BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2017 6:55 pm  #7001

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

Thank you for your additions. 

I never thought about why Sherlock does not sit down. Excellent observation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2017 7:02 pm  #7002

I never thought to take a closer look at his outfits (in the briefcase snippet in particular) before you pointed that out.
It's amazing how delicately they tell the story. I can imagine Moftiss going WTF at all the hate mail they must have been getting from johnlockers. Like, Haven't we given you everything you wished for???

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 30, 2017 10:15 pm  #7003

John's outfit in the last takes may be forced by the way they chose to shoot them. The scene's made with the same camera and in one take, and the actors keep moving around the flat as the camera goes round. Then I think they chose several layers of clothes (coat, cardigan, shirt) for John to be able to keep taking them off gradually as the scene evolves, so the viewers can think events happen in different days/hours...

But I agree this is very cute and I positively think that John and Rosie moved to 221B.

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 30, 2017 10:16 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 30, 2017 10:24 pm  #7004

If they had time to put (and subsequently remove) a Viking there, they'd have taken time for John to change if necessary But it wasn't necessary, that's the point He is there because this is where he belongs.

-----

January 30, 2017 10:26 pm  #7005

ewige wrote:

If they had time to put (and subsequently remove) a Viking there, they'd have taken time for John to change if necessary But it wasn't necessary, that's the point He is there because this is where he belongs.

Yes, I totally agree. 
I was just trying to explain why those clothes, not justifying that John isn't living in Baker Street. He is! 

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 31, 2017 3:58 am  #7006

I love your observations, Susi and ewige! :-) At the very end, John anD Rosie are where they belong. <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 31, 2017 11:53 am  #7007

Here is a wonderful post appreciating Moffat (and Gatiss) as a writer and drawing from the Doctor Who experience. Loved it. 

http://moffat-rocks.tumblr.com/post/156372906079/a-word-to-the-sherlock-fandom

Last edited by SusiGo (January 31, 2017 11:53 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 31, 2017 12:23 pm  #7008

SusiGo wrote:

Here is a wonderful post appreciating Moffat (and Gatiss) as a writer and drawing from the Doctor Who experience. Loved it. 

http://moffat-rocks.tumblr.com/post/156372906079/a-word-to-the-sherlock-fandom

Oh that's great! Thank you for posting it here. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 31, 2017 1:37 pm  #7009

Thank you so much for the link, Susi! I've been really sad about the fandom's reactions and such posts make me believe in people again.

Funnily enough, I care about good writing more than about any representation on TV *ducks and runs*

But I've even come to terms with Mary's unrealistic aquarium jump (it was Sherlock's POV, people!) so nobody can convince me anymore that s4 was full of bad writing.

Also, "Sherlock is a clueless puppy"! :D

-----

January 31, 2017 3:04 pm  #7010

January 31, 2017 8:46 pm  #7011

Hi guys!
A bit (or a lot) OT, but I just joined the forum and this thread was my priority.
I started watching Sherlock in 2014 and at first Johnlock theories seemed extremely weird an far fetched to me. But I started reading more careful analysis and well, today I just don't understand how some people disagree with Johnlock. It's almost ridiculously clear 
That said, I wanted to thank everyone who has put effort and love in Johnlock, because you helped me discover and enjoy one of the greatest love stories ever told
I feel pretty satisfied with S4 ending regarding Johnlock, and actually think the subtlety keeps the magic (and the puzzle) alive. Because that's how I perceive this: as a huge emotional puzzle that is there if you want to observe.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi  Back to S4 discussion and Parentlock goodies

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

January 31, 2017 8:54 pm  #7012

Welcome and great to have you here. 

January 31, 2017 9:18 pm  #7013

Hi again! In the into thread I was like, Ooh, nice signature!

-----

January 31, 2017 9:27 pm  #7014

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 31, 2017 10:08 pm  #7015

That's hilarious  Love the Cluedo rounds.

Last edited by Elemental (January 31, 2017 10:09 pm)

"It is what it is"
"You see, but you do not observe"

"I shall die upon a cloud of Johnlock fluff and have my body launched into the sun". - LadyTuesday

January 31, 2017 10:14 pm  #7016

It's really good! Glad the mysterious person behind the twitter account stays in character so nicely!

-----

February 3, 2017 7:42 pm  #7017

http://three-patch.com/2017/02/01/episode-60

Love the picture and the crazy discussion of all the ships post S4
Dominatrix Lady Smallwood

-----

February 3, 2017 11:57 pm  #7018

Those tweets are brilliant! 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

February 5, 2017 7:49 pm  #7019

Elemental wrote something, almost a week ago, and I wanted to answer, But this was a hectic week, and I did not have enough time for it. So I am writing now.

Elemental wrote, the Idea of Johnlock seemed to her "extremely weird and far fetched" at first sight, and now, after further discussion about it, "it's almost ridiculously clear."

It was a bit different for me. For me, the idea was not "far fetched", but, strictly speaking, it existed long before the series was made. For me it was in the original stories of ACD. It seemed to me that it was perceptible, by the whole situation. Of course it was never talked about. That would have been unthinkable at the time when the original stories were written. And when I learned about the new "Sherlock" series for the first time, and that this series would play in the 21th century, my first thought was another (I was curious about the encounter of Sherlock Holmes with computer technology), but I also thought whether they would make the love story more clear which could not be shown in 19th century.

At first it became no love story, seemingly. Of course there were allusions that everybody seemed to suspect it (and that was quite funny), and there were a lot of nonverbal hints. But it didn't become a "real" love story. And I was a bit disappointed, because I thought it was an unused chance. But meanwhile I think a bit different about it.

I am glad that it is not a "real" love story from the beginning, because that would have destroyed the love story. That sounds a bit crazy, I know. Therefore it has to be explained. Imagine it would have been a quite normal love story from the beginning. It would have been a sensation, of course, and some people would have cheered, and some people would have found it terrible. People would have talked about nothing else. Nobody would have been interested in the development of the characters. And it is just this development which makes the story so exciting: the slow development of these two characters into the characters ACD described. Meanwhile they have arrived there, I think.

We see the development of these two characters, not everyone for himself, but in connection, and it is a development towards each other. We see the growing of an extremely close and meaningful relationship. Of course it is a love story, and it is really great. But it is not (or not mainly) about a sexual relationship. It can be (or become) a sexual relationship, too, and I would like to see it. But that is not the "heart" of the story. The "heart" is the wonderfully slow told story, how between two people who are absolutely not the type for such a thing (if you consider their past), a very close and intimate relationship develops. And that's really beautiful.

February 5, 2017 7:57 pm  #7020

It's a beautiful post, athameg.
The development of the characters is what got me hooked, too. The slow burn romance is just the consequence of this development for me.

Last edited by ewige (February 5, 2017 7:57 pm)

-----

Board footera