BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 2, 2014 11:41 am  #341

Re: My thoughts about Mary (all episodes)

Yeah, with Sherlock and John sitting on the roof and kissing in the end...... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 2, 2014 11:42 am  #342

I'm up for that...shall we start a petiton?!
Only joking, well, the 2nd part at least!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 2, 2014 11:43 am  #343

Mattlocked wrote:

But not "connecting", let's be decent!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 2, 2014 11:46 am  #344

Tee Hee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 2, 2014 12:07 pm  #345

SusiGo wrote:

But she did not show any concern either. Molly's reaction may have been violent, maybe too violent, but it was born of worry and care and love for Sherlock. 
Please note that I have not commented on her behaviour in this scene in my analysis but when people bring this up I have to say that I prefer Molly's slaps to Sherlock's face anytime over Mary's behaviour during most of the episode. 

I agree. I have written about Molly and Sherlock on the Redbeard thread so I will not repeat it here, but Sherlock has a debt of honour to Molly which he fully recognises. He understands that when she slaps him it is born of worry and care and love, which is, in turn, reflected in his Mind Palace after he has been shot, when she slaps him again; this too is worry, care and love,  directed towards saving his life.

March 2, 2014 12:21 pm  #346

I agree about the motivation behind Molly slapping Sherlock, but still didn't like that they had her do that - I don't find any kind of violence funny, cute or acceptable, yet the writers presented it as such on several occasions n this series, imo.
And while I can forgive Molly because of the motivation behind it, I find what she did as out if character as John seeing with his own eyes the way Mary threatened Sherlock and the pain she put him through, having shot him, and yet still choosing to find out nothing else about her before taking her back....oh well, I guess I really am going round in circles now - sorry!

Last edited by Tinks (March 2, 2014 12:22 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 2, 2014 1:04 pm  #347

Yes, Sherlock John and Mary all shoot people directly...I know only 2 of those definitely meant to kill.
John and Mary are both trained killers.
John kills the cabbie.
Mary doesn't kill Sherlock.

March 2, 2014 1:10 pm  #348

besleybean wrote:

Yes, Sherlock John and Mary all shoot people directly...I know only 2 of those definitely meant to kill.
John kills the cabbie.

I know it's a endless discussion, but Mary DID kill Sherlock. He flatlined. 
I precise I'm not doing Mary bashing, just stating the facts 

Otherwise I agree with you, John and Mary are both trained killer.
But John meant to save Sherlock at the first place.
He probably wouldn't have killed the cabbie if Sherlock wasn't about (stupidly) to swallow this damn pill.

Last edited by Ozymandias (March 2, 2014 1:13 pm)

"Storming, enjoying, planning, loving, cautioning,
Backing and filling, appearing and disappearing,
I tread day and night such roads."
Walt Whitman

March 2, 2014 1:14 pm  #349

I agree with you on John.

March 2, 2014 1:24 pm  #350

Tinks wrote:

I agree about the motivation behind Molly slapping Sherlock, but still didn't like that they had her do that - I don't find any kind of violence funny, cute or acceptable, yet the writers presented it as such on several occasions n this series, imo.
And while I can forgive Molly because of the motivation behind it, I find what she did as out if character as John seeing with his own eyes the way Mary threatened Sherlock and the pain she put him through, having shot him, and yet still choosing to find out nothing else about her before taking her back....oh well, I guess I really am going round in circles now - sorry!

Well, it is at times like this when I repeat my 'It's the baby, stoopid' mantra to myself; it's the only way I can make sense of the season. Sherlock has a series of highly unappealing choices to make and I think he makes them on the basis of which is the least bad, since there are no good ones.

I agree that John does appear to be in denial, but again I think he may also be going for the least bad; from all we know of Mary she does not appear to be excellent self sacrificing mother material, and somebody has to be there for the child.

Viewed in those terms it brings us closer to the canonical Sherlock and Watson; Dr Watson always was a sucker for a pretty face and a sob story, and so is our John. The canonical Sherlock was good at recognising that love is not always a many splendoured thing, that it can be twisted and perverted; he would have had no difficulty in recognising Mary for what she is. That doesn't mean that a pregnant woman should be abandoned to her enemies; if John and Sherlock had done that then their moral universe would crumble, and they would no longer be ACD's Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson...

March 2, 2014 1:27 pm  #351

besleybean wrote:

John kills the cabbie.

Actually, I see no evidence to support the assertion that John is a trained killer; he's an excellent shot but Army doctors do not spend their lives in combat.

March 2, 2014 7:56 pm  #352

Mattlocked wrote:

Wheee! 

March 2, 2014 7:57 pm  #353

Would love to see this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 2, 2014 11:24 pm  #354

Tinks wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

????? She only had one scene with him before she shot him and in this scene she was more or less the nicest person in the room, because she neither slapped him, nor ripped into him because of his drug habit.

She was actually quite sarcastic about him in the opening scenes.
She was also, notably, the only person in his circle who didn't seem bothered by the fact that he seemed to have resumed his drug habit.

Maybe because she was the only person clever enough to understand his actual motive for doing it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 3, 2014 1:08 am  #355

SusiGo wrote:

Would love to see this. 

I wouldn't love to see this, but I entirelly accep! that others feel differently

March 3, 2014 6:52 am  #356

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Tinks wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

????? She only had one scene with him before she shot him and in this scene she was more or less the nicest person in the room, because she neither slapped him, nor ripped into him because of his drug habit.

She was actually quite sarcastic about him in the opening scenes.
She was also, notably, the only person in his circle who didn't seem bothered by the fact that he seemed to have resumed his drug habit.

Maybe because she was the only person clever enough to understand his actual motive for doing it?

In which case wouldn't she have spoken up and told Molly and John to back off a bit?
That much depends on how we choose to interpret it, I suppose, but definitely there was a marked change in her - from the person who actively encouraged John and Sherlock to spend time together in the previous episodes, she's now rolling her eyes because John misses Sherlock, having not seen him for a month.
I really don't want to think that Moftiss wrote her as doing that because they see it as "typical" female behaviour, that would be really disappointing.
So my take is, that she was never as keen on Sherlock as she made out, but knew it was best not to antagonise him before she'd married John, for fear he'd start trying to learn more about her to put John off.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 3, 2014 1:37 pm  #357

I agree.
If you were a killer masquerading as a nice little wife of a suburban doctor, would you be easy and fine with a detective sniffing around you all of the time?
She was forced to endure Sherlock before marriage – marriage then gave her a perfect opportunity to get rid of him and to finally pull John out from under his influence.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 3, 2014 2:24 pm  #358

Only time Mary wants Sherlock to go with John... the run him like a pet scene.
Every other time Mary , despite Johns objections , insists in going along.
John even writes on his blog "Mary insisted on coming"
She isn't involved in the JW/SH make up at all that we see.

When she tells John Sherlock had a confidante...not John
When she tells Sherlock...John talks about Sholto all the time...not Sherlock
We weren't the first...

Implying...not best friend... And distance..

Last edited by lil (March 3, 2014 2:29 pm)

March 3, 2014 2:47 pm  #359

When you see your boyfriend/ have a huge protacted fight with someone...and then you take the other persons side saying.." I like him "
You are making the other person immediately think of all the reasons for the fight..and why you don't like them.

She encourages Sherlocks ruffled feathers by making Sholto more not less inportant to John. John talks more about Sholto..Sholto is more antisocial than you...

When she says the " see that does happen "
Thats also a ...Sherlock isn't all that put down isn't it.

Basic reverse psychology...and manipulative.

Last edited by lil (March 3, 2014 2:50 pm)

March 3, 2014 2:53 pm  #360

This only highlights the ambivalent way in which this interesting character is written. Everything is possible.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera