BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2017 9:49 pm  #861

Re: Sherlocked - The Official Sherlock Convention

Vhanja wrote:

Again with the black and white thinking - of course you don't have to be a Moftiss admirer to watch the show. Why is it always either/or?

Mentioning that there are more possible reasons for watching Sherlock than admiration for Mofftiss writing is black and white thinking? Hmmm.... bizarre....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 31, 2017 5:58 am  #862

Some pondering coming to my mind and so I may as welll put it here as anywhere....
Possibly it's just me, but I feel I am seeing an emerging pattern- and I do hope somebody can convince me otherwise.
Firstly can I remind people that I didn't want Irene in the story at all, but knew she would be. What they did was great. I don't like that they showed Sherlock attracted to Irene, but I accept they did.
Also at this juncture, can I mention that I was one of those that never considered Sherlock to be a dangerous man, but even after SIB, I had to accept that he was.
Then, I never wanted them to do the Mary story. Knew that they would and I have loved what they did.
Then some other factors started creeping in: Mark and Steven and presumably latterly Sue lie.
That grew into:  lots of people think Mark and Steven could have written the show differently and by implication better.
The new one for me is: oh and actually, in some scenes, one of the stars doesn't even act that well.
Two final points: despite my constant reading of Mary having killed Sherlock, or at least shot him.  A series and a special later, thankfully, Sherlock is alive and well and mourning Mary in support of his best friend.
I come to this site because BBC Sherlock remains my favourite show and the last series was the best of all for me.

Last edited by besleybean (May 31, 2017 6:00 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 31, 2017 6:48 am  #863

besleybean wrote:

Two final points: despite my constant reading of Mary having killed Sherlock, or at least shot him.

Oh, you mean Sherlock was not shot at all by her?
Must have imagined those HLV scenes then.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 31, 2017 7:11 am  #864

Well, there were other posts on tumblr which just seemed critical for the sake of it, so I've left them out.  I'm more interested in those little tidbits from the creators.   It sounds as if some fans managed to get really up close and personal at the discussions which must have been exciting!  But one of the posts I linked does talk about the negativity in the fandom. 

I did love this quote "We have wild ideas - and we do them.  Obviously some of them get grumpy and say “This isn’t the realistic detective show it used to be!"  Heaven knows what they were watching."  I think it sums up the fantasy feel that has always been there.  TFP took it further, but it was there from the beginning!

I've been watching Breaking Bad recently.  I don't know if you've ever watched it, but there's a character, who I was shocked to find out seems to be hated by a large portion of the fandom, right from the beginning.  So much so that it was kind of an internet phenomenon.   Now it's two very different characters, two different situations, two different fandoms and so on, but I felt I recognised something - that there's a group of people who really want those characters to be bad and to interpret all their actions negatively.   If the writing/acting doesn't fit with that, then it's bad writing/acting.  Whereas it's actually just a choice of a different course (and personally, I think "good" Mary works best, story-wise, following from what we saw before). 

I do have my own issue and there was a choice of direction which I'm not happy with personally either, but I can see why it was chosen and why it works in terms of story and drama.   It's not bad writing/acting - it's just something I don't like!

May 31, 2017 9:02 am  #865

Liberty wrote:

I've been watching Breaking Bad recently.  I don't know if you've ever watched it, but there's a character, who I was shocked to find out seems to be hated by a large portion of the fandom, right from the beginning.  So much so that it was kind of an internet phenomenon.   Now it's two very different characters, two different situations, two different fandoms and so on, but I felt I recognised something - that there's a group of people who really want those characters to be bad and to interpret all their actions negatively.   If the writing/acting doesn't fit with that, then it's bad writing/acting.  Whereas it's actually just a choice of a different course (and personally, I think "good" Mary works best, story-wise, following from what we saw before).

Sorry, but what are you impying here?
Some fans somewhere hated some character from other series for no reason (or so you think) - and that makes fans who disagree with shooting Sherlock and see that act as inexusable act from Mary into people who just refuse to see how incredibly angelic she is?
These two things are absolutely unrelated and one says or proves nothing about the other.

May 31, 2017 9:14 am  #866

Liberty
I did love this quote [i wrote:

"We have wild ideas - and we do them.  Obviously some of them get grumpy and say “This isn’t the realistic detective show it used to be!" [/i] Heaven knows what they were watching."  I think it sums up the fantasy feel that has always been there.  TFP took it further, but it was there from the beginning!

Haha, wonderful quote. And I agree. I guess that's what I've always called "TV reality". Sherlock has never been realistic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 31, 2017 5:13 pm  #867

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Sorry, but what are you impying here?
Some fans somewhere hated some character from other series for no reason (or so you think) - and that makes fans who disagree with shooting Sherlock and see that act as inexusable act from Mary into people who just refuse to see how incredibly angelic she is?
These two things are absolutely unrelated and one says or proves nothing about the other.

Well, Skyler came to mind, as I watching Breaking Bad.   Honestly, it wasn't just "some fans somewhere" or something I imagined, but "news".   There's quite a lot about it on the internet if you're interested.     Anyway, I thought it might ring a bell with other people who have watched both shows and are aware of it.   If the character does something that might be innocuous for another character, then there's a group of people who will interpret it negatively, despite that not being the writers' intention.     

If you have a look through the links or notes from the post about Steven's comments about Mary further up (sorry, I don't understand tumblr!), you'll see the kind of thing I mean.  

It seemed relevant to Besleybean's post, anyway.

May 31, 2017 5:18 pm  #868

Ironically, Breaking Bad is one of Steven's favourite TV shows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 31, 2017 5:31 pm  #869

Really?  I didn't know that.  Although I suppose it's in a lot of people's favourite lists, so it makes sense!  It's pretty good - certainly one of the best things I've seen on TV in recent years.   The other similarity to Sherlock which occurred to me, was that the main characters are a duo - and I did read that they planned to off one of them after one series, yet watching the whole thing I feel that a pair is needed, in the same way that Sherlock wouldn't quite work as a solo show. 

May 31, 2017 5:34 pm  #870

Thank you for delivering all these yummy morsels to us, Liberty!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

May 31, 2017 5:49 pm  #871

You're welcome!  I've been itching to find out and envious of the people going (while hoping they had a fantastic time!).

Here's another great post.  Some of this has been posted elsewhere but some of it is new, I think:
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161178995817/from-the-makers-of-sherlock

... The only answers which were illuminating were 1) that season 4 was always going to be about Mary’s death, because John being a widower is an important part of canon, so she has to go. Thus the series became about grief. How John handled it, how Sherlock handled it. paraphrasing here, because they loved Mary so much.

Two, as Steven put it, you shine a light where you want it, you don’t paint the whole backdrop. Meaning, what they left out of the story doesn’t matter. This arose when a girl asked what happened after John got shot by Euros, and Steven made it into a bit of a joke … oh well Sherlock called the police, and followed the tracker he put behind John’s left ear, etc. etc. So there’s your answer for a lot of things like, how do they survive huge explosions, or what’s on that note? Doesn’t matter, blank background.

Three, all three of them together have a project greenlighted at BBC that has nothing to do with Sherlock but could be considered a, quote, stablemate. A later answer implied that it was updating a classic.

Someone asked about Garridebs, which I had personally also asked Steven about, and he gave the same reply again, that the important part of it was the personal moment when John is shot, BUT, we don’t need to see that from our John and Sherlock because everyone knows Sherlock would be upset. So he just used the name cuz he had three bodies to drop into the sea, why not call them that? Umm, ok.

Four, the decision to make Redbeard a child was made during TAB filming. According to them, It had become something of a joke, Sherlock mourning a dog so much, but what if it was a child? And they named him Victor Trevor from the canon.

I know some people are convinced they are lying liars who lie, but in person they are very genuine. Of course they are going to leave some loopholes open in case they need to come back to them, but I RRREEEAAALLLLYYY think they love Mary, think she’s not evil, and she’s dead.

I've bolded some bits I found particularly interesting!   I wonder if Redbeard being a child was the piece of information Mark accidentally let slip to Benedict during TAB filming?  It would be funny if it was, mirroring Mycroft giving triggers to Sherlock! 

I'm very curious about the new project!

May 31, 2017 5:51 pm  #872

Yes, sorry...I can't even remember if I reported that fact back to you all...Steven did say he and Mark were about to do a project together.

May 31, 2017 6:07 pm  #873

If you did mention it, I think I'd forgotten the detail about updating a classic.  About time they thought up their own ideas if you ask me.  

I'm kidding!

Anyway, that particular tumblr account seems to be a treasure trove of snippets from the con.    I get the impression that despite some of the negativity that we've talked about, the fans at the convention were respectful and civil, and the team were lovely! 

Lovely Wanda and Tim!
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161149703532/the-perfection-that-is-wanda-and-tim-god-bless

Andrew with some comments, including views on food and drink!
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161149182302/holy-crap-more-andrew-a-lot-of-his-answers-at
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161140465802/more-andrew

S5 and thoughts on Mary (I must have missed the whole bullet speed thing!)
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161150127947/con-bits-and-bobs

More on Sue and Johnlock:
http://friskykatt.tumblr.com/post/161248468722/asking-sue-the-big-question-exactly

May 31, 2017 6:11 pm  #874

He didn't mention it being updating a classic, in London!
But thanks for all this stuff again.
Sue's comments, of course, just reiterate what we already knew...or at least what we had already been told.

May 31, 2017 7:04 pm  #875

I really enjoyed Sue's "but we were NEVER making that show, we’ve ALWAYS known what direction we were going, and that wasn’t - John doesn’t want that, and Sherlock doesn’t want ANYTHING" reply, having been that "Sherlock doesn't want anything" fan well before discovering johnlock

I'm also happy to hear that Sue is so graciously sensitive. Dealing with all the hate thrown your way must be hard so I'm glad she has ways to cope and remain so generous with the fans.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 1, 2017 9:51 am  #876

A lovely detail about the show, discovered by a fan and confirmed by Mark:

https://ebaeschnbliah.tumblr.com/post/161311068014/interesting-thing-a-tuxedo

So they are not just using ACD quotes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 1, 2017 12:26 pm  #877

So much to catch up with!  I will be posting some pictures and stuff from the convention.  I didn't get to attend as many panels as I would've liked.  Photos and autographs took a lot of time and I was NOT missing them!
But I enjoyed everything I did see.  Every single guest was gracious and friendly.  I felt in awe of them all but they were so nice to me and showed a real appreciation for the fans.

Side Note:  Damn, Alistair Petrie is handsome. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 1, 2017 12:44 pm  #878

Looking forward to hear more. And, yes, he seems to be a lovely man. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 1, 2017 1:06 pm  #879

And hellishly funny. I really didn't expect that.

June 1, 2017 1:09 pm  #880

SusiGo wrote:

Looking forward to hear more. And, yes, he seems to be a lovely man. 

And funny!  OMG there were times he was just cracking us up.  Jonathan Aris was very funny too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera