallwood in CAM's office!

May 2, 2016 2:15 pm  #3467

Yes, I understand. It would be difficult to swallow and quite against the logic of the show so far. The interesting thing is that much of it depends on the question whether the first plane scene was real or MP. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2016 2:19 pm  #3468

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, I understand. It would be difficult to swallow and quite against the logic of the show so far. The interesting thing is that much of it depends on the question whether the first plane scene was real or MP. 

My own opinion is that the only real scene in TAB is the last one on the tarmac.  However, I am willing to adjust my thinking if given more information.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 2, 2016 2:19 pm  #3469

Even then, it's only explicitly shown in TAB...which could mean nothing at all!
Sorry, I mean the Victorian Mind Palace!

Last edited by besleybean (May 2, 2016 2:20 pm)

May 2, 2016 2:48 pm  #3470

nakahara wrote:

Thank you for your explanation, Vhanja and Liberty. I understand exactly what you mean - and yet it´s because of these very reason you just stated that I see John as uncaring in those HLV scenes.

If John is uncaring, how do you explain the scenes I wrote about a few posts up?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 2:50 pm  #3471

tonnaree wrote:

I disagree that it would come completely out of nowhere.  I think the huge gap between the domestic and Christmas gives us plenty of reason to entertain doubt.   If it turns out that Sherlock and John, and possibly Mycroft have been plotting behind the scenes against Mary the creators can point to that gap and say, now you know why we couldn't show you anything that happened during that time.

I don't find a time gap enough of a hint, as you can more or less put anything in there. With Mary being an assassin they deliberately put very small, but very concrete, hints in the episodes that you could pick out later. I don't find a time gap to be that kind of a hint.

As for TAB, I personally believe the first scene of the plane was real, but - as tonnaree - I am open to it being different if the show tells me so later on.

Last edited by Vhanja (May 2, 2016 2:52 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 3:08 pm  #3472

Nothing is confirmed in TAB about Mary and Mycroft, of course, but I think that regardless of which scenes are real and which are MP, we know that Sherlock imagines her in that role.   Of course, it could be simply a hint that Mary was working for Britain at some point, and Sherlock just extrapolates to Mycroft specifically. 

"That wife", I know I keep saying this, but it comes into Sherlock's head before he knows the truth about Mary.   All he knows is that she has shot him, something he didn't expect the person he thought he knew would do, and that John is going to walk into the room with her standing over his body.  Later, he has information that leads him to believe Mary didn't intend to kill him, and lets him work out why she acted as she did, and he concludes that she's not a threat to John.  At one point, Sherlock even puts himself in a frame with Mary (when they're in the abbey, if you know the scene I mean - I don't have a picture). 

Vhanja, I think I've been a bit resistant to the idea of Sherlock and Mary having that bond, but I do think it helps to explain a lot.  It's more than just liking her because she's John's wife, I think. 

Nakahara, I think it's more gut feeling for John - I think those things affect him and he responds to those things according to his feelings at the time.   As I say, he might have acted quite differently if he'd actually come across Mary pointing the gun at Sherlock, or seen her standing over his bleeding body.   But by the time Sherlock exposes her, he's not actually worrying about Sherlock, and is more angry at the deception. 

May 2, 2016 3:21 pm  #3473

This is all very logical, Liberty, and well explained. But I somehow feel that this does not make for real big drama, does it? They usually go for the big feelings and this is just so … well … ordinary (quoting Anderson). 

As for Sherlock putting himself in the frame with Mary - this is indeed interesting. I always interpreted the scene as John being the object of desire of two people. Which is paralleled by John's remark about neglecting each other which both Mary and Sherlock seem to apply to themselves. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 2, 2016 3:25 pm  #3474

Well Susi on the latter point, I would say affectionate relationship...
But anyway:
I see the drama is going to be in Mary's demise...I still tend to feel they can't top the revelation we've already had.
Though I do think she could work for Mycroft and I do think she could have been planted with John.

May 2, 2016 3:27 pm  #3475

They can go for big drama in many different ways and directions. What if, for instance, Mary really was trying to lead a normal life, John and her was starting to rebuild their relationship into something that actually worked, they shared their joy over their little daughter - and then someone from Mary's past (Moran? On CAM's or Moriarty's orders?) killed Mary? And maybe even the daughter? Or was going to kill Sherlock or John, and Mary sacrificed herself for them? 

That could be one way to go for the big feelings.

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 3:28 pm  #3476

That is exactly how I see it will play out.

May 2, 2016 3:33 pm  #3477

It would certainly fit Moffat that whenever Sherlock or John starts to obtain something that can be described as a happy, stable equilibrium, something horrible happens. So if S4 starts with diapers, pink dresses and fluffy babystuff, I am convinced that is only there as a set-up for the drama and angst that will come. 

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 3:34 pm  #3478

Me, too.

May 2, 2016 4:44 pm  #3479

I don't see Mary working for Mycroft , what would be the purpose of it ?
I don't see Johns safety being an issue for Mycroft , would that mean Mary married John on Mycrofts orders . I think if Mary was Mycrofts agent she was rather wasting her time on John  . Additionally that would make the secret agent/ assasin in the past a lie and still her job.
Sorry I just hit a confused dead end with Mary working for Mycroft.
I think Sherlock links them in his mp because he sees Mycroft as his archenemy  ( the devil ) .

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

May 2, 2016 4:48 pm  #3480

Does Sherlock really see Mycroft that way, though? But this wouldn't mean he and Mary couldn't work together.
No I don't for a moment think Mary married John on order, I think she fell in love with him incidentally.
I think she was planted on John to look after him, while Sherlock was away.

Board footera