BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2014 10:01 pm  #621

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Mod's notice: This is getting very personal, Swanpride. I am posting my opinion in here, that is what this forum is for. And, yes, I have complained months ago about the heated atmosphere, and, yes, it has died down. And we are constantly getting new members who have fun around here and look forward to the next season. Please stop these personal attacks. You do not seem to realise that the only one getting aggressive in here is you. 

Thank you, Raven. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 20, 2014 10:02 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 20, 2014 10:06 pm  #622

SusiGo wrote:

Mod's notice: This is getting very personal, Swanpride. I am posting my opinion in here, that is what this forum is for. And, yes, I have complained months ago about the heated atmosphere, and, yes, it has died down. And we are constantly getting new members who have fun around here and look forward to the next season. Please stop these personal attacks. You do not seem to realise that the only one getting aggressive in here is you. 

Thank you, Raven. 

You're welcome. Hang in there. :-)

August 20, 2014 10:07 pm  #623

If there is such an 'underlying aggressivity' here, I can't for the life of me understand what brings you back here, Swanpride. Furthermore, following your own arguments it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that we all are constantly saying "Wääääähhhhh..." when it comes to Mary, after all we are the fraction that took over the forum.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 20, 2014 10:54 pm  #624

Liberty wrote:

Well, I liked the character and I'm happy to see a more positive view of her, if there's evidence for it.  It's just that some things are difficult to ignore.

If I try to put a positive slant on it ... Sherlock comes back from the dead trying to save John (again).  He doesn't try to get John away from Mary.  Instead, he goes to great lengths to make Mary tell John the truth and to keep them together.  There's just a chance that he wants them to stay together because Mary is protecting John in some way - he doesn't think John is danger from Mary, but from someone/something else.  I'm not convinced of that at the moment, but maybe somebody can convince me - how is Mary protecting John?

Now see-- I thought  this was an interesting take; though I think it speaks more for Sherlock than it does for Mary. She was the recipient of Sherlock's good will-- so, it's really more like taking Sherlock's word for it that she's a trustworthy person-- but is Sherlock a reliable narrator?  Or an unreliable one? 

As far as danger to John, "guardian"-- I'm curious to know  what they're alluding to, there. 

August 20, 2014 11:01 pm  #625

Liberty wrote:

@Raven I don't want Mary to be working for Moriarty because I preferred CAM as a villain.  I could even see Mary as a villain in her own right.  But a connection does make sense.  It's strange that Moriarty appears at the end of the episode "about" Mary, and that of the people who saw Sherlock off on the plane, Mary is the least trustworthy.  

Liberty;  what do you think about the idea that Mary actually took over Moriarty's organization? That would make her rather formidable indeed, and a multi-faceted villainess. 

August 20, 2014 11:21 pm  #626

*standing by with shock blankets and jameson's in case anyone has needs*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 20, 2014 11:32 pm  #627

tonnaree wrote:

*standing by with shock blankets and jameson's in case anyone has needs*

Oh, I'll take one. And a Valium.

August 21, 2014 5:48 am  #628

Good grief, I've walked in on a fire storm.
Here's my penny's worth:
First and foremost I don't want anybody to leave.
I have mentioned before that on my last forum, of my 2 best friends: 1 was kicked off and the other left in protest...I'm too bloody minded to let anybody beat me off a forum voluntarily!
But already on here, even at satff level, we've had one departure.
As has been mentioned(and we possibly have to accept) people can leave, fade, or feel bad for different reasons.
I would add that I think we may have to distinguish between people having hurt feelings and those with a genuine grievance.
Without  proper survey(and I have mentioned this before), nobody really knows whether or not they are in the majority camp on any one issue.
Certainly the 2 hot topics I'm aware of on here are Johnlock and Marylock(do you like that?!)
But regardless of what the subject matter is, here are my thoughts:
As long as you are not personally abusive(and that is not the same as directing a post at somebody or drawing their attention to it)or inciting hatred against another member....
1. You should be allowed to say what you want and how you want.
As a courtesy rule:
2. Please don't put words into others mouths.
2. Please don't tell people how their post sounded(tho you are free to say how it made you feel)
General guidance:
1. If you have issue with something somebody has said...ask them about it!
My final observation is that(IMHO)I do feel staff should both advice and lead by example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 21, 2014 6:34 am  #629

Too much negativity and very little constructive discussion. I was starting to enjoy the insightful debates within a civil atmosphere. How can there be a debate if everybody agrees with everybody? So let’s accept that it’s normal to have different opinions and then express one’s own. As for me I was always more interested in figuring out the true intent of the writers than supporting or fangirling on a character/ scenario/ ship. So any interpretation/ theory/ opinion from any angle are most welcome. Because I feel yet again we won’t be able to untangle all the mysteries in the hiatus.  

Last edited by tykobrian (August 21, 2014 6:35 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

August 21, 2014 6:42 am  #630

Thank you for your summary, besleybean. Just one question - what do you imply by your last sentence? Because if this is a critique of something I have done it would be nice and helpful if you followed your own principle stated above - asking people if you have issue with things they have said. 

Swanpride: Just one thing - you have a started a "Why we love Mary" thread in which I deliberately did not post because it did not express my opinion. But I respect that this is your opinion and therefore I would not post in there to disagree. Now look at this thread - I started it to analyse my issues with Mary's character in a matter-of-fact way based on the script and the show. And what happened? You posted in here again and again to disagree and accuse people of "hatred". 

Tykobrian: Yes, it would be nice if know we could return to a fair and lively discussion. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 21, 2014 6:51 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2014 6:53 am  #631

Oh Heaven!!! Just my two cents:

- Do some people still realise that all this is about a fictional TV show???
- It's not what you say, but how you say it. Nobody is "right" because he shouts the loudest.

EDIT:
Just one more thing, SP. Do you know the difference between "I don't like" and "I hate"??? Speaking for me, I am not able to "hate" something that doesn't "exist".

Last edited by gently69 (August 21, 2014 7:36 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 21, 2014 12:16 pm  #632

*lays out a table of whiskey shots and a bowl of Valuim*     

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 21, 2014 12:22 pm  #633

Fine - double substance abuse!   

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 21, 2014 1:45 pm  #634

Harriet wrote:

Fine - double substance abuse!

It's not abuse if you do it right.  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 21, 2014 3:47 pm  #635

Whoa, what happened here during the last 24 hours?! I've read all new posts twice now and still fail to see the problem. Where do all these hard feelings come from?!

Swanpride wrote:

I'm tired of this...I am tired of everything Mary does getting interpreted in the most negative light possible, especially while other characters get a pass.

Swanpride wrote:

I am simply tired of arguing, because no matter what, it will always be answered with
1. wääääääääh....she shoot Sherlock!!!!!
2. wääääääääh....she upsets out bromance!!!!!
or
3. wääääääääh....how can you interpret anything she does in a positive light!!!!

I am tired of this...even the threat I started for Mary lovers is not free from "I could say something against it, but I won't do it out of respect" posts (which are in itself already a negative commentary). There is a reason why I was barely here the last months. No matter what the topic is, it is all about pointing out how awful Mary is. I am not even sure if it is a majority opinion, because it's usually the same people who keep doing it. It is impossible to discuss anything, because everything is immediatly bogged down by Mary hatred.
So no, I won't make another long post trying to argue my point...I have done it often enough, and I got shut down often enough. You make one positive post concerning her, and immediatly two or three people make a choin posts until your words are buried. I won't bother anymore.

It looks to me like you feel very protective of Mary, Swanpride. I understand that. I feel the same way when John is discussed, for example in that thread where someone said he would be likely to abuse his child.
But I fail to see any Mary bashing here like you can find it on other platforms like twitter. Yes, there happen to be many forum members who would rather not join the Mary fan club. But all I see are matter-of-factly discussions on the topic. 
(Besides, there might be many forum members who would love to go Whääähhh” about Mary but never will be able to because their keyboard lacks the letter ä) 

Swanpride wrote:

Did you ever consider that I am the only one who bothers to speak up?

Oh please. We are talking about discussing a fictional character on a fan forum. Not the human rights in the middle of a dictatorship. No one has to “speak up” to say whether they like Mary or not. 

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Actually, Swanpride-- I left, for months. And it was because anytime the subject of Mary came up, and anyone, including myself, dared to say anything that was not in praise of her character , they were subjected to being called a hater, and that they were making it hard for others to be here. And most of the time the person doing the accusing was you, Swanpride. And I could tell that you're really sensitive, and I didn't want to hurt your feelings. So, I left. And I missed everyone. 

So now I'm back, and the same thing is happening again. 

But please don't leave again, Raven. Your comments are usually well thought through and I love how calm you responded here in this thread several times where others would have become snarky.

Swanpride wrote:

@SusiGo Do you really think anybody would pm you, considering that you are one of the most vocal Anti-Mary posters?

This where I personally feel like you are getting too far, Swanpride. Show me one example where Susi unfairly commented on someone's post or said something about Mary without explaining why she feels that way. As a mod she works hard (sorry to say that but harder than the other mods or the boss) to keep the forum a positive, insult-free place. As a member she has ever right to express like or dislike for any character. She always states is she is saying something as a mod or not. What more can we ask for? 

Now you can make it easy for you to say that I am just another Mary hater, but that is not true. I love having her on the show, and I love writing about her in fan fics BECAUSE she is a wedge between Sherlock and John, BECAUSE she is not a “good” person. So, what does that make me?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 21, 2014 6:26 pm  #636

Schmiezi wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Actually, Swanpride-- I left, for months. And it was because anytime the subject of Mary came up, and anyone, including myself, dared to say anything that was not in praise of her character , they were subjected to being called a hater, and that they were making it hard for others to be here. And most of the time the person doing the accusing was you, Swanpride. And I could tell that you're really sensitive, and I didn't want to hurt your feelings. So, I left. And I missed everyone. 

So now I'm back, and the same thing is happening again. 

But please don't leave again, Raven. Your comments are usually well thought through and I love how calm you responded here in this thread several times where others would have become snarky.

Thanks, Schmiezi , I'm not going anywhere-- though I may back off for a little bit. :-) Let things calm down a little. 

August 21, 2014 6:27 pm  #637

tykobrian wrote:

Too much negativity and very little constructive discussion. I was starting to enjoy the insightful debates within a civil atmosphere. How can there be a debate if everybody agrees with everybody? So let’s accept that it’s normal to have different opinions and then express one’s own. As for me I was always more interested in figuring out the true intent of the writers than supporting or fangirling on a character/ scenario/ ship. So any interpretation/ theory/ opinion from any angle are most welcome. Because I feel yet again we won’t be able to untangle all the mysteries in the hiatus.  

THIS. More of this, please. 

August 21, 2014 6:30 pm  #638

It is good to read such a sensible and apt post, Schmiezi.
I strongly support your view.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 21, 2014 6:46 pm  #639

Yes, Schmiezi, Straight to the point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 21, 2014 11:16 pm  #640

I'm sad that the conversation has just...stopped. It was wonderful before everything went kerblooey.
:-( 

Maybe tomorrow, then... :-)

Board footera