BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2014 5:42 am  #21

Re: Richard III

asyouwish wrote:

miriel68 wrote:

Also, MF has almost no theatrical record, or am I wrong?

You're very wrong.  Martin has done loads of theatre.  I've seen him seven times, and those are just the shows I was able to travel to the UK to see.

Right he's been in several plays these past few years, also he started out doing youth theatre. So I would say he is very much at home on stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

April 8, 2014 6:07 am  #22

Unfortunatly, my London trip will be much earlier than July, so I desperatly hope they'll show the play in cinemas. I am sure, Martin will be great in it. It will be thrilling to see him in a part where he is not the nice guy, but mean and manipulative. I have no doubts about his abbilities as an actor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

April 8, 2014 10:12 am  #23

I have been looking for his plays and I found information that he has been in 14 productions, but I only found more information about one - a comedy Clybourne Park in 2010 at the Royal Court. It seems he was even nominanted for Evening Standard Award for it (together with BC for After the Dance, lol). I wasn't able to find out anything else. Some help from other members?

April 9, 2014 2:08 pm  #24

I think Martin will be great in the role. And it is very good for an actor to be cast against his usual type of roles - it´s a bigger challenge and it can show aspect of his acting you don´t usually see. It is also much more interesting to watch somebody who don´t look villainous at all manifesting those dark depths of human character then to watch stereotypical villain acting like a villain.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 9, 2014 2:11 pm  #25

We should not forget that Richard's role has comic aspects as well. Benedict called it even funny. So the actors will both have to find the right mixture of comedy, villainy, and tragedy. I am sure that their approaches will be very different which is quite exciting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 9, 2014 2:25 pm  #26

Yes, I am really looking forward to see them both in the role.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 28, 2014 9:14 pm  #27

Erm, speaking about Richard III, does anyone plan to go...? I'm going with two friends of mine, Sherlockians and admirers of Martin Freeman (obviously), I think it would be a good idea to meet up? I'm going on the evening performance of the 15th July.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

June 1, 2014 6:29 pm  #28

I would actually love love love to go, maybe septembre. I have this feeling that Martin is amazing on stage. Hubby wants to go, too.

Last edited by mrshouse (June 1, 2014 6:29 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 11, 2014 9:50 am  #29

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 11, 2014 10:41 am  #30

Very cute, but nothing like a villain, IMO! 

June 11, 2014 10:47 am  #31

Most villains don´t look the part - they just do some nasty business.

June 11, 2014 10:53 am  #32

I agree, nakahara. Khan looked hot but not like a villain per se.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 11, 2014 1:05 pm  #33

Well, Khan was not exactly a villain, lol, at least not in my eyes. Seriously, though, he did look menacing. Martin looks... cute. Of course, in the pic he is not in character. In any case I am looking forward to seeing him live.

June 27, 2014 8:15 pm  #34

This is great... every single one of the guys has a beard. Which somehow is to be expected, but I couldn't help but notice it.

http://video.xin.msn.com/watch/video/exclusive-featurette-martin-freeman-talks-richard-iii/7nps2kun

June 28, 2014 11:05 am  #35

Thanks for the video!! I´m soooo excited to see this production and all theses actors talking about it makes me even more looking forward to it. It´s probably rather hard to understand for a non native speaker, but we already got a copy of the play in german and english and will read in both languages over the summer.
 And Martin looks really good with the beard, I hope he keeps it even when the play is over.

June 28, 2014 11:39 am  #36

Germansherlockfan wrote:

Thanks for the video!! I´m soooo excited to see this production and all theses actors talking about it makes me even more looking forward to it. It´s probably rather hard to understand for a non native speaker, but we already got a copy of the play in german and english and will read in both languages over the summer.
 And Martin looks really good with the beard, I hope he keeps it even when the play is over.

Sorry.  He can't.  Sherlock likes his doctors clean shaven.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 28, 2014 11:59 am  #37

I know, I Know, but I guess it will be a very long time until Martin is becoming this special doctor again, so maybe he can keep the beard until then!

June 29, 2014 3:26 am  #38

I know... I love that pic!    Here he is probably at the same moment, from someone on set.  Martin usually 'rocks it' indeed....   

SolarSystem wrote:

This is great... every single one of the guys has a beard. Which somehow is to be expected, but I couldn't help but notice it.  

After noticing the first couple guys, I couldn't help but laugh as each other one showed up.  BEARDS! 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 29, 2014 9:01 am  #39

Russell wrote:

After noticing the first couple guys, I couldn't help but laugh as each other one showed up. BEARDS!

Yes, at one point I just had a huge smile on my face. And all the beards look a little different... a study in beards is in order.

June 29, 2014 9:54 am  #40

For anybody who can get BBC iplayer, Martin was on thr Andrew Marr show this morning.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera