BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2014 1:55 pm  #1

Emmy nominations for HLV

HLV received no less than 12 Emmy nominations. Congrats and keeping fingers crossed: 

Best Miniseries/Movie
Benedict Cumberbatch, Lead Actor
Martin Freeman, Best Supporting Actor
Best Writing (Steven Moffat)
Best Directing (Nick Hurran)
Best Cinematography
Best Casting
Best Editing
Best Costumes
Best Sound Editing
Best Sound Mixing
Best Musical Composition (David Arnold and Michael Price)

Last edited by SusiGo (July 10, 2014 2:01 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2014 1:59 pm  #2

Re: Emmy nominations for HLV

Fingers crossed, they totally deserve this award

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

July 10, 2014 2:14 pm  #3

OMG
OMG
OMG
Work has been so busy this morning I totally forgot these were being announced!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 10, 2014 2:17 pm  #4

Now I will try to be optimistic and hope Martin will not get two (he is nominated as leading actor as well and the same category as Benedict) and Benedict none. 

Here is Benedict'as reaction to the nomination:

“A fantastic early birthday present! Can’t wait to come and sweat on the red carpet, applaud everyone else winning. And then get drunk and dance! Hurray!”

Last edited by SusiGo (July 10, 2014 2:20 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 10, 2014 2:23 pm  #5

SusiGo wrote:

Now I will try to be optimistic and hope Martin will not get two (he is nominated as leading actor as well and the same category as Benedict) and Benedict none. 

Here is Benedict'as reaction to the nomination:

“A fantastic early birthday present! Can’t wait to come and sweat on the red carpet, applaud everyone else winning. And then get drunk and dance! Hurray!”

That's a very Ben response.

I just knew this was going to happen:

Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock
Chiwetel Ejiofor, Dancing on the Edge
Idris Elba, Luthor
Martin Freeman, Fargo
Mark Ruffalo, The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thornton, Fargo 

BC is up against Martin and Billy Bob for Fargo.  
Plus Martin is also nominated in the supporting role for Sherlock.

I was also a big fan of True Detective.  Mathew Macoughny and Woody Harrilson were both nominated in the same category for that.

I'd hate to have to vote on these.  So many fantastic performances.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 10, 2014 3:06 pm  #6

As much as I love Sherlock and Benedict, I think Billy Bob would deserve it more in this particular case.

July 10, 2014 3:35 pm  #7

Wow! Let' hope for success.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 10, 2014 3:41 pm  #8

This is going to be the same old story of how impossible it is to compare the work of actors who played completely different roles that just aren't comparable for so many reasons. I just read up on "Dancing on the Edge" f.e., and I just assume that Chiwetel's role is a complete contrast to Thornton's in "Fargo".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 10, 2014 4:46 pm  #9

Fingers crossed for "Sherlock", Benedict and Martin!
Billy Bob Thornton deserves an award, too. I recently watched "Fargo" and he and Martin were very good.

The ceremony is on 25th August so we wait again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

July 10, 2014 4:49 pm  #10

Yes, awards can never be really fair. I appreciate that the Golden Globes at least do drama and comedy separately. 

July 10, 2014 5:03 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, awards can never be really fair. I appreciate that the Golden Globes at least do drama and comedy separately. 

The Emmys also separate drama and comedy.

July 10, 2014 5:23 pm  #12

All in all it's a spectacular showing for Sherlock.  12 nominations in all with both Ben and Martin getting Acting nods.  I wonder if they will have fun with being in compitition?    You know Martin will take the piss about getting TWO nominations for himself.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 10, 2014 5:56 pm  #13

Benedict has said how delighted he is to be nominated - it's an early birthday present he said!

I'm personally delighted for everyone involved in the making of Sherlock and HLV. It is, in my opinion a masterpiece, and I hope they pick up at least some awards. Particularly benedict, Martin,David Arnold/Michael price and the cinematography team!

I'm clueing for looks

July 10, 2014 5:57 pm  #14

So well deserved. 

July 10, 2014 7:58 pm  #15

That is amazing news!! 12 nominations?? WOW! Very well deserved too!

Ben's response made me smile, just like we love him! 

When are the Emmy's on? I'm so out of touch with the world...

My fingers are crossed and I'm gushing with pride for the entire team! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 11, 2014 12:28 am  #16

I would love it if Benedict won!  Sometimes actors are rewarded not just for the particular role they're nominated for but the sum of their work in that role.  You know--an actor who's been nominated a few times but never won is finally acknowledged.  Taking all his performances as Sherlock into consideration, I'd say Benedict is overdue!    Nothing against the other actors (I haven't seen any of the other shows) but I think it's high time the main role/lead character in Sherlock wins something--without him the show would almost certainly be much less noteworthy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

July 11, 2014 12:41 am  #17

I hope they`ll catch them all !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-------> I am
SHER - LOCKED <-------

July 11, 2014 5:49 am  #18

I'd love to see Benedict win, too. I think he's been incredibly brave with the version of Sherlock he's given us; he could have chosen to play it safe and simply played him as a younger version of the other on screen Holmeses we've seen, but he brought something completely different to the role, even though it meant people didn't always get what he was doing ("a lot of people say, 'oh, all he does is run around shouting'" - BC)
I also think he's extremely unselfish in the part - a lot of his best acting in it, imo, is done very subtly and in the background, such as during the Baker Street scene in HLV.
So yes, I'd be absolutely delighted if he won, but I don't think this will happen - I think there are at least three others in the list of nominations that are more likely to get the award this year.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

July 11, 2014 11:49 am  #19

I know it's a cliche but I honestly believe the nominations are an honor in themselves.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 11, 2014 3:17 pm  #20

Swanpride wrote:

The last time they got thirteen nominations and won none....so I wouldn't be too excited yet.

Yeah, they're not going home with much if they go home with anything.

They're not winning any of the big ones.  The Normal Heart will win movie.  Mark Ruffalo or one of the Fargo boys will win Lead Actor.  Supporting Actor will go to Matt Bomer, though there is a tiny (very tiny) sliver of a chance that Martin could win in an upset.  Fargo will win Directing.  I expect The Normal Heart to win writing, I don't see the Emmys passing up a chance to award Larry Kramer, but if it doesn't go to him then that will be another win for Fargo.

They could do better in the tech categories, but I imagine Fargo and The Normal Heart will get most of the love there as well.  I expect Fargo to win Cinematography (especially since they have two nominations) and Editing (three nominations).  I don't see Sherlock winning casting when they only have two acting nominations (compared to The Normal Heart's 6, American Horror Story's 5, and Fargo's 4).  

So, yeah, slim pickings for Sherlock at the Emmys this year.  They could do well in the Sound categories.  They could take Original Dramatic Score.  I'd actually be really pleased if they did since that's an award they should have won twice by now.  I don't even know why they're nominated for their costumes.

Board footera