BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2015 7:02 am  #341

Re: Baby Watson (spoilers!)

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

mrshouse wrote:

Well, yes, I'm a Johnlocker, but my problem with Mary, as we have discussed widely in various Mary-threads, was NEVER EVER that she gets in the way of "my" ship. I'm no stubborn teenage girl swooning. I ADORED Sarah, just for the record. I want concentration on the boys, and noone treating them like dummys and running after them to save their butts. So, back to Holmes and Watson, please, and therefore - Topic!- no baby, please....

YES!!!!!! Spot on. 

yes, same here, I certainly wasn't saying that that's what Johnlockers do. No explanation needed. I feel the same.

This doesn't mean Moffat thinks the same, though.

September 12, 2015 7:04 pm  #342

Very detailed an interesting meta about the problem of Baby Watson:

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/80839602370/why-we-may-never-meet-baby-watson

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 12, 2015 7:51 pm  #343

So many important points covered. I am impressed. And it would fit with the "devastating" ideas for series 4, especially if combined with other ideas about Mycroft, etc. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 20, 2015 10:19 am  #344

This is quite a thorough meta about David:

http://johnnlocked.tumblr.com/post/129481544141/the-baby-problem

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 20, 2015 10:29 am  #345

nakahara wrote:

Very detailed an interesting meta about the problem of Baby Watson:

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/80839602370/why-we-may-never-meet-baby-watson

I haven't gotten far in this thread, but just read this one now. And was quite impressed, she brings up many valid and good points about the baby and when it's mentioned.

I seriously doubt the pregnancy being fake, though. John is her husband, they share a bed. It makes no sense at all that he wouldn't notice a fake belly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 20, 2015 11:48 am  #346

I think if they went for the 'fake belly' option, I would seriously start thinking that I'm watching some weird cheap pantomime story, and not the sleek intelligent and original show that I thought I was watching.

September 20, 2015 1:11 pm  #347

Yeah.  And besides, why would she want to fake the pregnancy symptoms that she showed in The Sign of Three? Wouldn't make the wedding fun to complain about the wine you chose  just to put on an act.  Besides, she cringes from tasting it even after Sherlock's walked away.  I doubt she'd keep up the masquerade if nobody was looking.  He sickness that morning was assumed as just nerves, so coupled with the other things Sherlock notices and that we see, there's no reason it shouldn't be true,

Clueing for looks.

September 20, 2015 4:23 pm  #348

I do not believe in a fake pregnancy either. Hence the David meta.

September 20, 2015 9:41 pm  #349

I don't even believe the 'the baby is David's' story because in my eyes there is no reason why Mary would ever cheat on John. She is in love with him and they've only been going out for like a year, so why would she sleep with someone else?

September 21, 2015 4:30 am  #350

Dorothy83 wrote:

I don't even believe the 'the baby is David's' story because in my eyes there is no reason why Mary would ever cheat on John. She is in love with him and they've only been going out for like a year, so why would she sleep with someone else?

There are so many reasons. Maybe he is simply fantastic in bed. It could be some kind of power game she plays to satisfy her own need for a dangerous life style. Maybe she has trust issues and tries to cope that way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 21, 2015 6:55 am  #351

It would certainly help to explain Mary's "you won't love me" line. 

I think an affair seems terribly mundane, though.  After her shooting Sherlock and turning out to be an assassin, the big revelation is that she had an affair?  And I agree with the above - why would she have an affair, if she's so attached to John?  (I know these things happen in real life, but it's fiction).   And she seems surprised by the pregnancy: if she was having an affair, then you'd think that risk would be on her mind. 

There would have to be a particular reason, maybe work-related, why she was sleeping with this guy.   But Sherlock has researched him and he doesn't seem to have any strange history that would make that likely. 

Mary's fear when she hears about the pregnancy, could be because she doesn't know whose child it is.   Obviously she and John have an active enough sex life that it doesn't occur to John that she couldn't have conceived with him in that time frame.   So Mary can't know the baby is David's, can she?  Unless she knows something about John that he doesn't (that he's infertile). 

Which probably means that Mary is waiting for the baby to be born to find out the father.  But there's no guarantee that she'll confess to John (she clearly hasn't done so far).  If there's a good chance the baby is his, she might just keep quiet.   In which case, nobody would find out, unless there was something obvious like an inherited condition (John and David have similar colouring).    Perhaps she could secretly get DNA testing, and find out that the baby was David's, but then what?   It would be a bit of a soap opera/Jeremy Kyle style revelation if she told John (or perhaps had him coming across test results)..

The trouble is, by that time the baby would be John's too.  He and Mary are married, he has thought of himself as the father through the pregnancy, and bonded with the baby after birth.  The child would be legally and emotionally his.   It wouldn't be an easy exit from his life, just because he found out that they weren't biologically related. 

So no, I don't think that an affair, on it's own, would work.  It would need some other amazing story to explain it.

September 21, 2015 8:53 am  #352

sorry but honestly the affair thing seems too trivial and soap operish to me for a show like Sherlock. I would laugh if that were to be the 'twist' - and then probably throw something at the TV.

side note - David really doesn't seem like the guy who could be good in bed

September 21, 2015 9:03 am  #353

Maybe he has an enormous

bank account/lot of enthusiasm./amount of information that Mary somehow needs

?

And just another quick point - infidelity, or the possibility of it, seems to be what Sherlock is looking for when he checks out David.  He pre-emptively warns David off, but it's clear that he didn't deduce any current affair with Mary.    And that would have been around the time that baby Watson was conceived. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 21, 2015 9:07 am)

September 21, 2015 9:10 am  #354

Omg liberty HAHAH.

Right, he doesn't deduce an affair, also that scene was put there for laughs, so it can't suddenly turn into the big twist, Again, this is a serious show and not Eastenders...(don't mean to be disrespectful to Eastenders but ya know what I mean! )

Last edited by Dorothy83 (September 21, 2015 9:18 am)

September 21, 2015 9:21 am  #355

I think it says a lot about how dark the show is (or how dark we believe the show to become) when we believe that an affair resulting in the baby not being John's would be the least painful alternative for him... 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

September 21, 2015 9:38 am  #356

OMG, Liberty, I won't tell you what I expected behind that spoiler tag.....
Vhanja, am I very self-centered to find this the least painful alternative for me as a fan?? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 21, 2015 9:42 am  #357

mrshouse - I think in the short-term it would be the least painful alternative for me as well. In the long term, I think I might be disappointed if that was all there was to it.

Team Hudders!

September 21, 2015 11:30 am  #358

I think ultimately you need to choose whether you'd rather have the less painful option but see your show change completely and go from quality to trash, or have the painful option if it means quality writing and no loss in tone and personality.

September 22, 2015 10:35 am  #359

Prediction:

The child will be actually Sherlock´s, not John´s. Mary liked Sherlock a bit too much.

This will be the reason of reducing an audience to tears in S4.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 22, 2015 11:39 am  #360

Oh noes, Sherlock will turn into a soap!

Team Hudders!

Board footera