BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2014 10:52 am  #21

Re: This wedding is an extremely strange one!

The ring Mary is wearing looks much simpler and without gemstones to me. 

And another thing I found some time ago. Now we finally have the right thread for this (if not I put it over in the comprehensive JLG):

The floral arrangements at the wedding contain green carnations among other flowers. While I read that green carnations have been quite popular for about ten years there is another assocation: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Carnation

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 11:11 am  #22

Uhm. Susi. Wow. I'm... I'm sure this is just a coincidence. Definitely a coincidence. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 3, 2014 11:30 am  #23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_symbols

"In ancient Rome, as in 19th-century England, green indicated homosexual affiliations. Victorian men would often pin a green carnation on their lapel as popularized by author Oscar Wilde, who often wore one on his lapel."

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 3, 2014 11:36 am  #24

Quod erat demonstrandum. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2014 11:48 am  #25

Scientific research. I love it. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 3, 2014 11:54 am  #26

SolarSystem wrote:

Scientific research. I love it. 

Johnlock has taught me so much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 3, 2014 1:16 pm  #27

Harriet wrote:

So Mary says: We are not yet engaged, but intending to get ("once we...", -> future). We were interrupted the last time and didn't have another occasion yet.
Otherwise she would have said "now that we actually got engaged..."

Once can refer to the past. You know, once upon a time? Once we got engaged=after we got engaged, this happened.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 3, 2014 6:50 pm  #28

In Mary's words your version would be: Once, we actually got engaged, but now it's over.

Because then it was once, aka a single time quite a while ago.

Last edited by Harriet (June 3, 2014 6:52 pm)

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 3, 2014 7:20 pm  #29

The actual sentence reads: "Well, once we’ve actually got engaged."

IMO this leaves not doubt whatsoever that they have not become engaged yet. Especially as the sentence is followed by Mary stating that they were interrupted last time. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 3, 2014 7:29 pm)

June 3, 2014 7:43 pm  #30

Harriet wrote:

In Mary's words your version would be: Once, we actually got engaged, but now it's over.

Because then it was once, aka a single time quite a while ago.

OMG. Just OMG. It's a conjunction, meaning 'as soon as'. As in, "As soon as we got engaged, we were able to set a wedding date."

As for we or we've got engaged, I'm hearing we and the transcript supports that.

And have you considered the point of the gathering? Sherlock has provided champagne (as evidenced by the fact that he's opening and pouring it), so I highly doubt he's celebrating his own return as that's just not his style.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

June 3, 2014 7:48 pm  #31

I've been trying to tell you it's a conjunction 

June 3, 2014 7:56 pm  #32

SusiGo wrote:

The floral arrangements at the wedding contain green carnations among other flowers. While I read that green carnations have been quite popular for about ten years there is another assocation: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Carnation

Well observed, researched and deduced, Susi!  Worthy of Sherlock himself. That.Was. Amazing!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

June 3, 2014 8:02 pm  #33

maryagrawatson wrote:

OMG. Just OMG. It's a conjunction, meaning 'as soon as'. As in, "As soon as we got engaged, we were able to set a wedding date."

Or maybe as in: As soon as we get engaged, we'll be able to set a wedding date.

June 3, 2014 8:07 pm  #34

Once we have got actually resolved that issue, there are no more problems anyway.

June 3, 2014 8:30 pm  #35

For the sake of correctness. I always rely on Ariane DeVere's transcripts as do most people in the fandom and she has this:

MRS HUDSON: Oh! Spring wedding!
MARY: Yeah. Well, once we’ve actually got engaged.
JOHN: Yeah.
MARY (looking pointedly at Sherlock): We were interrupted last time.
JOHN: Yeah.
(Sherlock smiles at her.)
LESTRADE: Well, I can’t wait.
(He raises his glass in a toast.)

I think the engagement is happening only now, in this very moment. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 3, 2014 8:39 pm)

June 3, 2014 8:42 pm  #36

So at least we witness a delayed engagement.

June 3, 2014 8:51 pm  #37

A delayed and strange engagement... Mary is sitting on the sofa, John leaves the room together with Sherlock. That's what I call romantic!

June 3, 2014 8:53 pm  #38

Oh, yes. 
So we do not only a strange wedding, but also a strange engagement party. And a strange attempt at proposal as well. 
And there is a parallel to the wedding banquet where John and Sherlock leave Mary behind to solve a crime and save a life. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 3, 2014 8:57 pm)

June 4, 2014 4:47 am  #39

We also see Sherlock "walking down the aisle" twice. In 221B, when he's in his room and then walks towards John; and during his weeding speech, when he once again walks up to John, saying "It's always you, John Watson, you keep me right...".

June 4, 2014 6:28 am  #40

Ahem. Somehow this is turning into a Johnlock thread once again. Wonder why? 

(Just for the sake of honesty, KP: the green carnation thing was not my idea. I read about it on tumblr and had a closer look. Amazing what people still find in the episodes)

Last edited by SusiGo (June 4, 2014 6:31 am)

Board footera