BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2014 6:58 pm  #181

Re: Tom Hiddleston nominates Benedict for the Ice Bucket Challenge

so here I am, damned forever. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

August 24, 2014 7:22 pm  #182

Like the rest of us 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 24, 2014 8:38 pm  #183

Harriet wrote:

But even you have to admit that he displays a great commitment for the cause as well as humour and creativity and courage, don't you?

Of course, Harriet, of course. Who would dare deny it? I'm sure he's not just a brilliant, brilliant actor but also a wonderful person. I particularly like the way he seems so grounded, you know, no scandals, not seeking media attention all the time, not publicly smooching a different female celeb every week and all the stuff lots of other stars do.

I just don't seem to swoon for and obsess over actors (meaning the real life persons). As opposed to characters! Benedict-as-Sherlock floors me with his hotness practically every time he comes on screen. Benedict-as-Benedict doesn't. Weird!

About looking his age (or not), I agree that it changes a lot, both over the course of the series (which is natural, as well as consistent with Sherlock maturing) and within the series, even within one and the same episode. The scenes with Mycroft and/or his parents are particularly striking that way. He really does look younger in those. Is it just technical wizardry (make-up, lighting etc.)? But if not, how does he do it?!

Anyway I think I just got confused because I used to have somewhat maternal feelings for Sherlock, but then I went and looked up Benedict's age and realised he's actually a year OLDER than I am, which suprised me mightily.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 24, 2014 8:40 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 24, 2014 8:47 pm  #184

I love this quote by Vaughan Sivell, the script writer of "Third Star":

“He is rare even amongst the acting breed. If the character description says handsome: he is. If it says Nasty: he is. Older: he is… Younger: he is. For this reason I just can’t wait to see what he will become.”

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2014 8:52 pm  #185

I´ve heard "nasty" and stopped reading  but seriously - I agree. and I deeply admit his skills in acting. I will probably never find out his what kind of person he is, but - nevermind how young I am - I cam admire him in movies, and I want to thank him for that.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

August 24, 2014 8:54 pm  #186

That is an amazing quote and I can agree 100% with it. He's a very believable actor; he becomes his characters... 

I'm a huge fan of his talent as an actor; it's incredible to watch and follow and I can tell it won't be boring. 

The fact that I find him absolutely hot and stunning too is just added onto that. I fell for his talent first... I started out purely Sherlocked and just couldn't get into Benedict... now I'm a CumberCookie to the core. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 24, 2014 8:56 pm  #187

La Jolie wrote:

Of course, Harriet, of course. Who would dare deny it? I'm sure he's not just a brilliant, brilliant actor but also a wonderful person. I particularly like the way he seems so grounded, you know, no scandals, not seeking media attention all the time, not publicly smooching a different female celeb every week and all the stuff lots of other stars do.

I just don't seem to swoon for and obsess over actors (meaning the real life persons). As opposed to characters! Benedict-as-Sherlock floors me with his hotness practically every time he comes on screen. Benedict-as-Benedict doesn't. Weird!

For all we know, yes. Intelligent, educated and warm 

Not so weird. I first got Sherlocked myself and then learnt to really enjoy Benedict's appearance.
Probably it wouldn't have worked for me the other way round 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 24, 2014 8:57 pm  #188

same as me....

August 24, 2014 8:59 pm  #189

same as I am twice ^^

August 24, 2014 9:26 pm  #190

SusiGo wrote:

I love this quote by Vaughan Sivell, the script writer of "Third Star":

“He is rare even amongst the acting breed. If the character description says handsome: he is. If it says Nasty: he is. Older: he is… Younger: he is. For this reason I just can’t wait to see what he will become.”

What a beautiful quote. It basically says what we've been talking about in various threads in the past, give him a role and Benedict can do anything and be anyone. That's why I could never only be in love with Sherlock... there are so many other characters to fall in love with, and ultimately you fall in love with Benedict.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 25, 2014 4:59 am  #191

I totally agree. His acting skills are unbelievable brilliant. For me it is impossible not to fall in love with the person behind the characters.
There certainly are a few actors who I am also admiring because of their acting skills but none of them has the whole package. (You know ... Solar  )

Last edited by gently69 (August 25, 2014 5:00 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 25, 2014 7:00 am  #192

I actually think Benedict is better looking as himself than as Sherlock (or in other parts).   I could watch him endlessly.   But it would feel odd (for me, not saying it should feel that way for anyone else!) to fantasise about a real and apparently very nice actual famous person.  Whereas I'll quite happily fantasise about fantasy characters, i.e. the characters he acts.  I don't really want to read fanfiction about Benedict as himself, either (although I have read one, and it was quite entertaining).   I don't usually have celebrity crushes on actual living people.  They're almost exclusively on fantasy characters - characters in books, games, films, etc.   Is it just me?

Last edited by Liberty (August 25, 2014 7:01 am)

August 25, 2014 7:36 am  #193

Well, I definitely have a crush on Benedict - but I would never want to read fanfiction about him. Ugh! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 25, 2014 7:39 am  #194

As far as I know nobody here ever spoke in favour of Benedict fanfic. Everybody agreed on that point 

August 25, 2014 7:48 am  #195

I was merely responding to Liberty, because she mentioned that she read one. I just wanted to make clear that having a crush on an actual living person doesn't mean that you would want to read fanfic about him. I have my own fantasies. 

August 25, 2014 8:50 am  #196

Liberty wrote:

I don't usually have celebrity crushes on actual living people.  They're almost exclusively on fantasy characters - characters in books, games, films, etc.   Is it just me?

Of course it's not just you. As I said, I don't do actor crushes either. If you take it to extremes it's incredibly disrespectful of the actual person to appropriate them for your own purposes (like fanfic about real persons - eurgh!), but it also worries me what excessive worshipping of a real person may do them (the worshipped, not the worshipper). 

Being famous is always a double-edged sword. An incredible amount of pressure comes with it. You may argue that every actor who allows himself to become famous makes a conscious and well-informed choice about what he signs up for, but I wouldn't want to add to that pressure all the same. Fame messes with people's heads, even with people who have always appeared very grounded and nicely normal. It just happens again and again and I think I would feel very guilty to think I'd have contributed to that with my excessive adoration.

I don't mean that it isn't OK to swoon over an actor and watch all his movies and seek out every piece of news about him and share all the love with like-minded people on the internet. That's not excessive, that's normal, and that's part of what the actor gets paid for, so it's a fair exchange. It's just the excessive stuff I'm worried about (of which I've seen nothing around this place though ),  and that worry seems to form some sort of barrier for me that altogether stops me from developping crushes on real celebrities.

Last edited by La Jolie (August 25, 2014 8:51 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

August 25, 2014 10:42 am  #197

And in Benedict's case, he's courting it, to some extent.  The ice bucket challenge seemed to involve a bit of knowing flirting with the fans (which I appreciate).  

I'd like to say that I don't fantasise about actors because I respect them and don't want to objectify them, but I don't think that's true of me.  Right from when I was very young I remember going to see a film with a star I liked, and completely falling for the character in the film instead of the actor (even though the character was a bit of a cad).  I can find the actor very attractive (I did watch the ice bucket video several times), but fantasise about the character.  I'm not sure why that is.  Maybe it's just because the actor is real, and I don't tend to go for real guys who I think are out of my league (and I'm not putting myself down if I say the world's sexiest movie star might come into that category).  In real life, when I've known extremely attractive men, I think I automatically put barriers up because I don't fall for them.  I just like to admire their beauty. 

Edit: Or, I just thought, maybe it's because the characters are more interesting - you get to know them intimately in a way that you don't really know a famous person.  I don't think I'd fall for a character who just walked on to look pretty.  Because part of fantasy is story, and with the characters you have their story right there, with all the emotions and motives and stuff.  And story/drama seems to be tied in with romance/sex for me. 

Real person fanfiction - I did read one, as I said, even if it was by accident (no really, it was.  I was looking for something else), and it wasn't as bad as I would have thought.   I think it's impolite, maybe?  But I'm not shocked by it - I get the idea that it's almost about fantasy versions of the real people rather than the real people themselves. I should probably feel more outraged than I do.   But I agree that it must require public figures to have a certain strength of character to distance themselves from all that, and not let it impinge on who they are.  I can't imagine what it must be like. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 25, 2014 11:11 am)

August 25, 2014 11:48 am  #198

Liberty, LaJolie, et. al., well said.  I have been pondering the nature off fame and its effects on someone like Benedict. I think having ten plus years in the profession under his belt, as well as being around it all his life, have helped him to retain some perspective. But in spite of his good nature, I think it takes a toll sometimes. 

At the same time, I have been trying to understand the mechanisms of fandom and the celebrity crush.  I have always in the past been quite level-headed in my admiration of musicians and actors - the feels I get from Benedict and his work are novel and confusing. Mid-life crisis? Losing my mind? 

So I really appreciate your perspectives on these issues.

August 25, 2014 12:18 pm  #199

I've had celebrity crushes since I was old enough to know what a celebrity is.  Some bigger than others but all of them have brought me a lot of pleasure.  Fantasy is fun.  As long as it doesn't interfere with your real life relationships I say just enjoy. 

I've had fantisies about Sherlock (not real) and Benedict (never gonna happen).  I've also had crushes on people I work with.  But these are things I keep for myself.  Not to be acted on.  Fantasy crushes can be positive things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 25, 2014 3:54 pm  #200

The video... without slow motion!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQFQ3ku6NA#t=103

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera