BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 25, 2014 11:47 am  #121

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

No...you can have bonfires anywhere...
You only call the fire brigade if there's a problem.
I don't know if you're supposed to have a fire extinguisher nearby, maybe that's in the fire work code.
But that fire was too big for an extinguisher.

Last edited by besleybean (February 25, 2014 12:08 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 12:23 pm  #122

nakahara wrote:

It′s a big bonfire but, frankly, I don′t see enough place there for two people to jump around and work in tandem in such a hurry. They would end up bumping uselessly into each other which would slow up their rescue of John.

That „Get out, John“ line was quite bizarre, I admit. But I don′t see anything sinister behind it.

I don't think the OP was asking whether it's sinister; she was noting that it seems extremely strange. After all, if all that John had to do was remove himself from the bonfire he would have done so already. Equally, why should she have gone to Sherlock with an apparently vitally urgent message if, upon arrival, she believes that John can remove himself from the bonfire? It doesn't make sense.

It does make sense if she's CAM's agent, whose job it is to ascertain just how far Sherlock will go to assist John; in those circumstances her actions do make sense.

February 25, 2014 1:53 pm  #123

Swanpride wrote:

Who says that she believes that he can remove himself? If you see someone walking in danger, you scream "look out!" even if you know that it is too late. If you see someone unconscious, you tell him to wake up, no matter how far gone he is. It's just desperation. Plus, if she were in it, the situation wouldn't be any different. John would still be trapped, and her calls would still be useless.

We see how Mary reacts when she gets the first message, and nothing indicates that she expected it. .

We are not discussing hypothetical situations; we are discussing the specific text of this event, as well as her specific actions and inactions. Trying to drag in extraneous possibilities suggests that you do not, in fact, have an explanation for what we observe and hear.

Incidentally, we don't know that it is the first message; you are simply asserting that it is the first message...

February 25, 2014 2:37 pm  #124

I would like to come back to one of the things that struck me most - that Mary never expresses her feelings for John. I am not expecting any schmaltzy declarations of love at the altar but just one sentence. It would not have struck me so much if not John and most of all Sherlock "Caring is not an advantage" Holmes had voiced their feelings so openly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2014 2:56 pm  #125

Incidentally, IMO the bonfire scene would have been a good opportunity for Mary to show her love for John. Because I still don't agree with some here: I still think that she could and probably should have done more than just stand by and let Sherlock do the rescue. And even if Sherlock is the one who rescues John: once John has been pulled out of the bonfire, it's still Sherlock who seems to care much more about him than Mary, he is leaning over John, trying to bring him fully back to consciousness, while Mary is standing in the background. (And hey, let's not forget: Mary is a nurse, right...?)
And yes, the show is called "Sherlock", but if the writers had wanted us to see a more caring and loving Mary in that scene, they would have done so. And that's also true for several other scenes.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 25, 2014 2:57 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 25, 2014 3:03 pm  #126

I agree with you. This is not about demonising her but looking at what is there. And as you say, in the bonfire scene the focus is totally on Sherlock and John, even after he has pulled him out of the fire. They could have made Sherlock step back and Mary take action to comfort or examine John. But we get John's perspective with Sherlock's face in front of him and Mary a bit blurry standing in the background. And this although she is his girlfriend AND other than Sherlock has a medical training. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 25, 2014 3:07 pm  #127

SusiGo wrote:

I would like to come back to one of the things that struck me most - that Mary never expresses her feelings for John. I am not expecting any schmaltzy declarations of love at the altar but just one sentence. It would not have struck me so much if not John and most of all Sherlock "Caring is not an advantage" Holmes had voiced their feelings so openly. 

Yes, it is strange; I'm trying to find something beyond her 'I like him', which is a reference to Sherlock, not John, and failing. The entire season underlines your point about the expression of love; even Mycroft admits in the end how dear Sherlock is to him, and yet Mary, who is apparently prepared to attack and even kill anyone who may interfere with her relationship with John, never expresses her feelings for him.

This does leave things wide open for the writers in S4, in much the same way that the ambiguous conversation in Baker St, where Mary never says anything first, but simply echoes what Sherlock says, leaves it wide open...

February 25, 2014 3:31 pm  #128

And why don't we look at what Mary actually does say to or about John? Susi, you already gave us some examples, and I had to think of the following two.

The first is from TSoT, when Mary tells Sherlock that she knows when he's fibbing. And what does she say?
Mary: "I’m not John. I can tell when you’re fibbing."
Looks harmless enough, doesn't it? And yes, we probably all sometimes tell other people how good we are at something by telling them at the same time that someone else sucks at it. Still, IMO she could have found a nicer way to tell Sherlock that she's clever - without kind of bashing the man she loves.

Then, also from TSoT, the scene in front of Sholto's room. Sherlock tells Mary that John also is a drama queen, and Mary says: "Yeah, I know."
Once again, it seems harmless enough. But it seems to me that Mary always knows what to say when it's about John's not so perfect qualities. But when it's about herself and the mistakes she might have made - next to nothing.

I actually was pretty annoyed btw when in HLV this dialogue ensued:
JOHN: "So, are you okay?"
MARY (rather sarcastically): "Oh! Are we doing conversation today? It really is Christmas."
All that I have to say about this is: Even if John hasn't been talking to Mary for months (and I know that some people think that he should grow up and stuff, and not talking to Mary probably appears to be a very childish thing) - who's fault is that, really? John's fault? Mary is the one who screwed up, and still... she is the one who is pissed? Well...

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 25, 2014 3:33 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 25, 2014 3:41 pm  #129

Solar, I agree with you on all points. One might call it nitpicking but there is a sort of pattern in there. 
She is the best thing that could happen, she sees through Sherlock's fibbing, she manoeuvres them out of the flat … 
Not once does she confess a mistake or voices regret at what she did in her past or to Sherlock. She is a sort of silent presence around which everything revolves and which remains an enigma because she never talks about herself. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 25, 2014 3:41 pm)

February 25, 2014 3:49 pm  #130

SusiGo wrote:

She is the best thing that could happen, she sees through Sherlock's fibbing, she manoeuvres them out of the flat …

And also, she reacts kind of annoyed and not very supportive in TEH, when they are in the kebab shop and John is 'over-reacting':
JOHN (furiously): "'Over-reacting'?!"
MARY: "John!"
John might even be over-reacting, he is definitely reacting in a very loud and upset manner - but isn't that totally understandable? It's been... an hour or two that Sherlock came back from the dead, why should John be calm? And the way in which Mary says "John!" - it's as if she wanted to say "Will you shut up now, don't make such a fuss!". Not what I personally would expect from John's girlfriend in a situation like this one...

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 25, 2014 3:49 pm)

February 25, 2014 3:52 pm  #131

Well, she may have reason not to want to draw attention to the situation..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 25, 2014 3:54 pm  #132

Swanpride wrote:

@SolarSystem That's mostly English humour. Like John "threatening" to marry her if she doesn't shut up.

Did we ever doubt that Sherlock likes John? And how often does her actually say that he does? Or the other way around, how often makes John any declaration? They needed until the second season to even call each other "friends".

First I think (letting Johnlock out of the equation) that friendship between two men and love between spouses are not one and the same. But let us have a look at what Sherlock and John do for each other in series 1 and 2:
- Sherlock helps John to lose his limp
- John shoots the cabbie for Sherlock
- John refuses to spy on Sherlock
- John saves Sherlock from the Golem's attack
- Sherlock confesses his friendship in HoB
- John is worried for Sherlock after Irene's alleged death
- John grieves for Sherlock and says "I was so alone and I owe you so much"

And there are just some examples. They show their feelings by words and actions and this is definitely something I miss from Mary. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 25, 2014 3:55 pm)

February 25, 2014 5:05 pm  #133

Well, when it comes to actions, Mary probably takes the worst action ever by shooting Sherlock and killing him - yes, he died. I know we've been over this lots of times already, but for me this action actually spoils most of the positive things we've seen of Mary before. She could have made up for this at least a bit by actually finally talking to John afterwards in 221B - but no, she hands him the A.G.R.A. stick and thereby hands over the action and responsibility to him. Now John has to decide whether or not he will read the information that's on the stick or not.
I know that love does come in different shapes and forms, and Sherlock certainly hurt John very, very much by faking his death and not telling John about it. But Mary... Mary lied to the man she married in a quite extreme fashion, if you ask me. And I see no sign whatsoever that she is really willing to take responsibility for that eventually. But then of course, she probably won't have to because John just decided to close his eyes and ears and forgive her. Okay, that's probably love. A bit stupid, but love.

February 25, 2014 5:11 pm  #134

But we don't know what will happen next season.

February 25, 2014 5:18 pm  #135

That's why the thread is about the last one. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 25, 2014 5:33 pm  #136

I'd like to come back to these:

"Mary is angry on John's behalf when she tells Sherlock "Do you have any idea what you have done?"" - understandable.
and not a long time afterwards:
"John!!"  - which did sound reproachfull to me. Maybe not really as "shut up!" but also not in a very calming way, either.

It was something which irritated me. It's like Mary's taking over Sherlock's side (and against John) somehow very quickly.

Last edited by Mattlocked (February 25, 2014 5:33 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 25, 2014 5:36 pm  #137

What Mary did in the bonfire scene is clever if you look at it from her point of view. I mean, she didn't need Sherlock to help her at all. Being a trained assassin, she could have done all that herself. But if she had taken a motorbike and dived into the flames to save John, it would have caused suspicion. Asking Sherlock for help is the best option - she knows he's about as clever as her, and he loves John, so Mary doesn't have to do anything; John will be in the best hands. Giving away that she was able to read the skip code was risky enough, but afterwards she could make up for that by playing the stupid helpless little girl with no idea what to do, so nobody suspected anything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 25, 2014 5:40 pm  #138

Good point, QE. 

And Mattlocked: It is true, she forgives Sherlock very quickly although she knows how John has suffered. Do not get me wrong, of course we want her to like Sherlock, but she shifts her loyalty very quickly. This is what I meant by the "confidant" quote. Here, too, she tries to explain Sherlock's actions and thereby hurts John by stressing that not he but Mycroft played that part. 

February 25, 2014 6:08 pm  #139

QuiteExtraordinary wrote:

What Mary did in the bonfire scene is clever if you look at it from her point of view. I mean, she didn't need Sherlock to help her at all. Being a trained assassin, she could have done all that herself. But if she had taken a motorbike and dived into the flames to save John, it would have caused suspicion. Asking Sherlock for help is the best option - she knows he's about as clever as her, and he loves John, so Mary doesn't have to do anything; John will be in the best hands. Giving away that she was able to read the skip code was risky enough, but afterwards she could make up for that by playing the stupid helpless little girl with no idea what to do, so nobody suspected anything.

Well, caused suspicion in who? There could be no guarantee that Sherlock would decipher the code, every moment was vital, given that John was drugged and semi-conscious under a petrol soaked bonfire about to be ignited; if ever there was a situation where 'time is of the essence' it was then. And yet she chooses to enlist Sherlock rather than going directly to rescue John herself. I agree that it tells us quite a bit about Mary, but it doesn't tell us that she loves John.

February 25, 2014 6:21 pm  #140

Mattlocked wrote:

I'd like to come back to these:

"Mary is angry on John's behalf when she tells Sherlock "Do you have any idea what you have done?"" - understandable.
and not a long time afterwards:
"John!!"  - which did sound reproachfull to me. Maybe not really as "shut up!" but also not in a very calming way, either.

It was something which irritated me. It's like Mary's taking over Sherlock's side (and against John) somehow very quickly.

Which would be entirely understandable if she perceived Sherlock as useful to her, and John as someone she can easily manipulate.

It's a great deal less understandable if she is madly in love with John and realises what Sherlock's apparent suicide did to him.

Board footera