BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2016 6:19 pm  #3381

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

She will stop at nothing to keep him.

I agree. How do you feel about this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 30, 2016 6:24 pm  #3382

Schmiezi wrote:

besleybean wrote:

She will stop at nothing to keep him.

I agree. How do you feel about this?

Funny. I know your question wasn't directed at me, but when I read that sentence I immediately thought 'Yep. And that's what I call unhealthy'.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 30, 2016 6:24 pm  #3383

Well I don't think either John or Sherlock are in any danger from her.
She may even end up sacrificing herself for John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 30, 2016 6:30 pm  #3384

besleybean wrote:

Well I don't think either John or Sherlock are in any danger from her.
She may even end up sacrificing herself for John.

But how Do you FEEL about it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 30, 2016 6:34 pm  #3385

Currently my main feelings are directed to having empathy with John.
With Mary, so far I just accept whatever we are shown of her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 30, 2016 6:56 pm  #3386

Without having feelings about it?

I personally agree with Solar here. Her kind of love does not seems healthy to me. And her motives strike me as xvery egoistic - a character trait I cannot stand, neither in real live nor on screen.

April 30, 2016 6:59 pm  #3387

Well, you maybe won't have to watch her much longer.

April 30, 2016 7:47 pm  #3388

We won't have to if, as many of us surmise, she's killed off (and the baby with her) as she was in canon.

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 30, 2016 7:47 pm)

April 30, 2016 8:59 pm  #3389

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 30, 2016 9:41 pm  #3390

Good one Nakahara.   
The powers that be can give us this surface appearance of forgiveness, but if they want the audience to forgive her and accept her as redeemed, they have got to give us a substantial explanation of her actions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 30, 2016 9:42 pm  #3391

But some of the audience are perfectly happy with how they have presented things.

April 30, 2016 9:49 pm  #3392

tonnaree wrote:

Good one Nakahara.   
The powers that be can give us this surface appearance of forgiveness, but if they want the audience to forgive her and accept her as redeemed, they have got to give us a substantial explanation of her actions.

Agreed. The thing is, I could even accept the fact that John (apparently) has forgiven her - if I could understand his reasons. But not only does Mary not tell us anything about her past to make us understand why she did what she did - it's the same with John. We jump from furious John in 221B to forgiving John in that absurd Christmas scene. How can any writer in his right mind expect an audience to just swallow this?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 30, 2016 9:50 pm  #3393

@ Solar  "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Last edited by Harriet (April 30, 2016 9:54 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 30, 2016 9:50 pm  #3394

I refer the member to my previous post.

April 30, 2016 9:52 pm  #3395

tonnaree wrote:

Good one Nakahara.   

Agreed. And I doubt that it would have needed too much screen time. But they didn't. On purpose.

April 30, 2016 9:54 pm  #3396

We assume.

April 30, 2016 10:05 pm  #3397

Who is 'we'?

April 30, 2016 10:06 pm  #3398

besleybean wrote:

We assume.

I trust in their  talent. Leaving out those information is ignoring  all you've learnt in Writing 101. They are no amateurs, hence my belief they did it on purpose.

April 30, 2016 10:07 pm  #3399

The same ' we' that tonnaree was implicating! 'The audience'.

April 30, 2016 10:11 pm  #3400

besleybean wrote:

We assume.

Do you?

Board footera