BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2014 11:23 am  #141

Re: Four things I would prefer NOT to see in series 4

Well, some of us would include Besley. And actually I just remembered that Mark said something like that it's a bit strange that Sherlock would forgive her on the empire podcast. So who knows what else they want to do with it, maybe Susi's wish comes true. I'm fine either way, if they leave it at this and move on to the next bit I'll also be happy. 

October 5, 2014 11:24 am  #142

Quite, silverblaze.
None of us can see into the future, I have no idea what will happen...but I won't be surprised if it turns out Mary is ok in the end!
But  I will take whatever I'm given!
Since when did we start speaking for everybody else?!

Last edited by besleybean (October 5, 2014 11:26 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2014 11:30 am  #143

Quite the contrary, it looks very sherlockian to me that Sherlock doesn't remain on the obvious explanation (she shot me to kill me) and understands  another possible meaning for mary's action ( she shot me surgically,  to save me)

For me, it doesn't hurt the inner logic of the show. It would seem to me as much plausible as Sherlock hiding a plan about Mary.  Let's wait S4

I really believe the mary's problem for fans is basically a Johnlock problem .
And, as much as i'm not sure I like Sherlock being surrounded by a kind of "sherlock's team" ( Mycroft, Mary, Lestrade, Molly, Wiggins....), I'm not either only focused  on a unmovable and sacrosanct tandem

Last edited by NatureNoHumansNo (October 5, 2014 11:39 am)

October 5, 2014 11:34 am  #144

Who is 'we'...?
I'm always including words like "in my opinion" when I'm posting something. And in my opinion anything is possible in S4, of course. All I'm saying is that with the knowledge we have right now after S3, Sherlock's explanation surrounding Mary in HLV doesn't make sense to me when I'm taking into account what I know about Sherlock after the first eight episodes. Maybe we just have different views of Sherlock, so to someone else that surgery crap might make total sense. To me it doesn't. Maybe it will after S4. But right now, it doesn't.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 5, 2014 11:47 am  #145

I'm not so worried.  I think this is similar to TRF, in that Sherlock is setting things up for people to think one thing, whilst believing another himself.  I think this is actually Sherlock back on form, and in character.  Actually, both versions are in character - Sherlock would understand if somebody almost killed him for what seemed to be a very good reason, and Sherlock would create a false situation and even fool people close to him if it suited a higher purpose.   The second version fits the story "facts" better, though (I think).   And I'm trying to have faith that we will find out that the second version is what's happening, and we'll also find out why he does it.

Mary could still be OK in the end, and that would be fine with me as long as we're not left to believe the surgery explanation. 

I don't "believe" (I'm making it sound like a religion, sorry!) in Johnlock so I'm not coming from that angle.   My angle is that I often see Sherlock being cleverer than he seems and having secret plans.

October 5, 2014 12:08 pm  #146

Liberty wrote:

My angle is that I often see Sherlock being cleverer than he seems and having secret plans.

Yes, I understand, but actually, that's something I'm not fond of.
Sherlock being very clever, yes
Sherlock being more clever than everyone, no.
I'm not fond of the " i knew and mastered everything from the very beginning" about Moriarty in TEH.

October 5, 2014 12:34 pm  #147

Tastes differ, but I for one like to see Sherlock´s superior mind winning in the end. I like to see him challenged, but if he continues to be rescued by John, resorting to violence or sheer dumb luck it would stop being Sherlock Holmes for me.

October 5, 2014 12:45 pm  #148

Since someone just recently mentioned black and white and stereotypes: what I find particularly black and white and stereotypical is the assumption that Johnlockers don't like Mary because they are Johnlockers. There might by Johnlockers who think that way, but there certainly also are Johnlockers who are able to look at Mary as a character without constantly thinking 'Johnlock, Johnlok, Johnlock' in the back of their heads.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 5, 2014 12:46 pm  #149

I like to see his mind winning too, but I like to see it as a live process, not as a plan (let alone Mycroft's plan, like it's been explained in TEH )

October 5, 2014 1:09 pm  #150

SolarSystem wrote:

Since someone just recently mentioned black and white and stereotypes: what I find particularly black and white and stereotypical is the assumption that Johnlockers don't like Mary because they are Johnlockers. There might by Johnlockers who think that way, but there certainly also are Johnlockers who are able to look at Mary as a character without constantly thinking 'Johnlock, Johnlok, Johnlock' in the back of their heads.

wow, i don't want to start on this ( because Idon't want to tilt on windmills or fight a losing battle) but that's such a reality-reshaping.
I don't count the times when I wanted to discuss and have been pushed out by agressive Johnlockers or private jokes between johnlockers.

Last edited by NatureNoHumansNo (October 5, 2014 1:10 pm)

October 5, 2014 1:11 pm  #151

I think Sherlock could give Mary a pass for shooting him because he could look at it unemotionally..and concentrate on the mystery...he made up the lame excuses for John because he wanted them to fix it quicky...and get back to Magnusson / Mary case and not be bothered with the emotional aspects.
Sherlock knew how hard emotionally John would find it..without some reasons for what happened..Sherlock prob advised John not to read the memory srick too...John doesn't have a delete function..

The show is in the real ish world though and so they do have to keep it real ish..MG said something similar.
Going with the flow with things like the Golem and Mycroft is all fun and fine..it is what it is and it makes sense.
With Mary it is what it is....but it doesn't make logical sense....there's a few impossibles....as mentioned in other threads.
So I hope they do get back to more...outlandish and unusual...but this is what and how plots...without the holes.

I don't think the dislike for Mary is anything to do with it upsetting the Johnlock aspect...before S03 there wasn't really any of that..there was a fair bit of excitement for the storyline...it's only after she shot Sherlock and her dislikable aspects were shown...in a way for the Johnlockers it would be better if Mary stayed as advertised..normal woman/wife etc ...so John got what he thought he wanted...and had to face the fact that it isn't.

October 5, 2014 1:39 pm  #152

lil wrote:

I

I don't think the dislike for Mary is anything to do with it upsetting the Johnlock aspect...before S03 there wasn't really any of that..there was a fair bit of excitement for the storyline...it's only after she shot Sherlock and her dislikable aspects were shown....

You can't say that... As soon as she appeared, fans ( I won't say "johnlockers"...) wanted her dead. At time, it was because of the canon, not because of the shot  ;)

October 5, 2014 1:50 pm  #153

I hope you are not talking about this board. Usually people are quite polite no matter their convictions. And I remember that lots of fans were very positive about Amanda and her part in the show. On this board there was not cheap hatred or anything but high expectations about the new episodes and Mary's character. 

I think Amanda does a very good job. Mary is an interesting and ambivalent character (as is e.g. Moriarty). And all those heated discussions are proof that Mary is the real cliffhanger of series 3 and not Moriarty's re-appearance. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2014 1:57 pm  #154

I did have a quick scroll back at S03 news...and TEH..Mary threads here...surprisingly positive...but you could be right for a small minority on other places....but I really don't remember or can see pre S03 hate for her or the storyline here.

October 5, 2014 2:02 pm  #155

Thank you for checking, lil. I know there have been fans on tumblr who were aggressively against the inclusion of Mary or who sent Amanda hate messages via Twitter but this did not happen here, neither before nor after the airing. And as a mod I would not have tolerated it.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 5, 2014 7:50 pm  #156

lil wrote:

I did have a quick scroll back at S03 news...and TEH..Mary threads here...surprisingly positive...but you could be right for a small minority on other places....but I really don't remember or can see pre S03 hate for her or the storyline here.

Thank you so much for this. I would like to copy and paste your post everytime someone accuses someone else of "hating Mary because of Johnlock".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 5, 2014 9:27 pm  #157

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

wow, i don't want to start on this ( because Idon't want to tilt on windmills or fight a losing battle) but that's such a reality-reshaping.
I don't count the times when I wanted to discuss and have been pushed out by agressive Johnlockers or private jokes between johnlockers.

You started a thread in April asking for motivations of disliking Mary and you got lots of kind and honest replies that had nothing to do Johnlock (mine among others). Why can't you accept that? Why do you insist on a construct that is not supported by people here on this board?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 5, 2014 9:40 pm  #158

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

Liberty wrote:

My angle is that I often see Sherlock being cleverer than he seems and having secret plans.

Yes, I understand, but actually, that's something I'm not fond of.
Sherlock being very clever, yes
Sherlock being more clever than everyone, no.
I'm not fond of the " i knew and mastered everything from the very beginning" about Moriarty in TEH.

But shouldn't Sherlock be cleverer than (just about) everyone?  Isn't that the main thing that is so special about him - his mind? 

I didn't really like his dumbing down (to some extent) in S3, and I would be delighted to think that in HLV he was more in control than is initially apparent.  And he is largely in control - after being shot, he takes control of an extremely dangerous situation despite being medically unfit.  I just like to think that he continued that by manipulating Mary (and John).  But then I am really fond of Sherlock knowing and mastering everything with Moriarty - I don't think he really knows everything from the beginning, but he manages to keep up with Moriarty and get ahead.  I like to think he's doing the same with Mary.

October 5, 2014 9:45 pm  #159

I agree. I think he manipulates Mary for John's sake because he knows that he has to buy time as he will spend quite some time in hospital. He wants to placate her and accepts that he can only do so by hurting John and being verbally attacked by John in return. For me this shows that even under these extreme circumstances his brain functions quite well. 

October 6, 2014 6:03 am  #160

Hmm, interesting...
Though it did also kind of fit in with John the adrenalin junkie, too....which John admits at Barts,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera