BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2014 10:57 am  #101

Re: Mary's Death

ancientsgate wrote:

Yes, I am half joking. No need to be "horrified"; it was just a thought, perhaps a silly one, but not original with me, take my word for it.

It doesn't matter if you (or I, or anyone else) wish there were no baby. There IS a baby.... the writers have painted their characters into that particular corner, and now they're going to have to decide what to do with it. We shall all be waiting on pins and needles for the big reveal in S4, as always.

Please don't be offended, I was joking, not making fun of you... What I mean is that of course they've created an interesting challenge for themselves in writing in Mary's pregnancy, but in order for it to work it will take more than making the baby into yet another "pressure point" for the characters before finding a way to get rid of it. 

What worries me is that Mofftiss are such fans of Sherlock Holmes as a character that they derive infinite pleasure from putting him in oddly conventional situations... The stag night and best man speech were great fun but it would be boring if their next great idea was to explore "what happens when you put Sherlock and a crying baby in the same room".... I'm sure it would be funny, I just hope there isn't too much of it.

In terms of Mary Morstan being already dead... At first I didn't buy it but maybe it is their way of killing her off-scene like ACD did without undermining John's actual wife as a protagonist.

Hmmm... Damn, I don't think she's going to die at all now. Hopefully John is faking and is going to leave her soon.

May 9, 2014 11:17 am  #102

Skull, I agree. I'm actually convinced now that just writing anybody out and killing them is cowardice. Not Mofftiss. It would be a strong scenario if they separated on terms of ratio. Which leads me back to the point it would probably erase from something within Marys past, which leads me back to my niggling feeling, that as John forgave his wife we probably have to swallow it, choke on it and its done, which leads me back to John Watsons future domestic bliss, which leads me back to...aaarrrggghhh🙈🙉🙊

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 9, 2014 11:44 am  #103

mrshouse wrote:

Skull, I agree. I'm actually convinced now that just writing anybody out and killing them is cowardice. Not Mofftiss. It would be a strong scenario if they separated on terms of ratio. Which leads me back to the point it would probably erase from something within Marys past, which leads me back to my niggling feeling, that as John forgave his wife we probably have to swallow it, choke on it and its done, which leads me back to John Watsons future domestic bliss, which leads me back to...aaarrrggghhh🙈🙉🙊

Nope... I think that would be even more boring. And an underestimation of John's judgement. SOMETHING is going to disrupt their joke of a domestic bliss and allow a refocus on Sherlock and John's relationship. We just don't know when it's going to hit the fan (pun intended, obviously). Might not even be until series 5, which would likely compromise the sanity of a lot of people.

But agreed that it will come from Mary's past, which John may know more about than he lets on...

Last edited by TheSkull (May 9, 2014 12:14 pm)

May 9, 2014 4:54 pm  #104

I'm kinda surprised you all think John knows so much.
He's been toatlly gormless for 3 seasosn so far, so why change the habit of a life time?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 9, 2014 5:05 pm  #105

besleybean wrote:

He's been toatlly gormless for 3 seasosn so far, so why change the habit of a life time?!

Haha. Good point. But I think that's precisely why they might go down that route if they are looking to surprise us (which obviously they are). Plus it wouldn't take Sherlock's brilliant deductions or any cunning plotting... It wouldn't be out of character for John to have read his lying wife's files, would it?

Last edited by TheSkull (May 9, 2014 5:57 pm)

May 9, 2014 6:07 pm  #106

tonnaree wrote:

TheSkull wrote:

Maybe. But I would be very surprised if it happened before the end of the series. It just seems plausible that this time they would go for a solution that doesn't involve John mourning a loved one for years... Because that's so 2 years ago...

There are many different ways and reasons Mary could die.  I can imagine cases where John would pull the trigger himself even.

But then, I'm evil that way.

Actually, I'm seeing that as a possibility, as well. 

After the baby is born, and revealed not to be John's-- but since they've patched things up, John stays. But his suspicions, long dormant, rise to the fore in a big way. Mary is not retired, he finds. , He sees her take out a target, and it sends him into a tailspin. He goes to Sherlock for refuge. And now, he's struggling with realizing the truth about his feelings for Sherlock. Meanwhile, Mary now *has to finish her assignment* : Kill Sherlock. And she's just about about to do that, when John, having followed her, shoots her, from afar. And Sherlock is there to pick up the pieces. 

I have to go write, while crying all over my keyboard. 

May 9, 2014 6:12 pm  #107

I think it's likely Marys past connects to Moriarty....as does Magnusson.
Balance of probability.  Probably Moriarty was who she was hiding from and thus she sought out John initially to discover the truth of Moriarty/Sherlocks death.

Sherlock realised she had been found..and the Moriarty connections and manipulated keeping her close for this reason. ( protecting them )

Mycroft knew everything and left her in situ as bait..hence why he warned Sherlock at the wedding happy ever afters are a lie..like doggy heaven was.Sherlock deduces something about the pregnancy@Mary and realises Mycroft is correct..as always....thats why the sad wedding exit.

Moriarty2 will deffo seek her death and likely get it.

Mrs Hudsons story may be foreshadowing....by the time Mary dies the revelations may proove to have been be too much for John and he is kinda relieved.

Last edited by lil (May 9, 2014 6:14 pm)

May 9, 2014 6:28 pm  #108

RavenMorganLeigh and lil... now we're talking.

May 10, 2014 2:45 am  #109

besleybean wrote:

What does gormless mean?  I'm not familiar with that word. Thx.

May 10, 2014 2:55 am  #110

ancientsgate wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I believe it's basically the same as clueless.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 10, 2014 3:18 am  #111

tonnaree wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I believe it's basically the same as clueless.

Clueless about what exactly?

John has always been portrayed as (somewhat) Everyman.... or as much Everyman as an MD who is also a decorated wounded-in-battle combat veteran can be. I don't see that he's any more clueless than any average guy is, about relationships in general and women in particular and....  stuff.

I did NOT like that thing they threw in towards the end of S3, about John being as f'ing crazy as Sherlock and Mary. I just have never seen any evidence of emotional pathology from John--  often confused, sometimes overly sensitive, in love with someone he doesn't think he can or should have, bored at work, thrilled to death to run the dangerous streets with Sherlock, perhaps unduly flattered that someone like Sherlock would actually want him around, willing to kill to protect those he loves, lonely and sad after Sherlock died---  yes, all those and more, but none of that makes someone pathological. Or clueless. I must have missed something, because I didn't understand that scene when John swore and threw the chair and yelled about how he's as crazy as any of them. I need to watch it again, I suppose, maybe I could understand it better on a 5th or 6th (whatever it would be) viewing.

Sherlock was *dead*, buried under a pretty black tombstone in a lonely church graveyard, so John went on with his life, and as many, many, many guys before him do, he fell for the first pretty face who smiled at him, treated him well, gave him nice sex, and flattered him-- a woman doesn't have to be a pathological anything to understand very well how to attract (and keep) a man, if she so chooses. And men are gullible in that way. I don't blame John for his falling for Mary, not at all-- again, he was just doing his guy thing, like most guys do. Not pathological, IMO.

And to haul this back on topic, as we've already established, the actual Mary Morstan is already dead. Therefore, the showrunners can keep this fake Mary alive as long as they want, as long as it suits them, as long as her actress wants the part. Just my opinion, but I don't think we'll see Mary or the baby die in S4. I could be wrong; I've been wrong before, lol.

May 10, 2014 7:47 am  #112

OT again: Sorry, I was just being  a bit down on John.
The kicking the chair scene is just sheer frustration.
He feels the victim, yet everybody is telling him it's his fault.
I agree with you on the falling in love thing, I think...except Mary was the 1st not to have Sherlock get in the way...
John thinks he fell in love with what he thought Mary was,
But Sherlock tells him he fell in love with what Mary really is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 10, 2014 11:20 am  #113

I don't think it was suggested that John himself is psychotic, but that he is attracted to them!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 10, 2014 11:25 am  #114

tonnaree wrote:

I don't think it was suggested that John himself is psychotic, but that he is attracted to them!

I need to watch it again, because I'm pretty sure he hollered something about how he was as f'ing crazy as the other two. Maybe just speaking out of frustration (and possibly fear, I suppose), but yeah....  I didn't like it.

Just the way they do with Johnlock, the writers/showrunners are playing with us when it comes to Mary.  We want her dead and out of the picture. But wait a minute, no, we don't-- there's a baby! And maybe Mary's reformed now. Maybe her secrets died with Magnussen, and now she can be a soccer mom (or whatever the Brit equivalent of that is), and John can be happy-happy, and then, because John's happy-happy, Sherlock can be happy-happy.  But wait a minute! Mary died in original canon, so how can they keep her alive?  On and on it goes, eh?

May 10, 2014 11:35 am  #115

Yep.
Exactly why I love the show!

May 10, 2014 1:46 pm  #116

Oh gosh, I'm so conflicted on this. I want to keep Mary because I love AA but I also love the idea of a great emotional death scene/episode. Maybe kill her in s5 so we get to keep her a little longer?

May 10, 2014 9:11 pm  #117

But why should she die when she can leave or disappear or fall in love with John´s sister Harry and elope with her? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 10, 2014 9:49 pm  #118

ancientsgate wrote:

I need to watch it again, because I'm pretty sure he hollered something about how he was as f'ing crazy as the other two. Maybe just speaking out of frustration (and possibly fear, I suppose), but yeah....  I didn't like it.

No, as far as I recall he didn't say anything along that line. He said things like "Why is everything always my fault?" or "But she wasn't supposed to be like that", but nothing that could be read as if he were saying that he's as crazy as Sherlock and Mary. Sherlock on the other hand insinuated that John is attracted to a lifestyle that both Sherlock and Mary can provide.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 12, 2014 1:30 am  #119

nakahara wrote:

But why should she die when she can leave or disappear or fall in love with John´s sister Harry and elope with her? 

Exactly. I want her out of the way ultimately but I'm convinced they're going to keep her around in the universe somehow. The Mary/Harry idea is funny. Catherine Tate would be a fantastic addition to the show regardless!

May 12, 2014 10:59 am  #120

silverblaze wrote:

Oh gosh, I'm so conflicted on this. I want to keep Mary because I love AA but I also love the idea of a great emotional death scene/episode. Maybe kill her in s5 so we get to keep her a little longer?

Yes, I like AA as well. But unfortunately this is not reason enough for me that I want the character of Mary to become a new lead. It changed the dynamics of the cast way too much to an extent I just did not like at all, too careless, too much planted into my head. But maybe there are other possibilities to reequilibrate the old dynamics than just to kill her off. I don't want John to have to grieve again. He will just turn his anger towards Sherlock and I'm sooooo done with hurt and angst between them.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera