BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2016 10:06 pm  #3441

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

She's given up her past.
If Moriarty did the same, I would forgive him too.

We've also not had any concrete proof of this.
And stopping wrong behavior is not the equal of redemption.  There must be positive action to make up for past sins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 1, 2016 10:08 pm  #3442

What exactly is she supposed to do?
She loves John and is hopefully going to be a good mother to his child.

Last edited by besleybean (May 1, 2016 10:08 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 1, 2016 10:32 pm  #3443

Mattlocked wrote:

I'm not sure if I would stand by hubby to the bitter end if I would notice today that he was a serial killer in the past....

@nakahara "If the damage was not done to him personally, by lying or otherwise, then lions can eat his friends for all he cares."  I don't like what I read, but maybe you are right.
Or.... sarcasm?

Unfortunately, as written in the show (so far) that's what we're being shown. Sigh.

May 2, 2016 2:16 am  #3444

nakahara wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

@nakahara "If the damage was not done to him personally, by lying or otherwise, then lions can eat his friends for all he cares." I don't like what I read, but maybe you are right.
Or.... sarcasm?

No, merely an agreement with Liberty and Lola, that HLV John doesn´t see to be concerned about Mary shooting Sherlock at all. He is disturbed he is being lied to, yes, but doesn´t care Sherlock was shot, nearly died and is in horrible pain after both injury and surgery that followed.... His "you won´t need morphine" speech was a good indicator of that.

This made it really hard for me to take his "concern about Sherlock doing drugs" in TAB seriously....

Actually, you're making me think about something else-- when Sherlock first returns, John is more angry at being duped-- made to feel like a fool, than any other reason. He never actually tries to figure out why Sherlock would have faked his death, even knowing how Moriarty was ruining Sherlock's life.

As for Mary, maybe John thought Sherlock sort have deserved to be shot--for the fall?

May 2, 2016 7:08 am  #3445

I don't think the latter at all.
I think John was genuinely distraught at Mary shooting John.
But he seems to have managed to get over it and move on quicker than possibly some others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 2, 2016 9:17 am  #3446

Again I'm reading posts that makes me wonder if we are watching the same show. To me it's so obvious that of COURSE John cares about Sherlock being shot that I fail to understand how anyone could see that he cares "shit all" about it. 

Did he seem not to care when he found Sherlock? When he called the ambulance? When he joined the ambulance, worried that they were losing him? When he spent the entire night at hopsital and ran up to Mary in pure belief that he made it through? When he helped Sherlock collapsing on the floor and stated that Mary had indeed shot him?

How can you watch all those scenes and end up concluding that John cares absolutely nothing about Sherlock being shot?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 10:48 am  #3447

Yes, of course he cares deeply at the time.  But later, it's not what he's angry at Mary about, and not (I think) what he is forgiving when he later forgives her. 

May 2, 2016 11:31 am  #3448

I agree. As you said, that seems to be more an issue between Mary and Sherlock. And Sherlock have (seemingly) forgiven her and tells John to trust her.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 12:01 pm  #3449

And yet in TRF, when chief inspector called Sherlock a vigilante type, John smashed his face althrough the issue was between Sherlock and the police exclusively - John was not mentioned at all by them, nor was he an insulted party.... the insult was in words only, Sherlock was not physically hurt by them...

...and suddenly, two episodes later, John considers the actual physical harm done to Sherlock as something that doesn´t concern him? The harm caused by his wife is something so insignificant, he leaves her to sort it out with Sherlock on her own? Victims of violence should be sent to people who beat them/raped them/injured them/murdered them so that they could reconcile on their own, according to John? Very interesting philosophy - but not the one I can relate to.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2016 12:04 pm  #3450

I think John was on the point of leaving Mary and I believe he only forgave her, because Sherlock did.

May 2, 2016 12:48 pm  #3451

nakahara wrote:

And yet in TRF, when chief inspector called Sherlock a vigilante type, John smashed his face althrough the issue was between Sherlock and the police exclusively - John was not mentioned at all by them, nor was he an insulted party.... the insult was in words only, Sherlock was not physically hurt by them...

...and suddenly, two episodes later, John considers the actual physical harm done to Sherlock as something that doesn´t concern him? The harm caused by his wife is something so insignificant, he leaves her to sort it out with Sherlock on her own? Victims of violence should be sent to people who beat them/raped them/injured them/murdered them so that they could reconcile on their own, according to John? Very interesting philosophy - but not the one I can relate to.

I think you jump to way to strong conclusions. There is nothing in the show that says that John thinks victims of violence should be sent to people who abused them to reconcile on their own? How on earth do you manage to interpret something like that? I don't get it at all. 

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 12:50 pm  #3452

I don't think forgiveness came into the end of HLV or was even mentioned . Especially with Sherlock, it doesn't seem like a sentiment he considered at all . With John he decided to try and move on and not be angry about it all the time.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

May 2, 2016 12:53 pm  #3453

Yeah, in this instance I think Sherlock's ability to - more or less - turn of sentiment in some cases actually helped him. When he found a rational explanation for Mary's behaviour, he accepted it. Just like being tricked, drugged and beaten by Irene only managed to intrigue him. And he thought John was overreacting and didn't understand how John wasn't happy to see him after two years.

I don't think Sherlock works like we - and John - do on these things. 

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 12:57 pm  #3454

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

I think you jump to way to strong conclusions. There is nothing in the show that says that John thinks victims of violence should be sent to people who abused them to reconcile on their own? How on earth do you manage to interpret something like that? I don't get it at all. 

How do you interpret the statement "that seems more to be an issue between Mary and Sherlock" then?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 2, 2016 1:02 pm  #3455

Because if Sherlock has forgiven her - to the point that he actively encourage John to reconcile with her - then why shouldn't John? Sherlock is the one who has the biggest reason to be angry at Mary for the shooting, yet he isn't. 

Of course there is the chance that neither Sherlock nor John have forgiven Mary anything and that they are working together behind the scenes against her. However, I would be a tad disappointed if that happens, simply becuase there is no setup for it in HLV. We don't get any hint that this is the case, and so it would be a reveal out of nowhere.

Yes, in real life, I think that the chance of the person who gets shot, and the best friend of said person, easily forgiving the girlfriend for the shooting would be like nil. As it should be. But this is again for me an example of tv reality, which is different from the real reality. (Just as Sherlock's physical and mental aftermath of the torture in Serbia - and Lord only knows what else - was brushed away within minutes and never heard from again).

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 1:05 pm  #3456

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah, in this instance I think Sherlock's ability to - more or less - turn of sentiment in some cases actually helped him. When he found a rational explanation for Mary's behaviour, he accepted it. Just like being tricked, drugged and beaten by Irene only managed to intrigue him. And he thought John was overreacting and didn't understand how John wasn't happy to see him after two years.

I don't think Sherlock works like we - and John - do on these things. 

Irene's motives were self-defence/self-preservation which I think he finds perfectly understable - and I suppose that in both cases the women were trying to prevent him doing something that would probably lead to their secrets being revealed and to their deaths, so I suppose it's quite a good parallel (even if Irene's violence was very minimal compared to Mary's!).  Yes, I think he has the detachment to see why they chose those courses of actions and not take it personally.  John on the other hand, takes things very personally, I think - he's seeing things in terms of how he is affected.  The flipside of that is that he doesn't seem to be blaming people for things that don't affect him. (Who knows how he'd have reacted if he'd actually walked in on Mary attacking Sherlock?  I think he might have been more protective of him then.   But by the time Mary is exposed, John is through the fear of losing Sherlock, and is not so affected by it).

I'm leaning more recently towards Sherlock feeling quite a strong connection to Mary, though ... the more I think of it, the more things make sense if you imagine him really, really caring for her (and not in that way! I would not like them to go down that route!). 

Last edited by Liberty (May 2, 2016 1:08 pm)

May 2, 2016 1:08 pm  #3457

Yes . I think Sherlock tried to act in the way he thought was best for everyone logically and turn off the hurt and betrayal he felt , but it won't necessarily work because John is even more sentimental.  Thats likely why John took so long to try and deal with Mary .
I think John's  ( and Sherlocks ) going to be snarky and angry with Mary which will just make Mary more defensive and unapologetic , probably be quite funny to watch until Marys departue 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

May 2, 2016 1:09 pm  #3458

I agree and the team have spoken about this...wanting to explore the fact that Sherlock and Mary genuinely get on.

May 2, 2016 1:11 pm  #3459

Liberty wrote:

Irene's motives were self-defence/self-preservation which I think he finds perfectly understable - and I suppose that in both cases the women were trying to prevent him doing something that would probably lead to their secrets being revealed and to their deaths, so I suppose it's quite a good parallel (even if Irene's violence was very minimal compared to Mary's!).  Yes, I think he has the detachment to see why they chose those courses of actions and not take it personally.  John on the other hand, takes things very personally, I think - he's seeing things in terms of how he is affected.  The flipside of that is that he doesn't seem to be blaming people for things that don't affect him.

I'm leaning more recently towards Sherlock feeling quite a strong connection to Mary, though ... the more I think of it, the more things make sense if you imagine him really, really caring for her (and not in that way! I would not like them to go down that route!). 

Yes, I agree with your views on Sherlock and John here. Sherlock is able to detach himself and not take it personally - and thus doens't quite understand it when other people DO take it personally and are unable to detach themselves and see the logic behind the action (John).

Also, I agree with you that I think Sherlock really likes Mary. Because they are quite similar - intelligent, cold (when need to be) calculating, arrogant, logical. And they both care deeply for John.

Or so I read what I've seen on screen so far. Things might change - perhaps there is that hidden agenda from Sherlock and John towards Mary. Or perhaps Mary has been lying all along, works for Moriarty and doesn't feel a thing for John. But I will leave that for future seasons.

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2016 1:22 pm  #3460

Hard to tell if Sherlock likes anyone ( excluding John ) but TAB seemed to indicate he thought Mary had a very low opinion of him and he of her. Plus " that wife!" seemed telling.
I think he just finds the puzzle of Mary interesting and once she is gone we will get witticisms about her  she wasnt a very good.. or very nice .. or well your last wife shot me... etc .
Thats the way MG and SM write.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (May 2, 2016 1:22 pm)

Board footera