BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 27, 2014 8:45 pm  #21

Re: Benedict on the cover of Elle in Dec.

OMG now this made my Monday!!

That one word interview thing. I LOVE his responses!

But ehm... don't you think John wants his sweater back?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 28, 2014 8:13 pm  #22

Oh my gosh, I am so utterly melted, thank you… 
Amusing, adorable, very 'Ben', …always love those word games for a glimpse of mind.  Could someone help me out with what he says for fashion, hollywood, and girls, though?  I thought I heard 'different' or 'nice' for the latter?  And internet…  'palette' I think?  As in, such a variety of things?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 28, 2014 8:18 pm  #23

'fashion' he just repeats the word in a poncey fahionista way.
Hollywood...oh yeah he says a whole load of things..
Girls he says ' they're nice'.
Internet...god I forget now...scary?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2014 8:22 pm  #24

I thought I heard ...

fashion - passion
Hollywood - underrated, different, cliched, everything
girls - nice
internet - panic  ("Oh God! I mean, so much.  So much.  It's actually a panic.  Panic.  Panic")

Don't know if those are correct!

October 28, 2014 8:27 pm  #25

Yes, I think you are right...except I misheard the fasion one then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2014 8:34 pm  #26

Yes, thank you!  That's what it sounds like to me too.  I thought I heard the word 'different' and 'nice' in there, but was hard to catch the rest of the sentence.  And at first thought he meant 'palette' for the 'so much' variety of the Internet, but definitely 'panic'.  Appreciate it.  Still loving some of those… especially the ones that are a light-hearted rib at himself. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 29, 2014 7:37 pm  #27

I don't know if this interview should go here?  It's a good one, I thought.  I don't just mean the Sherlock and sex thing! 

Last edited by Liberty (October 29, 2014 9:38 pm)

October 29, 2014 7:39 pm  #28

Yes, I have that in context now.

October 29, 2014 10:04 pm  #29

It is better in context .  He comes across as quite playful, but also passionate (about his work) at times, as in this bit:

And then Hamlet, who Benedict will tackle on stage next summer. Another rather sexless man, I suggest. ‘My God, he’s got a depth of soul that, if he turned it on you, you’d be the happiest woman in the world,’ Benedict responds, shocked. I say I find Hamlet a navel-gazing, self-obsessed bore and he tears a strip off me. ‘Whose Hamlet have you seen?’ When I admit my opinion is based on just reading the text, he rants for 11 whole minutes. ‘Yeah, great,’ he snaps. ‘OK, so you’re projecting your interpretation of a character off the printed word. You have to see an interpretation beyond your own reading. You have to. You can’t say that you hate Hamlet. Hamlet doesn’t just exist in a book, he exists in performance!’

He later apologises on the phone: ‘Sorry, I got a bit defensive, didn’t I?’ But in fact, it was rather nice being the object of Benedict’s derision, because: 1) he was completely right; 2) his rant involved an impromptu rendition of Hamlet’s ‘drown the stage with tears’ speech, and it was spectacular; and 3) he was so unguarded. Benedict is funny and smart – he’s great company – but he’s struggling to walk a line between being genuine and people-pleasing, so it’s rather nice when he forgets to care.

I'd love to have read more about this, and to have heard the speech!

Benedict is on the phone to his best friend Adam, who is joining us at the Chiltern Firehouse for drinks. ‘I’m going to tell you what drink to order,’ he is whispering into the handset. ‘But I don’t want to say it out loud because I want to order one for her [that’s me] and I don’t want her to hear the name because it’s so funny.’

We are ensconced in the snug, curtained off from the prying eyes, with a window directly on to the bar. He ends his call, and leans forwards. ‘Would you like aquick one before dinner?’ he asks me. Then he calls through the hatch: ‘Two Quick Ones Before Dinner,’ he tells the barman.

I don't think he'd really have been too bothered by Amanda's Star Trek jokes

And a bit more about intrusive fans:

When discussing fans who furtively try to take his photo, for example, you can hear his longing to embrace a robust approach. ‘People asking is nice. But when people just go [he imitates someone sneakily holding up a camera phone, dropping his jaw to the side], and they do generally do that mouth, [he does it again] then I’m guns-blazing. I cross-question them. They’re like: “What, what are you talking about? I haven’t taken your picture.” And I’m: “Then let me see your phone.” And they’re like, “No, I’m not showing you my phone,” and I’m [his voice rises in indignation], “Well don’t f*cking take a photograph of me then.”’

Except he doesn’t actually say that last bit out loud. ‘No, not so much,’ he says ruefully. ‘But in my head, in my head… There are times when I’m completely fine with it, and other times I’m: “Actually I’m with someone you’re totally ignoring and standing on while trying to get a photo of me, and this is not the right time.” Then they walk away and I think: “God, am I an arsehole? Should I be accessible all the time?” But I think: “Not really.”’

"People asking is nice" - he really doesn't ask for much - just to be asked and a little bit of consideration/acknowledgment of whoever he's with.

I also was amused by the interviewer looking up his love scenes (she was sadly disappointed) on Youtube to prepare for the interview (well, you would, wouldn't you?), and her being prim and awkward on the back of the motorbike

Last edited by Liberty (October 30, 2014 12:15 am)

October 29, 2014 11:11 pm  #30

I have to read the whole thing sometime. These parts are great. 

I just love his responses... that sense of humour is right up my street!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

October 30, 2014 9:22 am  #31

That aside, I just found a slightly disturbing article in which David Cameron is dissed for refusing to wear this shirt:

Article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/27/david-cameron-feminist-t-shirt-refusal

Thank God that Ben wore it. He would be immediatelly labeled a raging misogynist by the aggressive media otherwise.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 30, 2014 10:08 am  #32

Come on, he's the Prime Minister and is supposed to live with media. He's not a poor little lamb.

Plus, I think this comment meets it quite well:
Prime minister responsible for policies actively damaging to women refuses to wear feminist t-shirt for women's magazine. *massive shrug*
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/526681015973318656

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 30, 2014 10:12 am  #33

I just don´t like good causes being promoted in this aggresive manner. The virtue itself turns vice being misapplied.
How can we know then if the support for the cause was sincere - if it is enforced on people by these media tactics?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 30, 2014 11:41 am  #34

http://www.elleuk.com/now-trending/benedict-cumberbatch-talks-sherlock-and-sex

Don't know what to say to be honest...but somehow I feel...um...not good with that...

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

October 30, 2014 11:52 am  #35

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 30, 2014 11:53 am  #36

Had a discussion about it in this thread:
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5814

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 30, 2014 11:54 am  #37

Late.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

October 30, 2014 11:57 am  #38

Thanks; )

I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second, that I am one of them...
S.H

Board footera