BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2014 8:35 pm  #1

Moriarty: The only character that didn't work for me in the BBC series

The actor had a tough gig, I think, but I was sure that this manic Moriarty was merely a henchman posing as the real thing. I kept waiting for this truth to come out but it never did. I thought these producers would fix the situation. Maybe they did by killing him off but perhaps we'll find out my first idea was correct. Moriarty has to have some gravitas. Must be a professor.  A tweaked version can still work as with MG as Mycroft who is excellent.  They certainly tweaked Sherlock but have made him much more human and improved him so far in season 3. The original Holmes can be charming when needed and can seamlessly interact with people you need this for the disguises & etc. to work.

Last edited by SteveNJ (January 18, 2014 9:35 pm)

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

January 18, 2014 10:27 pm  #2

Re: Moriarty: The only character that didn't work for me in the BBC series

Watch some interviews with the writers. They're pretty clear about their intentions. 

January 18, 2014 11:16 pm  #3

I've read some interviews, doesn't make the chacacter any better but thanks for playing!

silverblaze wrote:

Watch some interviews with the writers. They're pretty clear about their intentions. 

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

January 19, 2014 1:36 am  #4

SteveNJ wrote:

Moriarty has to have some gravitas. Must be a professor.

Everyone's been youthfied so that Benedict & Martin are both younger than Holmes & Watson in the books. They tried to keep this trend & make Moriarty younger as well. I realise that there are many very young & intelligent professors out there, I'm not sure that it would work the best with Moriarty.

January 19, 2014 2:46 pm  #5

They said the canon character of Moriarty was a walking cliche. They wanted to do something else. A real psychopath. That became Andrew's version, they were blown away by his audition and even wrote in a scene that they didn't intend because they thought he was just awesome. 

January 19, 2014 3:06 pm  #6

Nowadays, a professor isn't necessarily a model of authority any longer - like back in the science enthusiastic 19th century.  He's now everything else but frightening.
A psychopath of unsound mind is. (remember Norman Bates?)
Andrew Scott's Moriarty is the perfect scaremonger.And thus has a different kind of "gravitas".

Last edited by tobeornot221b (January 19, 2014 3:07 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 19, 2014 5:33 pm  #7

For me this Moriarty was a massive fail. It just didn't work. Yes I see what they were going for but it didn't work.  It's my only major criticism so far. They did kill him off so I guess they realized it too.

January 19, 2014 5:39 pm  #8

I don't know whether we weill see anymore of him.
But I loved what they gave us.
He is still the perfect criminal mastermind for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 6:06 pm  #9

Well I have to credit the actor because he fully commited to the role but the babbling, loon-type character is a cliche.

He became a comedic character. Should I be laughing at Moriarty?

Just need some gravitas to go toe to toe with Sherlock but we'll get that with the updated Milverton, I guess.

January 19, 2014 6:13 pm  #10

We did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2014 6:51 pm  #11

Yeah, if you like canon Moriarty you'll probably gonna love new Milverton more. 

January 19, 2014 10:40 pm  #12

^COOL. Can't wait to see it. The original story had a great ending and I heard this version is, though changed, great.

January 19, 2014 11:21 pm  #13

I honestly don't think I've ever laughed at Moriarty. The guy scares the hell out of me and gives me bad dreams.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 19, 2014 11:37 pm  #14

Moriarty totally worked for me in that I believed him to be a hugely intelligent, very wicked and dangerous man. Great writing and performances.

January 20, 2014 5:37 am  #15

SteveNJ wrote:

Well I have to credit the actor because he fully commited to the role but the babbling, loon-type character is a cliche.

He became a comedic character. Should I be laughing at Moriarty?

Just need some gravitas to go toe to toe with Sherlock but we'll get that with the updated Milverton, I guess.

His committing suicide as a way of winning was REALLY over the top.

January 20, 2014 7:20 am  #16

I thought it was totally in character,for somebody having completely lost their mind.

January 20, 2014 3:11 pm  #17

When his ring tone was Staying Alive you didn't laugh??? 

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I honestly don't think I've ever laughed at Moriarty. The guy scares the hell out of me and gives me bad dreams.

January 20, 2014 4:53 pm  #18

I think he is a brilliant scary villain, but he also makes me laugh!

January 20, 2014 5:01 pm  #19

Yes, me too. Several times.      Or maybe it was just Andrew's brilliant acting, I can't say.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 20, 2014 5:12 pm  #20

Defiinitely the latter.

Board footera