BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2014 10:52 am  #381

Re: Violence at the reunion

The Chronicles confirm it was Moriarty who arranged the fake call.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 14, 2014 11:02 am  #382

Ah, I missed that, BB!  I'll have to get the book out again.  Wow - that is a huge departure!  Sherlock seemed to be certain that Mrs Hudson wasn't in danger, and be planning to meet Moriarty on the roof.   Unless he knew that Moriarty would arrange the fake call - or guessed once he heard it - which is very possible. 

I think it's clear that Sherlock would have needed John out of the way and on the ground for the planned-in-advance "suicide", though, so if Moriarty hadn't made the call, Sherlock would have had to have arranged something.  He couldn't have John up on the roof with them. 

December 14, 2014 11:20 am  #383

Sherlock knew what Moriarty would be doing and why. 

In the canon, Moriarty arranges a letter to get Watson out of the way. 

December 14, 2014 11:28 am  #384

Yes, that makes sense, Silverblaze.  Sherlock had to know.    I wonder if there was a Plan B if Moriarty didn't phone, of if Sherlock was absolutely sure that he would?  I suppose that Sherlock has to work so closely to Moriarty's agenda at this point, and Moriarty couldn't have had John on the roof during that conversation.   So Sherlock would have known that Moriarty would have to get John out of the way. 

December 14, 2014 11:42 am  #385

The deleted script has Sherlock saying to Moriarty: you were so obvious, you needed John out of the way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 14, 2014 11:47 am  #386

Deleted script? Where? Chronicles? 

December 14, 2014 12:02 pm  #387

Sherlock Chronicles, the essential book guide for fans.

December 14, 2014 2:33 pm  #388

besleybean wrote:

The deleted script has Sherlock saying to Moriarty: you were so obvious, you needed John out of the way.

I'll be d*****!

This is the first bit of background on TRF that is helping me get a sense of what was going on on the roof and that Sherlock might have actually been a step ahead of Moriarty!

I can't wait to get my hands on this book!

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 14, 2014 2:37 pm  #389

Liberty wrote:

I don't think John's a good actor (Martin is!) and I can believe that he would not be convincing if he knew the truth.   Things would have played out differently - he might have stayed at 221B and kept it ready for Sherlock - but I think his demeanour would be different - too obviously different.  
If Sherlock had got word to John, he'd not only have risked John's life, but the whole operation.    What was he meant to do?  Well, he does the right thing - but at great personal sacrifice. 

You basically reiterrated my thoughts. So I'll just repeat what I have to say about John, that it never occurred to him that Sherlock might have had a genuinely logical and understandable reason for his actions. Sherlock came back from the dead and John's reaction was '"You did this as a joke to hurt me. You are a bad person and I am going to hurt you for it." This is not the John I fell in love with in series 1 and 2. I expected John to say, "Sherlock, you really hurt me, but I know you must have had a reason for it. Tell me everything."

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

December 14, 2014 2:42 pm  #390

I understand John completely. Why not let John in on it? After the jump, the first grief and the funeral, I doubt there were anyone spying on John to see if he.... looks happy? I don't get it at all. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 3:13 pm  #391

I think the only part that could make sense to me, is the seemingly insolvable crimes being solved, all over the world and by a mystery character...
This could make people wonder and so start watching John.

December 14, 2014 3:16 pm  #392

Watching him for what? John would go about his daily life either way, the only difference being that he would've known Sherlock was alive. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 3:17 pm  #393

And looked happy...he hadn't been happy, because he thought Sherlock was dead.

December 14, 2014 3:22 pm  #394

It makes no sense to me. It's not like John would start dancing on his way to work in the morning. 

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 3:41 pm  #395

No but he has been looking depressed, still seeing his counsellor etc.

December 14, 2014 3:46 pm  #396

He could still do both those things. And even if he did stop seeing his counsellor, and even if he didn't look depressed (you won't necessarily see it on a person that they're depressed, it's fully possible to lead a normal life, smile to the neightbour and do some chitchat while being depressed), that didn't have to be a sign Sherlock wasn't dead.

So, no, I don't buy it I think it was inexusable to let John grieve for two years.

Last edited by Vhanja (December 14, 2014 3:46 pm)

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 3:46 pm  #397

True.

December 14, 2014 4:00 pm  #398

So we have the inexusable behaviour of letting John go through hell for two years. Then he is so caught up in his own bubble that he can't fathom why John wouldn't be happy to see him. Even though he lacks the social skills to understand that by himself, Mycroft do tell him this. And Sherlock dismisses it - because everything revolves around him. 

And then, seeing John's reactions, he starts feeling guilty. And feeling guilty is not a good feeling, so Sherlock wants to get rid of it. Getting John's forgivess will help him get rid of it. So he stages the worst kind of emotional blackmail to a man who has several times already experienced the trauma of nearly dying. Because getting rid of his own guilt and restore emotional equlibrum is for Sherlock much more important than the trauma he puts John through.

I think he should consider himself lucky getting away with a bloody nose and bruised lip.

Team Hudders!

December 14, 2014 4:56 pm  #399

Your analysis is virtually identical to that of Gatiss and Moffat on the commentary...

December 14, 2014 4:57 pm  #400

Good to hear.

Team Hudders!

Board footera