BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2014 8:08 pm  #401

Re: Violence at the reunion

Vhanja wrote:

So we have the inexusable behaviour of letting John go through hell for two years. Then he is so caught up in his own bubble that he can't fathom why John wouldn't be happy to see him. Even though he lacks the social skills to understand that by himself, Mycroft do tell him this. And Sherlock dismisses it - because everything revolves around him. 

And then, seeing John's reactions, he starts feeling guilty. And feeling guilty is not a good feeling, so Sherlock wants to get rid of it. Getting John's forgivess will help him get rid of it. So he stages the worst kind of emotional blackmail to a man who has several times already experienced the trauma of nearly dying. Because getting rid of his own guilt and restore emotional equlibrum is for Sherlock much more important than the trauma he puts John through.

I think he should consider himself lucky getting away with a bloody nose and bruised lip.

In the original story: Moriarty´s network was already unveiled and was gradually being destroyed by the police at the moment of Sherlock´s duel with Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls. Sherlock´s decision to fake his death was spontaneous after he defeated Moriarty - it was something of a whim. Sherlock was living a happy life incognito, visiting various countries and having exciting adventures. All that time, his reputation as the greatest detective and moral individual was intact and even Lestrade, who once abhored him, revered him as a god in his absence. Sherlock only decided to return when he heard about an interesting case that just took place in London. And yet John, who was left in belief of Sherlock´s death for three long years, forgave Sherlock completely, not holding him responsible for the unusual events and the malevolence of Moriarty´s gang that forced him into such behaviour in the first place. As a true friend should.

In the BBC Version: The Moriarty´s gang is in full power at the time Sherlock fakes his death. One of M´s people infiltrated Scotland Yard and is shadowing Lestrade, other person entered Sherlock´s own house under the guise of being the workman and has Mrs. Hudson in his aim. Four murderers moved in as Sherlock´s closest neighbours. There can be many more and nobody can be sure who they are or what would they do. In the process of fighting Moriarty, Sherlock´s reputation collapsed. Not only was he tarnished by the media as an absolute monster, but he was being accussed of severe crimes as well and was forced to be on the run or to get arrested. He whose biggest pride is to be a great detective lost this reputation too and was being introduced as a fraud to the public. After he flees, he must constantly fight with the members of Moriarty´s gang, being captured and severely tortured in Serbia. His brother knows where Sherlock is and how he suffers, but he only bothers to get Sherlock out of the danger when he needs him in London. Sure, being in such situation, Sherlock certainly had time to send John postcards with greetings, letting him know that he lives. 

Yet it is him who is an arse? Is it not actually John who feels that everything revolves around him?

Sherlock tells him that a parliament (which at that evening will be full of people, politicians and employees alike) will be destroyed and asks for John´s help and what does John do? He buttheads Sherlock viciously. Who cares about parliamentary employees and passers-by on the street below being killed? They are unimportant next to John´s hurt feelings. Because everything revolves around John. Let´s even injure Sherlock so that he will be delayed in his rescue attempt while taking care of his battered face. Sherlock´s protection of people from the aftereffect of madman´s orders (who just randomly killed dozens of innocents in S1, especially in The Great Game, just to make a point and whose supporters could kill Sherlock´s friends anytime, if they knew he was alive) also doesn´t count. John´s hurt feelings are above such lowly and unimportant things as human lives. 

In the Granada adaptation: John tags along Sherlock when they investigate the case and actively helps to catch Moran, disabling him with a punch when Sebastian Moran overpowers his friend in a fight. He proved himself as a invaluable companion and support to Sherlock.

In the BBC Version: John tags along Sherlock when they investigate the case because when he is left at home, bored, he soon starts to sprain people for fun and to jump at them wielding a tire-lever. But the moment when things go awry, he starts accusing Sherlock as if it was his fault somehow that all of this happened and even then he does not contribute one iota to stopping the bomb, just whines ineptly. 

Sherlock´s scaring John off that they would be blown to the air was not an emotional blackmail. It was a shock therapy, a kick-to-the-pants, so that John finally pulls his head out of his ass and finally let go of his petty vengeance in which he walloved throughout the whole episode. And it works! John suddenly sees what is important and he forgives Sherlock, because at the last moment of his life, he realises what a stupid thing it is to feel insulted over things that were not in Sherlock´s power to prevent.

Last edited by nakahara (December 14, 2014 8:11 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2014 8:16 pm  #402

Whoa, nakahara! What a rant. Have I told you people lately that I love this thread?

Lots of good points, though. I don't think we'll ever really get anywhere though if we keep trying to decide whether the botched Reunion was Sherlock's or John's fault, because the way I see it they both made big mistakes and they both behaved unacceptably, one way or another.

Oh, and I do have to defend Mycroft. I don't think he'd have left Sherlock to die in prison in Serbia if there hadn't been the Guy Fawkes plot. The way I read the Serbia scene in TEH, I think that by telling Sherlock about this plot, and to come back to investigate it, he was merely giving him a reason to actually stay conscious and upright long enough to get out of that prison and to safety. He wasn't going to cuddle him and say things like "it's over, I've got you, you'll be fine" because he is Mycroft, but he did see the need at that point to keep Sherlock interested in, well, life, and telling him he was needed for a big case was as good an incentive as any.

Vhanja wrote:

So we have the inexusable behaviour of letting John go through hell for two years. Then he is so caught up in his own bubble that he can't fathom why John wouldn't be happy to see him. Even though he lacks the social skills to understand that by himself, Mycroft do tell him this. And Sherlock dismisses it - because everything revolves around him.

But don't rule out the possibility that Sherlock may have simply dismissed it because it was Mycroft who told him. He almost automatically reacts negatively to anything Mycroft says and does and suggests. (Remember how he really didn't want to take the Bruce Partington case in TGG? I mean, why wouldn't he? It was interesting and intriguing and right up his street in every particular, and the only reason why he didn't jump at it the moment it was offered to him was that it was Mycroft who offered it...)

Now you're going to say that that is just further proof of Sherlock's terrible immaturity, and it is, but I think it matters that it was Mycroft who advised Sherlock against taking John by surprise like that, because that was the surest way to make Sherlock do exactly that.

Hi Vhanja, by the way. I don't think we've met.

Mary - I don't believe the Chronicles haven't made it over into the New World yet? Why aren't we running a private mail order service on the boards to make sure you people over there get them, too?

I was totally dumbfounded at the revelation that the writers imagined the fake phonecall to John to originate from Moriarty. Well, the scene was cut, so the final version is open to interpretation again, but still. It adds another layer of astounding deductional powers on Sherlock's part to the whole plot - namely that Sherlock knew that Moriarty would make that call to get John out of the way, because he'd arranged for the airbag and everything else before that call ever came, and the whole plot of how to survive was clearly based on John being out of the way indeed (as well as watching from the ground). Quite amazing. I wonder what Plan B would have been if Moriarty hadn't made the fake call?

Last edited by La Jolie (December 14, 2014 8:28 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t move, don’t speak, don’t breathe. I’m trying to think.

December 14, 2014 8:31 pm  #403

Nakahara, thank you, thank you, thank you for your post. I agree with every word of it except for the very end bit, in that I don't think John has truly forgiven Sherlock, at least not in a way that Sherlock believes, if his actions in the rest of the series are anything to go by.

La Jolie wrote:

Mary - I don't believe the Chronicles haven't made it over into the New World yet? Why aren't we running a private mail order service on the boards to make sure you people over there get them, too?

I'm currently in a Latin American backwater, which is not helping my situation. I can't buy the Kindle edition because of stupid Amazon restrictions. So I have set up this elaborate scheme with the perfect cast of characters (John, Sarah, Molly, Mycroft....) to get me the book by sometime in May for nothing more than the cost of the book and a couple of beers for Mycroft since John and Sarah owe me for some work I did for them. The short of it is that John and Sarah are going home to the UK for the holidays. So John's mum in Hampshire will receive the book, it'll come to Canada in their luggage and be transferred to Molly who lives right on the US border and shops there frequently. Molly will bring the book to the US and use the super cheap USPS book rate to mail the book to Mycroft who is holidaying in the US. He'll hold onto it and give it to me when we meet up in late April or May.

So where there's a dedicated Sherlockian, absolutely anything is possible!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 14, 2014 8:31 pm  #404

La Jolie wrote:

But don't rule out the possibility that Sherlock may have simply dismissed it because it was Mycroft who told him. He almost automatically reacts negatively to anything Mycroft says and does and suggests. (Remember how he really didn't want to take the Bruce Partington case in TGG? I mean, why wouldn't he? It was interesting and intriguing and right up his street in every particular, and the only reason why he didn't jump at it the moment it was offered to him was that it was Mycroft who offered it...)

Now you're going to say that that is just further proof of Sherlock's terrible immaturity, and it is, but I think it matters that it was Mycroft who advised Sherlock against taking John by surprise like that, because that was the surest way to make Sherlock do exactly that.

The way I see it Sherlock was simply too impatient to meet John again and couldn´t wait any further. His recriminations against Mycroft had nothing to do with it.
(Really, must Sherlock have always some childish or sinister motives for his actions? Cannot he simply do things because he enjoys them?)

Last edited by nakahara (December 14, 2014 8:33 pm)

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2014 8:41 pm  #405

La Jolie wrote:

Oh, and I do have to defend Mycroft. I don't think he'd have left Sherlock to die in prison in Serbia if there hadn't been the Guy Fawkes plot. The way I read the Serbia scene in TEH, I think that by telling Sherlock about this plot, and to come back to investigate it, he was merely giving him a reason to actually stay conscious and upright long enough to get out of that prison and to safety. He wasn't going to cuddle him and say things like "it's over, I've got you, you'll be fine" because he is Mycroft, but he did see the need at that point to keep Sherlock interested in, well, life, and telling him he was needed for a big case was as good an incentive as any.

Oh, I don´t think Mycroft wanted to let Sherlock die. Mycroft must first and foremost work for the benefit of his country and it´s possible he would endanger it if he acted sooner. I also think he was sure that Sherlock would survive till he comes to his rescue. Still, that doesn´t change the fact that he appared by Sherlock´s side quite late - althrough it was no fault of his own.

December 14, 2014 9:09 pm  #406

La Jolie wrote:

(Remember how he really didn't want to take the Bruce Partington case in TGG?

I read that case completely differently from you. He acted like he wasn't interested in it, but, really, it was his primary focus. He very likely solved it early on, got John to actively investigate to keep Mycroft off his back, and then moved on to the other games while he figured out how to lure out Moriarty. I think he was very much into the case, but heaven forbid that Mycroft know that!

Mary

December 14, 2014 9:15 pm  #407

maryagrawatson wrote:

You could just have PM'ed any of the European regulars and asked them to send you a copy, you know.

And now I feel like John in TBB when Sherlock is dancing around him excitedly going on about the mechanics of short term memory, and John just pulls out his phone and goes "look, I took a picture".

BTW, we read the Bruce Partington case in TGG the same way. Of course he was interested in it and pursued it straight away, but he pretended to Mycroft that he wasn't, for NO reason except to annoy his brother, which IS totally immature.

Last edited by La Jolie (December 14, 2014 9:17 pm)

December 14, 2014 9:17 pm  #408

nakahara wrote:

In the BBC Version: John tags along Sherlock when they investigate the case because when he is left at home, bored, he soon starts to sprain people for fun and to jump at them wielding a tire-lever. But the moment when things go awry, he starts accusing Sherlock as if it was his fault somehow that all of this happened and even then he does not contribute one iota to stopping the bomb, just whines ineptly.

Love your post, Nakahara, and really needed this laugh after being wrung out by The Hobbit!   This is actually true - and there's also John self-righteously dragging Sherlock off for drug testing instead of believing that he's on a case.   We're repeatedly told that John is Sherlock's moral compass.  Sometimes it feels like it's the other way around!  Seriously - John has issues.  He's basically good and moral, but far more impetuous and volatile than Sherlock, and driven by something darker. 

December 14, 2014 9:40 pm  #409

La Jolie wrote:

maryagrawatson wrote:

You could just have PM'ed any of the European regulars and asked them to send you a copy, you know.  

Yeah, but then I would have had to pay a TON in shipping and waited till I got back to my cottage in June. This way, my only cost is the book itself and a six pack of beer and I get it about six weeks sooner! So it might sound convoluted, but it's really the most sensible way of doing it!

BTW, we read the Bruce Partington case in TGG the same way. Of course he was interested in it and pursued it straight away, but he pretended to Mycroft that he wasn't, for NO reason except to annoy his brother, which IS totally immature.

Mycroft treats him like a child and he acts like a child. Their dynamic is interesting.

Mary

December 14, 2014 9:46 pm  #410

maryagrawatson wrote:

Their dynamic is interesting. 

Understatement of the month.

OK, sorry, everyone. Back on topic.

December 14, 2014 10:24 pm  #411

I can't get enough of that dynamic. Mysterious. 

December 14, 2014 10:40 pm  #412

silverblaze wrote:

I can't get enough of that dynamic. Mysterious. 

I don't find it mysterious, in fact I think it makes perfect sense. But it is very, very unusual, and every time I think about it, I can't get over what a brilliant, brilliant relationship the writers of the show have created there. The possibilities are delightfully endless.

(OK, me and the Holmes brothers. Sorry. Now REALLY back on topic.)

December 15, 2014 6:16 am  #413

Hi, La Jolie.  

Yeah, it could have been because it was Mycroft. But, then again, he DID crack the case in TGG anyway. So even if he didn't want to admit to Mycroft that he had a point, he could have thought in over when he was alone. 

Sherlock has always been the type of person who wants his emotions validated and his needs met NOW. If he miserable, then so is everybody else. Emotionally, he is still like a child, and making him feel good is more important than anything else. He hasn't learned that other people's emotions are importnant too, sometimes more important than his. He always wants instant gratification (if he is bored, he will shoot up the wall or take drugs). 

I think this is what's behind his actions in TEH. He misses John and wants to see him NOW. When he fails miserably to interpret the situation, he tries to calm John by horrendously bad jokes. And STILL he is unable to grasp John's emotions, waving them away as overreaction and plunging straight into his "You've missed this"-speech. 

But he feels guilt over this, seeing John's reaction throughout the episode. I don't think that is an emotion Sherlock feels often, so it must very strange and uncomfortable. That feeling has to go! So he stages the tube-scene to again get his feelings validated. He needed to be forgiven and he needed it NOW. Because he didn't want that guilt-feeling anymore.

So, yes, I think he was the biggest arse to John that we've ever seen in this episode. (And makes up for all of it in TSoT, the entire episode is Sherlock putting John over his own feelings, it's heartwarming to see).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 8:07 am  #414

I agree with your characterisation of Sherlock, Vhanja - well written and straight to the point. Greg Lestrade said it in ASIP, "I'm dealing with a child", and it's stayed true ever since.

But you also make another very important point, which is that TEH and TSOT have to been seen together, under the aspect of guilt and trying to make up for mistakes.

On the surface, it does look sad that Sherlock should ever sink so low as to be youtubing serviettes instead of brilliantly solving cases and saving the United Kingdom from catastrophic terrorist attacks. But it's not about serviettes, really, it's a declaration of love, if in an unusual disguise, and I can find nothing degrading in a declaration of love. 

Of course John will have been happy to find that Sherlock got along so well with Mary, and that Sherlock took  an interest in their wedding, but he certainly never asked or expected Sherlock to go THAT far out of his way just in order to make John and Mary happy. He did that by his own choice, because he felt the need to. Whether John fully realised and properly appreciated it is another question (see the start of HLV), but that just ties in with the point I'm mainly trying to make, which is that I don't think it is helpful to try and put the blame for the botched Reunion on one pair of shoulders alone (no matter which one).

Last edited by La Jolie (December 15, 2014 8:11 am)

December 15, 2014 8:14 am  #415

Yes, I think we get a more nuanced and better picture seeing those two episodes (and even TLV) together. Sherlock goes from being the biggest arse ever seen to the best best man you can be. I don't think folding seviettes was pathetic in the least, I found it heartwarming, bordering on moving.

Then again, I guess Sherlock is a bit of an "all or nothing"-person. So either he would ignore the wedding completely, or he will go all in. 

As for the reunion, I have to admit that I put the majority of the blame on Sherlock. John only loses it when Sherlock - again and again - crosses the line and shows that he understands nothing of what John is going through. I honestly believe the meeting would have been less violent if Sherlock had shown a bit more care and empathy for John's feelings.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 8:48 am  #416

I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's fair that somebody should have to act a certain way to avoid violence.   It was a misunderstanding on Sherlock's part ... he'd been at his grave and knew that John wanted him not to be dead and I think he just didn't think much further than that John would be delighted when he found out Sherlock was alive.    I think he really does look at in as simplistic a way as that.  It's kind of innocent. 

I don't even know if there was a right way to approach it, which would have been easier for John (apart from John being forewarned and coming to terms with it before physically seeing Sherlock, although even then, I'm not sure ...).  Sherlock tries different approaches to reconciliation during those scenes, and all of them end in violence.  I think that was coming whatever, regardless of what Sherlock did (and I think the commentary suggests that - they really wanted to put the violence in).  I've read (on this thread, I think) that between S2 and S3 a lot of people thought that John would punch Sherlock at the reunion.  Whatever Sherlock did was going to lead to that. 

Here's that a little bit of the commentary, (taken from Arianne De Vere):

Mark:  ... "The interesting thing about the point where we rejoin it is that John has really been through it but is actually about to turn the corner, and at the worst possible time ...”
Steven: “... back [Sherlock] comes. This was something we were quite keen on because we sort of felt that Sherlock Holmes in the original story gets away with it to an extraordinary degree, when he’s really asking for a punch in the face – which, after a century – he finally gets.”
Mark: ..."But in the original story he really ... Doctor Watson is a bit aggrieved and then [Holmes] says, ‘Well, I couldn’t have told you, Watson, because you’d have probably blabbed about it,’ and even that he doesn’t object to! And then he’s going, ‘It’s good to see you,’ and then they’re off. And we always said that maybe Doctor Watson wasn’t quite telling the exact truth. He faints in the original story.”
Steven: “I think he beats Sherlock up, and about a month later they resume the conversation.”

December 15, 2014 8:52 am  #417

Vhanja wrote:

Sherlock has always been the type of person who wants his emotions validated and his needs met NOW. If he miserable, then so is everybody else. Emotionally, he is still like a child, and making him feel good is more important than anything else. He hasn't learned that other people's emotions are importnant too, sometimes more important than his. He always wants instant gratification (if he is bored, he will shoot up the wall or take drugs). 

Sherlock is only childish in small, insignificant moments, mostly when he is at home and bored out of his wits and when his childishness doesn´t harm anybody. But when things get serious, he is able of incredible restraint, patience and self-sacrifice. He sacrifices everything for his friends exactly because he values them and wants to protect and to save them, even when it means hurting their feelings. I´m sure regarding both TRF and TEH that if Sherlock could spare the emotions of his friends being hurt, he would do it. But so many things were against him in those episodes that he just couldn´t ensure it.

To reproach him that he was childish when he gave up so much and was constantly engaged in a fight to finally win safety and normal lives for his friends in the long run is like reproaching a firefighter who just saved people from being burn to death that he has black sooth on his face. When we see Sherlock´s action throughout the series, this claim is simply ungrounded. Also, we saw Sherlock shooting the wall exactly one time and we saw him taking drugs only one time too in the entire series. Why do you think that one time = constantly?

Vhanja wrote:

But he feels guilt over this, seeing John's reaction throughout the episode. I don't think that is an emotion Sherlock feels often, so it must very strange and uncomfortable. That feeling has to go! So he stages the tube-scene to again get his feelings validated. He needed to be forgiven and he needed it NOW. Because he didn't want that guilt-feeling anymore.

He stages the tube scene because he wants to reconcile with John and to continue their friendship. There is nothing selfish in that. He already apologised twice in the episode, but the obstinate English bulldog John loves his recriminations and wounded pride more than he loves him. So when conventional methods did not bring the result Sherlock craved for, Sherlock tried unconventional method successfuly.

Also, John was insuferable in the tube. Sherlock was trying to do everything to save them from being blown up by the bomb and instead of having his support in that moment, he had to put up with imbecilic whining and ungrounded accussations (as if he himself set the bomb there). Maybe he scared John to punish his ungrateful friend a bit.

Vhanja wrote:

So, yes, I think he was the biggest arse to John that we've ever seen in this episode. (And makes up for all of it in TSoT, the entire episode is Sherlock putting John over his own feelings, it's heartwarming to see).

At the end of TEH (and in the rest of S3) it seems John was not worthy of Sherlock´s sacrifice. It´s significant he never said "thank you" for all those things Sherlock has done for him, althrough he was well aware of them and it was actually him who benefited from Sherlock actions the most.

December 15, 2014 8:58 am  #418

It's quite interesting that we can interpret the series so differently. The series, and the characters, are complicated. In my mind, it's not either/or. Sherlock is both incredibly brave, loyal and sacrifices a LOT for his friends. He is also selfish, blunt, cruel and childish. The one doesn't exclude the other. I personally think that is what makes him so interesting.

Also, saying the word "sorry" isn't in itself magic. It won't make two years of anger, grief and hurt disappear like you hit a switch. 

And how much reconciliation is there in a forced forgiveness?

I am 100% on John's side in this. 

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2014 9:03 am  #419

You mean John didn´t actually want to forgive Sherlock? The forgiveness was forced on him?

Is he a masochist then? Tagging along an individual who hurt him terribly is his favourite pasttime? Or he just does it to get on Sherlock nerves during cases and thus avenging himself?

December 15, 2014 9:10 am  #420

Yes, it was a forced forgiveness. I do believe John WANTS to forgive Sherlock (and by TSoT I think it's clear that he has). But such things should come naturally, not come as a forced statement because you think you're going to die. How much is a declaration of friendship and forgiveness worth if you have to metaphorically twist someone's arm to get it before they are ready to give it? 

I think that shows again how little Sherlock is able to understand and deal with emotions.

I don't think he is a masochist, but I do think he takes a lot of crap from Sherlock - more than he should. In S3 we see John standing up for himself a bit more instead of being stepped on all over in S1 and S2. (Both in TEH and the confrontation with Mary (and Sherlock) in Baker Street after the Mary revelation).

Team Hudders!

Board footera