BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2016 8:08 pm  #5741

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

John really looks like he's "moved on".
Not.

And I'm convinced that his violent reaction was partly due to his frustration at Sherlock coming a little bit too late (that sounded like...Oh, nevermind.).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

February 1, 2016 5:05 am  #5742

You don't have to post it over at the debate. They will only tell you that John goes back to Baker Street because they were such close friends, and that he looks somber because he loves Mary that much (ahem, sure), and then they'll ignore the story arc and just don't see it.

Did I miss something?

Last edited by Schmiezi (February 1, 2016 5:13 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 1, 2016 7:18 am  #5743

No Schmeizi, you're exactly right... what bothers me is that nonlockers will ignore professionals who write for a living, professionals who do lighting, editing, music, who say there's definately something odd going on with the way the show is produced, and which tells us something different to what the text is telling us.

Nothing in this show happens by accident... it's a grand puzzle. I just think if they were showing platonic friendship and a stable relationship with Mary to stop us shipping the boys they went about it in a peculiar way... having Sherlock shot and nearly die... that's hardly endearing us to Mary. And the tropes which everyone point out meaning that there is a romantic subtext haven't been applied to John and Mary (though some say they can see them I have no idea how) which seems ridiculously odd.

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 1, 2016 8:00 am  #5744

Yes to all that. I still wonder how some people do not see things that are blatantly obvious:

John at the beginning of TEH - in a relationship with Mary, plans to propose, is moving on, has a job and a home. But look at him. He looks so much worse than he did at the end of TRF. This is a man who has NOT moved on, who is broken and sad. 

And then John at the end of TEH - we all know the moment during the little engagement party when he looking at Sherlock coming out of his room. The sheer happiness, his whole face lighting up. Not for the woman sitting behind him who he is going to marry but for Sherlock. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 1, 2016 8:01 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2016 8:14 am  #5745

Exactly. This meta by deducing sherlock is relevant to the champagne, as it's actions around that point in the speech.

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/78976120000/wedding-rings-and-intermittent-tremors

Last edited by Little Weed (February 1, 2016 9:29 am)

---------------

February 1, 2016 8:22 am  #5746

Very good. The breaking glass in this very moment is highly symbolic. Interesting enough there are various superstitions about breaking glass - it can be taken as a good omen (e.g. in Germany) but also as a bad omen which may even signal a forthcoming death. But leaving superstition aside, it is the glass meant to toast the Watson marriage - and we all know how that went. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 1, 2016 1:10 pm  #5747

Have you ever noticed how many non-lockers in the fandom say "I would love to see John and Sherlock in a real romance, I just don't think it will ever happen on the show."

I don't believe them. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 1, 2016 1:57 pm  #5748

Yes tonaree and it drives me bonkers. It's that whole heteronormative lense thing we've been doing to death on the debate thread... that somehow because they've never said they're gay/bi/otherqueerlabelsapply they must be straight...

OT/ I used to get this all the time... I ring somewhere to pay a bill... I say my partner is gonna pay that I'll pass you over... and she gets "Hello can you pass me to you partner now..." Happens much less now we're married and I say my wife... if they're not listening attentively enough they probably shouldn't be working in a call centre.

---------------

February 1, 2016 2:38 pm  #5749

It annoys me too... besides there's more to this world than just gay or straight. 

And Little Weed, that must be so very annoying for you! I've never been in a samesex relation long enough to experience it but I think I can imagine how it must feel. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 1, 2016 3:10 pm  #5750

The best male friend I ever had was gay and was with the same partner for years.  Sometimes he would get sales calls that actually said "May I speak to the lady of the house."   My friend would always reply "Speaking"! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 1, 2016 3:14 pm  #5751

tonnaree wrote:

The best male friend I ever had was gay and was with the same partner for years.  Sometimes he would get sales calls that actually said "May I speak to the lady of the house."   My friend would always reply "Speaking"! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 1, 2016 3:28 pm  #5752

Little Weed wrote:

Exactly. This meta by deducing sherlock is relevant to the champagne, as it's actions around that point in the speech.

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/78976120000/wedding-rings-and-intermittent-tremors

I find that meta highly clever, and I agree wholeheartedly with what it says.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

February 1, 2016 3:49 pm  #5753

It's that hand tremor of John's which is so very telling... It doesn't happen when he's in the thick of the action and yet... he's centre of attention and someone is doing a speech which is essentially all about him and he's ticcing?! Now?

---------------

February 1, 2016 5:51 pm  #5754

I'm trying to get this very common trope that happened in A study in Pink added to the wiki:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/discussion.php?id=ocqdyvgrjh4ad34t6sifkl3b
But since it's too common I can't think of anymore examples because the line doesn't really make an impression and I don't have a lot of DVDs to quickly check if it happens.
Do you have any examples, from any kind of work of fiction? The more the examples, the easier to get it voted positively.

I would also like to eventually make a page for "Mistaken for Kiss", like John closed his eyes saying whiuqwhduiqh when sherlock took his head in the dark in TBB, because I'm pretty sure I've seen people thinking they were going to be kissed because they misunderstood the situation quite a lot, especially when I was younger, maybe in anime, but I can't think of any examples now. I need to have 3 examples at the very least to start a discussion on whether it is a trope and many more to convince everybody that it is.

February 1, 2016 10:18 pm  #5755

When Moffat decided that since people didn't realize characters where bi with regular text, he would have used neon signs.

February 1, 2016 10:23 pm  #5756

To be fair Clara is constantly banging on about Jane Austin...

---------------

February 1, 2016 10:26 pm  #5757

But they were actually not shown as bi. Clara is shown dating a man and being attracted to the doctor. Jane Austen is an historical figure so we can't suppose she was anything other than straight. I just don't see it. If they wanted us to believe they where lovers they would have had them kiss on screen.

February 1, 2016 10:35 pm  #5758

Ho Yay wrote:

But they were actually not shown as bi. Clara is shown dating a man and being attracted to the doctor. Jane Austen is an historical figure so we can't suppose she was anything other than straight. I just don't see it. If they wanted us to believe they where lovers they would have had them kiss on screen.

You're yanking my chain now aren't you... Naughty Ho Yay! This gave me a right giggle. Btw I now follow you on teh tumblr!

---------------

February 1, 2016 11:02 pm  #5759

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 1, 2016 11:02 pm  #5760

(I am the secret not to be named primary account that just followed you)

Board footera