BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2014 9:42 pm  #1621

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

That is the beauty of "Sherlock". No black-and-white characters. Most of them are flawed in one way or the other (as most humans are). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2014 1:05 am  #1622

I watch the John in HLV's tarmac scene and he is devestated.  How can people watch the same thing and think him cold and unfeeling?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 21, 2014 8:28 am  #1623

tonnaree, I guess we all come from different kinds of places, so it's only natural to perceive such things in different kinds of ways. But I don't get it, either. When I saw it for the first time, I didn't really know what to make of it, but now... like John said it himself in TEH, these things are difficult for him. And you can see that very clearly in that scene.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 21, 2014 9:56 am  #1624

Not sure if it belongs here. I always wondered a bit about the knocker thing in HLV. Now look at this:

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/89433142019/what-kills-me-isnt-just-that-sherlock-is-used-to

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 21, 2014 9:59 am  #1625

I didn't even realize up until now that John is the one who's doing this...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

June 21, 2014 10:01 am  #1626

Neither did I. It is a bit sad, isn't it? 

June 21, 2014 10:04 am  #1627

Hm, I'm actually a bit confused here, because I don't think we've seen this before in S1 or S2, right? So, did John always do this? If so, why? I'm a bit at a loss.

June 21, 2014 10:09 am  #1628

I think this is the scene in HLV when they leave the flat after Magnussen's visit. For me it is a sort of belated explanation for the scene before when Sherlock straightens the knocker. When John leaves it crooked now we can assume that it has always been a habit. 

June 21, 2014 10:14 am  #1629

This is interesting.
I always took that scene in HLV as a nice joke:

S:"He straightens the knocker. He always corrects it. He doesn't even know he's doing it."

J:"Why did you do that?"
S."Do what?"
J:......"Nothing."

So Sherlock is the one who crooks the knocker - unconsciously.

But now when I read this link......................
I also never noticed John did it.

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 21, 2014 10:32 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 21, 2014 10:16 am  #1630

But in that scene Sherlock is the one who crooks it again because Mycroft set it straight...? So Sherlock is used to it being crooked, because John leaves it that way?

June 21, 2014 10:36 am  #1631

Yes, sorry, I mixed it (again). I just corrected my comment. Sherlock crooks the knocker.
But the question from John "Why did you do that?" And the answer: "What?" "Nothing." was what I understood as a joke all the time.
As if Sherlock doesn't know that he does it, either.

But now.....
John asks Sherlock: "Why did you do that?" (Crooking the knocker.)
Because John did it all the time. Without knowing that he did it. And Sherlock wants it to stay that way. That's how I understand that link from Susi. And yes, it is a bit sad. 
(Does anybody still understand me?  )

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 21, 2014 10:40 am)

June 21, 2014 10:40 am  #1632

Yes, I do. Sherlock does not like the knocker straightened (reason 1: He does not like his brother to meddle. Reason 2: He does not like to be reminded that John is not there anymore). 

And Sherlock does not even realise he straightens it because it has become so familiar to him. 

June 21, 2014 10:44 am  #1633

SusiGo wrote:

And Sherlock does not even realise he straightens it because it has become so familiar to him. 

He crooks it. 

Right. Still I didn't have a clue that this has to do with John.
Maybe have a look at the other episodes, if he does it?
(Although in HLV John crooks it to the other side, but I guess that's just peanuts.  )

June 21, 2014 11:04 am  #1634

Sorry, now I am getting confused, too. 

Of course he crooks it because John leaves it crooked. 

Crooking is crooking, no matter what direction. 

June 21, 2014 11:05 am  #1635

Oh Sherlock, my sweet sad baby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 21, 2014 11:07 am  #1636

June 21, 2014 11:08 am  #1637

Oh my, how I love it! Again another tiny little "meaningless" scene..... and suddenly you recognise.......
What a show! 

June 21, 2014 11:13 am  #1638

At one point of your discussion I was like "What the hell are you talking about?!", but finally I understand. The knocker needs to be crooked because John always crooks it, and when John isn't there and someone straightens it, Sherlock has to crook it again so he can imagine that John is still there. Right? Okay. I'm deaded now. This is so...

June 21, 2014 11:14 am  #1639

Yes. Hankie anyone? 

June 21, 2014 11:19 am  #1640

Yes, please. Ten.

Board footera