BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2014 6:31 pm  #141

Re: John Watson in S4

She possibly said it in her vows.
The series is called Sherlock, it's a detective show.
It's about Sherlock and John's friendship.
It's not about John and Mary.
Look, maybe you people are brilliantly pickig up clues I have totally missed, I don't know.
But usually the clues are fairly obvious:  'Jim', then being revealed as Moriarty etc.
There are far more obvious clues about Mary...
Canonically she was the love of John's life.
Time will tell, we will see...
But I don't see the writers going down the route of: well John was never really in love with her anyway. Yes I can see that more may be revealed about Mary,.
I don't even know if Mary will be in series 4, but I am looking forward to seeing how this pans out...
Why would John marry somebody he didn't love?

Last edited by besleybean (July 19, 2014 6:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 19, 2014 6:43 pm  #142

I never said that John does not love Mary. But I doubt that she loves him (at least in the sense of a selfless love in which you cherish the other's wellbeing and maybe even put it before your own). He says to Sherlock that he loves her. That is enough for me. But from Mary we do not even get this. It would have been so easy to make her say it to John only once or to Sherlock or anyone else. But they chose not to. Therefore the only relationship in which love is mutually stated in words in the script is the one between Sherlock and John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 19, 2014 6:46 pm  #143

My gut feeling is this is over analysis.
But we'll see, I have said all along Mary may yet turn out to be a plant...
Would be a negative female character again...

Last edited by besleybean (July 19, 2014 6:47 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 19, 2014 6:51 pm  #144

Mouse (and whom it concerns ), I have written an answer to your post with quotes and all. But it would have been off topic here, so I've posted it in the "Johnlock - the official debate" thread. I really would like you to take a look at it and keep up the debate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 19, 2014 7:02 pm  #145

As for John in S4, I think they really need to move his character forward. He has been through so much before and during the show, and I think that there is a limit of how much more that character can take without breaking or becoming implausible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 19, 2014 8:23 pm  #146

Mouse wrote:

We never hear Mary say the words, "I love you," to John. Do all your friends who are couples say "I love you" in front of you? You may be right, but, on the flip side, we rarely see John and Mary alone in intimate situations, and we have seen Mary's desperate panic when John was in danger, the fact that she married him, the fact that she cried when he told her he was coming home, her heartfelt, "God, yes," when John asked her if the name Mary Watson was good enough for her...I could go on.

The important thing to keep in mind is that this is not real life, but that the writers chose very carefully what to show and what not. I like to believe that in a high quality show like Sherlock, there are no coincidences. Every scene, every sentence is well placed. And so is the absence of sentences. The writers surely left out the love declaration on purpose. Interpreting WHY they left it out is up to us.

How many options on why are there really?

July 19, 2014 8:30 pm  #147

Because it's not imprtant to us. it only matters to John and Mary.
How much do they newd to show us?
We didn't see the wedding either, but we know they are married!

Last edited by besleybean (July 19, 2014 8:30 pm)

July 19, 2014 9:23 pm  #148

Like Schmiezi already said, they show us everything that they want/need us to see. They took quite a lot of time to show us how Sherlock feels about John in an episode about the wedding of John and Mary. And even if the show is not about John and Mary but about Sherlock and John, it wouldn't have hurt anyone to show us some affection between John and Mary if they had wanted us to see that. To be honest, I saw much more chemistry and emotion between John and Sarah than I did see between John and Mary - but that's probably just me.
It remains to be seen why John seemingly did forgive Mary in HLV. I'm still not convinced he really did. I heard words, words, words coming from John in that christmas scene with Mary, but I didn't feel it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 31, 2015 3:30 pm  #149

Schmiezi wrote:

As for John in S4, I think they really need to move his character forward. He has been through so much before and during the show, and I think that there is a limit of how much more that character can take without breaking or becoming implausible.

I absolutely agree.

I secretly hope that during the time period between Mary's secret past life being revealed and Christmas that John did move back into Baker St. and the two of them together came up with a plan to deal with those secrets. BUT...you know....fantasies. I would be sad to see another Holmes brothers collaboration with John left unknowingly in the dark and in danger.

I can also really see, and hope for, a tragic scene with John taking a bullet for Sherlock. There was SO MUCH emphasis on "John saving your(my) life" in The Sign of Three. Which is connected to His Last Vow and the thought of John in danger bringing him back...but....I really want to see the faithful Watson risking his life for Sherlock like we saw in The Great Game! 

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

August 31, 2015 5:42 pm  #150

I want John to shoot Mary.  And I don't say this as a joke or just because I'm a johnlocker or because I "hate" the character. 

I honestly think the most exciting arch for John and Mary is for Mary to turn out to be a true villian and for John to have to shoot her to save Sherlock or something.  We've seen John angry and confused, now I want to see him filled with a rightous rage.

In no way do I want to see John heartbroken again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 31, 2015 6:12 pm  #151

That would be pretty terrible, as in ripping out my heart painful.  And yeah, I would agree with Swanpride that that would make John heartbroken.  That would be awful, so while you say you don't want John to be heartbroken again, you're kind of also saying that it has to happen one more time before it stops.  
I would agree that that would be pretty exciting, but it would also be quite painful, I think.

Clueing for looks.

August 31, 2015 6:26 pm  #152

I want Mary to be bad enough that he might be heartbroken for 2 seconds but will be filled with wrath when Sherlock is threatened.

There are different kinds of heartbreak.

And truth be told, in my opinion John may already be working up to this.  I think that it is a very real possibility that he and Sherlock are already plotting to nuturalize her at the end of HLV.

Last edited by tonnaree (August 31, 2015 6:28 pm)

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 31, 2015 6:28 pm  #153

I only want two things concerning John. No more heartbreak, and for him to move back to Baker Street. I do miss the domestic John/Sherlock moments. And I would like less use of weapons and more use of brain, it’s the new sexy.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 31, 2015 6:41 pm  #154

Lola Red wrote:

I only want two things concerning John. No more heartbreak, and for him to move back to Baker Street. I do miss the domestic John/Sherlock moments. And I would like less use of weapons and more use of brain, it’s the new sexy.

I understand your feelings.  I think the majority of people do.  In order for John to move back to Baker Street something has to happen to Mary.  I want this to happen in an exciting and twisty way.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 31, 2015 7:05 pm  #155

I'd rather have John shoot Mary, than have Sherlock be in any way responsible for her death. 

Idon't want another season (or two) of John blaming Sherlock and distancing himself--or swearing off the freindship entirely till season 5! 

Yeah, John might be sad-- but, I'd rather Sherlock be able to be a support for him, rather than being the scapegoat. Again. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 31, 2015 10:57 pm)

August 31, 2015 7:08 pm  #156

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'd rather have John shoot Sherlock, than have Sherlock be in any way responsible for her death. 

Idon't want another season (or two) of John blaming Sherlock and distancing himself--or swearing off the freindship entirely till season 5! 

Yeah, John might be sad-- but, I'd rather Sherlock be able to be a support for him, rather than being the scapegoat. Again. 

In my head I can see the scenario going in such a way that John does not blame Sherlock for Mary's death.  One of the things I mean by wanting to see Mary revealed as a True Villian.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 31, 2015 7:10 pm  #157

tonnaree wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I'd rather have John shoot Sherlock, than have Sherlock be in any way responsible for her death. 

In my head I can see the scenario going in such a way that John does not blame Sherlock for Mary's death.  One of the things I mean by wanting to see Mary revealed as a True Villian.

Totally agree. 

August 31, 2015 7:18 pm  #158

I definitely agree that John shooting Mary would be absolutely thrilling! I'm fine with her being pure evil or her truely trying to be good. But either way...her and the baby simply must go. The show could not continue if they survive the next series. It would become less about Sherlock and would tank the show. I think it would be humorous for Sherlock in attempt to be 'human' and cheer John up after their deaths to point out getting (or surprising John with) a bulldog puppy. Just to poke fun at the "bull pup" reference, though I do believe it was meant to descripe either his temperment or a weapon not a dog. Of course John would refuse...but it would be cute and I would love it!

BRAINY IS THE NEW SEXY

August 31, 2015 8:15 pm  #159

Just thinking about the potential for heartbroken John, if he shoots Mary--- the thing is, didn't he already have his heart broken by her doing the following: Shooting (and very nearly killing Sherlock), lying to John from day 1 about who she was, etc, etc....

August 31, 2015 8:23 pm  #160

I still hope Mary just escapes + her daughter survives. Would hate to see John too heartbroken.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera