BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2014 6:00 am  #101

Re: Benedict's Engagement

KeepersPrice wrote:

Let me chime in here too.  I said to Harriet yesterday that it doesn't make any kind of realistic sense for any of us to be sad or depressed that Ben is now "off the market".  None of us had any kind of shot with him, obviously; but I guess there is a certain amount of fantasy and a feeling that somehow we'd like him to belong exclusively to "us" and not to someone else.  Again, it makes no sense, and even though we are expressing happiness for him, I think deep down, in the very secret places of the heart, there is sadness for some of us that he is now with someone else and no longer "available".

Something else - I was reading somewhere on line where fans were discussing how poorly his ex-girlfriend, Olivia Poulet, had treated his fans and that they felt Sophie Hunter would be much kinder, and in no way shape or form mean to the fans.  I don't remember hearing anything about Olivia treating fans badly but this could have been a bit before my time following Ben/Sherlock stuff on line.  Does anyone know this story?

Very true.  (and also very late to the 'party'!!)  It's the wishing you could be with someone like him, even if, as Sherloh just said, you know you might not be able to keep up with him (or like the lifestyle).  And maybe the 'perceived' availability they're also worried over?  He's already so busy, it's just life that he might not doing as many events where those fans could meet, or projects to see him in, with balancing family/wife time.  Just thoughtful speculation, of course.  And never heard anything of Olivia either (but also didn't follow them much at the time)… no idea what that's about?  Always great to have a partner that has your back, yet doesn't feel the need to fend fans off with a stick or snark about them.  She seems lovely… so happy for both of them!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 7, 2014 7:10 am  #102

I do know the Olivia story.
But that's past histiory and water under the bridge.
I continue to follow her on Twitter and am interested in her career.
I am certain Benedict has made the right choice.
I know little of Sophie, but then I don't really need to know anything.
Except IS she Scottish?  I will be so pleased if she is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 7, 2014 8:23 am  #103

She's definitely a smart cookie, maybe even more than Ben.

I like the summary of "Entertainment weekly" to the engagement:

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/11/05/benedict-cumberbatch-to-be-married/

And her wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Hunter

They know each other before they fall in love that's a good thing I think. It's not that "falling in love at first sight" (in my view totally overrated, and it's usually lust not love at first sight isn't it?!)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

November 7, 2014 10:00 am  #104

Well, I fell in love with my boyfriend at first sight, and I'm not sure why one thing should be better than the other? It indeed is important that your partner also is your best friend, but that can be the case even if you fell in love with him at first sight. Why does everything have to be so black and white? 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 7, 2014 10:25 am  #105

Solar, sorry if I offended you. I just meant how can you fall in love by just seeing someone, you can be attracted to him/her. Maybe I should have said I believe in love at the first talk, for me love is a bit more than just looks and what do you know about someone when you just see him, love is such a big word I think. I had several moments where I find someone sexy or cute and the moment he opened his mouth or I get to know is attitude the excitement was over.
And I also had one boyfriend with whom I was friends for years before I fell in love with him.

If you fell in love at first sight then I'm happy for you, it's just not my experience. I didn't want to talk it down, it's just my opinion.

What I actually wanted to say is, that he already knew he without being in love with her. And therefore they might know each others negative traits and know with whom they get involved with. Maybe that's why the engagement is relatively fast, no surprises.

----------

November 7, 2014 10:41 am  #106

It's all fine and I see your point. 
Maybe it depends on the circumstances in which you see the other person for the first time (and yes, maybe 'love' really is too big a word, but believe me, in my case it came very, very close). I didn't just see him standing around somewhere, I saw him on stage and a bit later we talked at the bar and that was it. So it might have been a combination of seeing and talking, I admit it. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 7, 2014 11:16 am  #107

I had two relationships starting with love at first sight. Both were straw fires, quite quickly burned down.
(Both times at first on HIS side  )
Hubby and me needed more time as everything started with friendship. Changed slowly into love. Stayed like that until today. Which is great. But I still won't say that one way is better than the other. Butterflies and blackout at the beginning is a great feeling, too. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 7, 2014 12:04 pm  #108

Ivy wrote:

I like the summary of "Entertainment weekly" to the engagement:

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2014/11/05/benedict-cumberbatch-to-be-married/

Wow, Ivy, I like that, too! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 7, 2014 12:31 pm  #109

nakahara wrote:

Zatoichi wrote:

Turner, Hunter, who cares.. 

Imagine the initial surprise of this lady, through.
"What - I got engaged with Benedict Cumberbatch? When did it happen? Was I drunk last night or what?"

So funny!

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

November 7, 2014 12:49 pm  #110

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree, it's all fine. I'll admit that I was a bit gobsmacked there for a moment, although I didn't feel sad or anything. It was more like 'Oh, really? Is that going to change anything now?'. It probably won't, he'll still do his work, we'll still get interviews and movies and "Sherlock" and basically everything we got from him until now. And we still can have our little fantasies.

Exactly, I agree with you 100%. Just because Benedict is getting married doesn't mean we can't still enjoy Sherlock and his other performances and interviews. Don't worry ladies, we can still all our harmless little fantasies about BC! 

November 7, 2014 4:31 pm  #111

I do think that there is such a thing as love at first sight but also that love is a many splendored thing. I think it is not actually one 'thing'. There are so many types of love and even within 'romantic love' there is a spectrum of feelings. Anyhow, on the other point. To believe friendship is an excellent way to start a relationship. At the end of the day we want to be able to like the person we are with. Liking is, in my humble opinion, very underestimated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 7, 2014 4:32 pm  #112

They look good together

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

November 7, 2014 7:40 pm  #113

Gorgeous!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 7, 2014 7:57 pm  #114

The first picture.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 7, 2014 9:03 pm  #115

They make such a lovely couple. Reading about the engagement made me all sentimental - I'm so happy for him!

“Four serial suicides and now a note! It’s Christmas!” -Sherlock

November 7, 2014 11:22 pm  #116

Here are they both in Burlesque Fairytales from 2009

It's funny, if someone had told them 5 years ago that they are going to marry....

Last edited by Ivy (November 7, 2014 11:27 pm)

----------

November 8, 2014 8:29 am  #117

That's one piece of Benedict's work I haven't seen and maybe I should now.
They obviously enjoyed working together, maybe became friends and possibly there was even a mutual attraction there.
The official line is that they were both seeing other people at the time.
Now I don't know when Sophie's relationship broke up...
But Benedict didn't exactly rush to her as soon as he was single...
Until I hear the official account:
I assume they did literally bump back into each over last Xmas/New Year...

Last edited by besleybean (November 8, 2014 8:30 am)

November 8, 2014 12:03 pm  #118

Neferu wrote:

They look good together

They make a lovely couple.

November 8, 2014 12:04 pm  #119

They are lovely. I just wish for a couple of pictures now where Sophie looks a bit more happy and smiles.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 8, 2014 12:39 pm  #120

Ivy wrote:

Here are they both in Burlesque Fairytales from 2009

It's funny, if someone had told them 5 years ago that they are going to marry....

Yeah 

I think one story is that one of the american producers put him in touch with her again. Another story is that they've been close friends for years and just recently fell in love.
Since they've decided to marry, without even living together, as far as we know, at least not for any lenght of time, I'd presume they have been good friends for quite some time.

Ben is in LA, for BAFTA.
Live tweets here and a short video. Longer video coming up.

http://www.reddit.com/live/tvemwymqj9u7

I've been trying to find Burlesque fairytales but it's not that easy to find. It's one of the few films Ben is in that I haven't seen. But I think there are some clips on youtube.

Ben looks so young.

Board footera