BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2015 9:23 pm  #21

Re: Episode titles in other languages

I blame it on Polish translators. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 6, 2015 9:25 pm  #22

Watch your words - I have dear friends in Poland 

(But it's true, they are among the most naughty people I've ever known.)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 6, 2015 10:24 pm  #23

Vhanja wrote:

LOL, this thread derailed to the gutter pretty fast. 

Number 1 rule of the internet.  Everything eventually gets dirty.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 6, 2015 10:43 pm  #24

Harriet wrote:

Swiss place, not German

(nickpicking mode off  )

Oh, I knew it was in Switzerland, I just meant it was a German-language name. Perhaps I would have been safer to say Swiss-German

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 8, 2015 9:35 am  #25

ukaunz wrote:

It's weird that the translators thought it was necessary to change the title of TRF - after all, it's not an English word, it's a German place name. They don't translate it for English-speakers, or it would be The Richard Brook Fall 

Well, they actually did not change it. Der Reichenbachfall is pretty much a literal translation of the original title, of course Reichenbach stays Reichenbach because it is already a German word (for a Swiss place) so they only had to translate the article the = der. Instead of Reichenbach Falls in two words it is one word Reichenbachfall in German and they chose singular Fall instead of plural Fälle but that's the only thing they changed, probably because it makes a nice wordplay. Fall in German also means case so you could read it both as the name of the waterfalls and the title of the case that Sherlock solved.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 6, 2016 7:03 pm  #26

bump

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 6, 2016 7:11 pm  #27

I just updated my list... 

TAB has gotten the title "Den Afskyelige Brud" in Denmark. 

I don't know what else it could be called... but it sounds a bit off to me... It sounds a lot more like 'The Horrible Bride'... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 6, 2016 7:15 pm  #28

Oh, we have a similar word in German! 

Board footera