BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 16, 2014 3:42 pm  #161

Re: Third Star

Thanks, I will give that a read! I really felt like there was some fantastic writing here! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 16, 2014 4:37 pm  #162

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

This film has made me feel like a bit of a brat to be honest. Most of my relatives have died of cancer the last 6 years. In the end I always had an excuse to leave the funerals early or not to show up at all... always stood in the back when doing hospital visits, sometimes having my mother sign my name on cards for flowers to be sent. I stopped listening when my family talked about who was sick with what and how they were doing... I've pretended like everything was perfect and just used my status as the young person in the family who was too busy living her own life to deal with something so 'grown up'... 

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Sometimes a bit of denial helps us along the way. It doesn't make you a brat (not even a little bit). Plenty of grown ups to that.

Last edited by belis (March 16, 2014 5:33 pm)

March 16, 2014 5:17 pm  #163

I agree with belis, Phantom. Age is only one factor among lots of others when it comes to dealing with illness and death. A lot of grown-ups have huge difficulties in dealing with death as well, and that's only natural, I suppose. Denial can also be a way to protect yourself from too much hurt and pain, and even if most people around you dealt with these situations in a seemingly more grown-up way, please don't think that you did behave badly or did something wrong. We are all different, and we deal differently with such situations. There's nothing wrong with that.
I think it's great though that the film made you think about these things again now.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 17, 2014 8:05 am  #164

Thanks, I just wish I had paid more attention... I haven't even counted how many we have lost and how many are sick right now... I've just pushed on wanting everything to be perfect.
But it breaks my heart when people mention things like how there's almost none of the people left who attended my Confirmation 10 years ago and then go on to look worried at me and say it's a bit too much for someone as young as me (I'm 24). I don't feel like I'm the one people should worry about. What about the wives and husbands, the children and grandchildren... people should worry about them.

I did catch myself thinking a few times that I was glad my grandparents had died before I was born; I guess that would have been too much for me... and that I never knew my father and his family as that would only add to the losses.

But I think from now on I will remember this film, and I will try to show that I do care. And another thing; I don't think I'll ever have a suicidal thought again in my life.
But yes, people deal in many different ways. I have seen that... and there is no right or wrong way to grieve... I suppose I just feel a bit ashamed is all.

I almost want to send the people behind this film a thank you letter! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (March 17, 2014 8:05 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 21, 2014 2:50 pm  #165

Very touching movie. It puts you into many thoughts about the way we live our lives.

The Game Is On_

April 15, 2014 7:14 pm  #166

Finally got round to watching this and I'm currently curled up in a comfort blanket wondering where to start to describe how I felt about it!
I have to say that I can get really affected by some Movies/TV shows if I find them too depressing or upsetting, and for that reason there are a couple of things Benedict has done that I know I'll probably never bring myself to watch, even though I admire the fact that he chooses such interesting and thought provoking roles.
But I felt somehow, that even though Third Star, ultimately, is tragic, I would be able to handle watching this.
And I was right; it's a sad tale - not just because of James' personal tragedy, but because of the way it focussed on four friends whose hopes and dreams had become watered down and lost in the mundane reality that life can sometimes become.
It didn't have that Hollywood gloss that can sometimes strip a Movie of any semblance of what's real and throw up red flags at every point where you're supposed to sob.
It didn't try to make a Saint of James, or Angels of his friends; in fact sometimes some of them were downright nasty! James included!
But mostly, they were REAL - honest, flawed, and struggling to make the best of a bad situation - finally going above and beyond for each other.
There were a couple of scenes that were hard to watch, but not, imo, unbearably so.
In fact I thought the whole thing was filmed with great sensitivity.
The cast were superb - I forgot I was watching Actors and totally bought what they were selling me.
Benedict portrayed James incredibly realistically - looking almost emaciated for the part and acting in that beautifully understated way he has in roles like these; subtle but completely convincing.
It's a Movie I'll definitely be watching again...it was sad, of course, but the message of love - real love - within it made it worth seeing
Last edited by Tinks (Today 8:11 pm)

Last edited by Tinks (April 15, 2014 7:30 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

April 15, 2014 7:25 pm  #167

Aww Tinks I'm so glad you came away from the film feeling as I did. It was so well acted that it felt so real to me, and I think that's why it resonated with me so much.

But I came away feeling inspired to make the best of life and of friendship and of opportunity. James may be fictional, but through Benedict, he inspired me to be a better person.

Sounds a bit corny but that's just how it affected me.

I'm clueing for looks

April 15, 2014 7:31 pm  #168

I am seconding everything you said. It felt like a real film with actual people... like you said none of them were perfect. The film is amazinly written! 

I will say it has changed my outlook on life... It's made me not only want to live, but be alive! It has a beautiful message for anyone no matter what they're going through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

April 15, 2014 7:34 pm  #169

I think "resonating" perfectly describes it, Clare
As soon as it finished, I couldn't wait to put some of thoughts about it into words, and I'm still sitting here, digesting what I've seen, and like you, Phantom, resolving to make changes in my own life!
I think, this will be one of my all time favourite roles of Benedict's!

Last edited by Tinks (April 15, 2014 7:36 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 15, 2014 7:45 pm  #170

I love this movie. It makes me a bit sad becouse it makes me thing about  the people I met when I was working in palliative care and who are now long gone. At the same time I think it portrays something that we call 'a good death' and that we strive to achieve. James had remained in control of what was happening to him, he was surrounded by friends, his symptoms relatively well controlled right to the end, died in a place of his choosing. In a wierd way I do see it as a happy ending.

April 15, 2014 8:09 pm  #171

belis, there was so much I took from this film that I could write an essay on it!
But yes, I also found some positivity in the fact that in the end, James took control and didn't let the disease do it's worst in terms of ravaging his body.
And also, for all their flaws, his friends were able to do something so utterly selfless for him - the ultimate testament of their love for him.

Last edited by Tinks (April 15, 2014 8:10 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

April 15, 2014 9:11 pm  #172

Exactly that Tinks.

I did look at the four of them and think how flawed they all were as individuals but as a collective, although they fought, they were an amazing team.

I wonder about the three of them without James around. I wonder about Davy, and how he'll feel lost. About Miles and his relationship with James's sister, about whether Bill will be brave enough.

And James, in the cosmos, in the dust motes, constantly around them still.

I'm clueing for looks

April 15, 2014 9:14 pm  #173

The fate of us all and it is so beautiful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 15, 2014 11:57 pm  #174

Should not have come in this thread while listening to that Sad Captain song..

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 1:12 am  #175

Initially, I found the movie mildy interesting - with beautiful landscapes. But the ending - wow - I didn't see that one coming. I was totally choked up over it.  It was haunting.  I don't think I could watch this movie again, but it will stay with me for a long time.

April 17, 2014 3:25 pm  #176

Ok, that song that a lot of us have been listening to this week, My Sad Captains by Elbow,.
Well, the more I listened to it the more it made me think of Third Star.
And the more I thought of Third Star the more this poem started banging around in my head.
I've been muddling with it for a bit but I think it's mostly finished now.
Be kind.

PASSAGE

I can see my way now
Across the water
I feel it written on my bones
Fierce tides promise to take me
Past the pain
If there is strength enough to answer

The threshold must be crossed alone I know
But still
Will you swim with me to the door my friend

The journey is but a moment and
although sure of my leaving
I hesitate at the end
Not eager

You look at me with sunrise
In your eyes
Warm
And dappled with goodbye

Letting go of breath
Of earth
Not quite so hard now
With you besides me at the end

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 17, 2014 3:26 pm  #177

Sob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 17, 2014 3:36 pm  #178

'The threshold must be crossed alone I know
But still
Will you swim with me to the door my friend'

This verse realy resonates with the final scene.

April 17, 2014 3:39 pm  #179

Aw.

April 17, 2014 3:59 pm  #180

Wow Tonnaree. That's just gorgeous.

I feel inspired to draw James now....

I'm clueing for looks

Board footera