BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2014 11:12 pm  #101

Re: Mary

true, I don't know - but that would certainly redeem her, and would be way better than her just dying randomly for another cause. I suspect it would probably also help John cope, to think that Mary has really turned her life around and become the person he thought she was.

January 13, 2014 11:23 pm  #102

Mary Me wrote:

See, this is the reason why I like this show and this episode in particular. No black and white. You are completely torn and you try to justify why your favorite characters did what they did. Moffat and Gatiss say "Screw that a character can only be accepted if they act morally correctly." It was a very brave thing of them to do. Matter of perspective, again.

I completely agree with this.  Only they could write her as someone with a terrible past who shoots the main character of the show...and still make it possible for the audience to sympathize with her.  She's no villain, anymore than John or Sherlock are.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 13, 2014 11:35 pm  #103

not sure if anyone posted this yet, but.. Mary is an ex assasin who is in love with the Doctor... Holy crap! Mary's real name is River Song... We got the Doctor Who crossover we've always wanted and didn't even realize it.  JK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

January 14, 2014 12:59 am  #104

Well she did work for the CIA but Magnussen tells us that eventually she left government work and started "freelancing", which means killing people for money which is morally despicable any way you put it. 

I do like her character but that doesn't erase the fact that Mary should be in jail, not living a cosy lifestyle with a loving hubby and a baby on the way... and the fact that she didn't really deserve Sherlock's keeping of his "last vow" - basically ending his own life for her (and John, of course. It's all about John.)

January 14, 2014 1:08 am  #105

shezza wrote:

Well she did work for the CIA but Magnussen tells us that eventually she left government work and started "freelancing", which means killing people for money which is morally despicable any way you put it. 

I do like her character but that doesn't erase the fact that Mary should be in jail, not living a cosy lifestyle with a loving hubby and a baby on the way... and the fact that she didn't really deserve Sherlock's keeping of his "last vow" - basically ending his own life for her (and John, of course. It's all about John.)

that's the thing. It's all about John. I think at the end Mary was really a 'case' for Sherlock, and all he did, everything, was only for John. Because that's where his happiness was, and therefore Sherlock had to protect that.

But, if John had said 'it's fine, I don't care about her anymore', Sherlock wouldn't have sacrificed himself.

January 14, 2014 1:34 am  #106

Mary's backstory as CIA/assassin was the only thing that I thought was way over the top in this episode. 

January 14, 2014 2:38 am  #107

In the scene where Mary and Sherlock tell John he fell for Mary because....yeah psycopaths... whatever ....thats what he likes...Hmmmm
Does John have some kind of superpower or ESP we don't know about because otherwise ... how did he know that was what Mary was like??

We obviously must assume that for the last five years , and since she met John especially , she has been a perfectly normal somewhat boring bread baking cat loving part time nurse. Faultlessly . That is the woman John fell for.
He had absolutely no idea she was a lieing highly trained stone cold agent/assasin for hire murdering psycopath. This seems a plot fault, but idk, how did John know. Did she smell of 6 year old danger and not claire de lune perhaps?

Apparently her crimes , murders , were so bad they had Magnussen chuckling with glee, she seemed almost proud of her shooting and that she would/should goto prison for life.hmmmm
For me this seems the complete opposite of everything Sherlock and John are about.

The opening scenes where Johns dreaming of Sherlock and is a little in need of his danger fix , also contradict him getting any kinda danger buzz's from Mary.
Eitherway I think that scene was intended to show that John is already a little unhappy in his marriage, and this huge betrayal from Mary should of been the end of it, but No,, he just doesn't look at the files and sweeps it under the rug.
Whoa denial , I don't get it all but ok, love isn't sane or logical and John obv. wants to believe he loves his wife.

Sherlock.. wow idk I think he must of looked up on the internet, What to do when your best friends marriage is in trouble...saw try to get them to resolve it, and just gone with that. I can't explain his...she saved me comment any other way. She did kill him , and she did look unhappy when she learnt he had recovered.

So ok maybe John and Sherlock are in denial about Mary and letting this go for now .
But why is Mycroft? He must know who shot his little brother, why is he letting some lieing , manipulative, stone cold killer that means nothing to him get away with it? Also she is a danger to him as was shown in this plot as well as to Sherlock! Further , why is nobody even investigating who shot Sherlock?  Not even Lestrade? Isn't Sherlock going to look a bit dim being unable to solve the case of his own shooting?
So hmmmmm.
I do not understand at all why people feel sorry for Mary. Why?
How many people get scared the person they love might stop loving them...all of us sometime hmmm? We don't then immediately think..ok well I will start killing people to stop that ...she had plenty of options open to her, but she reverted to type . Murder.So she will/could/would kill again at any time and anyone.
Incidentally I wonder how she knew Magnusson ...in the plot he is using her to get to john to get to sherlock so he can get to Mycroft right! But as she knows Magnusson and about the blackmail , Magnusson must have contacted her for some reason ? Was she perhaps supposed to nick Mycrofts laptop...idk.?

Eitherway she must go .
I think she will prob die in chilbirth as is the most popular canon theory
Personally I just want John to wake the heck up and just choose No.

Last edited by lil (January 14, 2014 3:12 am)

January 14, 2014 3:16 am  #108

I don't think John has a superpower or anything that  lets him psychically choose "psycopaths" to share his life with. I think it's a little more like this; we often see women who always manage to find the abusive partner. They may get away from the abuse, only to find another abuser the next time around. And again, and again. 

It's more a matter of we gravitate to what we know, what is comfortable for us. John strikes me as someone deperately trying to break his own pattern of un-normality. Maybe that's why he's so shaken by this. (And of course, Mary shot Sherlock and lied to him since the beginning...) 

Are they even legally married?  Yeesh. 

January 14, 2014 3:38 am  #109

lil wrote:

In the scene where Mary and Sherlock tell John he fell for Mary because....yeah psycopaths... whatever ....thats what he likes...Hmmmm
Does John have some kind of superpower or ESP we don't know about because otherwise ... how did he know that was what Mary was like??

We obviously must assume that for the last five years , and since she met John especially , she has been a perfectly normal somewhat boring bread baking cat loving part time nurse. Faultlessly . That is the woman John fell for.
He had absolutely no idea she was a lieing highly trained stone cold agent/assasin for hire murdering psycopath. This seems a plot fault, but idk, how did John know. Did she smell of 6 year old danger and not claire de lune perhaps?

Apparently her crimes , murders , were so bad they had Magnussen chuckling with glee, she seemed almost proud of her shooting and that she would/should goto prison for life.hmmmm
For me this seems the complete opposite of everything Sherlock and John are about.

The opening scenes where Johns dreaming of Sherlock and is a little in need of his danger fix , also contradict him getting any kinda danger buzz's from Mary.
Eitherway I think that scene was intended to show that John is already a little unhappy in his marriage, and this huge betrayal from Mary should of been the end of it, but No,, he just doesn't look at the files and sweeps it under the rug.
Whoa denial , I don't get it all but ok, love isn't sane or logical and John obv. wants to believe he loves his wife.

Sherlock.. wow idk I think he must of looked up on the internet, What to do when your best friends marriage is in trouble...saw try to get them to resolve it, and just gone with that. I can't explain his...she saved me comment any other way. She did kill him , and she did look unhappy when she learnt he had recovered.

So ok maybe John and Sherlock are in denial about Mary and letting this go for now .
But why is Mycroft? He must know who shot his little brother, why is he letting some lieing , manipulative, stone cold killer that means nothing to him get away with it? Also she is a danger to him as was shown in this plot as well as to Sherlock! Further , why is nobody even investigating who shot Sherlock?  Not even Lestrade? Isn't Sherlock going to look a bit dim being unable to solve the case of his own shooting?
So hmmmmm.
How many people get scared the person they love might stop loving them...all of us sometime hmmm? We don't then immediately think..ok well I will start killing people to stop that ...she had plenty of options open to her, but she reverted to type . Murder.So she will/could/would kill again at any time and anyone.
Incidentally I wonder how she knew Magnusson ...in the plot he is using her to get to john to get to sherlock so he can get to Mycroft right! But as she knows Magnusson and about the blackmail , Magnusson must have contacted her for some reason ? Was she perhaps supposed to nick Mycrofts laptop...idk.?

Eitherway she must go .

You've put in words a lot of what I've been thinking. I'm having a hard time suspending my disbelief that Mary's lies wouldn't be a deal-breaker for John. Maybe if she weren't pregnant it would have been easier for him to walk away. Well just have to see what Moffat comes up with for the next series.

January 14, 2014 3:43 am  #110

lil wrote:

But why is Mycroft? He must know who shot his little brother, why is he letting some lieing , manipulative, stone cold killer that means nothing to him get away with it? Also she is a danger to him as was shown in this plot as well as to Sherlock! Further , why is nobody even investigating who shot Sherlock? Not even Lestrade? Isn't Sherlock going to look a bit dim being unable to solve the case of his own shooting?
So hmmmmm.

Eitherway she must go .

No idea why you think Mycroft would know.  The only people who knew were Sherlock, John, Mary and CAM, and none of them were talking for obvious reasons.  Mycroft is good, but if Sherlock wants to keep a secret from him, he will.

I don't feel sorry for Mary...I empathize with her.  Not the same thing.  Meaning that, if I were in her situation, I would do what she has done.  Most criminals don't become criminals because they are evil...they become criminals because they have no choice.  If she really is an orphan, and I think that she is, that would say a lot about who she is and why she has done what she has done.  The fact that she has tried to change her life and turn it around says a lot about her character, because that is something that is extremely, extremely hard to do for people in her situation.  It's not about whether or not you would ever become an assassin in the first place...it's about what you would do if you HAD been an assassin and don't want to be one anymore.  That's why I like her.  She made a change in her life for the better.  Most people never do that.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 14, 2014 3:55 am)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

January 14, 2014 3:45 am  #111

LoveBug54 wrote:

lil wrote:

But why is Mycroft? He must know who shot his little brother, why is he letting some lieing , manipulative, stone cold killer that means nothing to him get away with it? Also she is a danger to him as was shown in this plot as well as to Sherlock! Further , why is nobody even investigating who shot Sherlock? Not even Lestrade? Isn't Sherlock going to look a bit dim being unable to solve the case of his own shooting?
So hmmmmm.

Eitherway she must go .

You've put in words a lot of what I've been thinking. I'm having a hard time suspending my disbelief that Mary's lies wouldn't be a deal-breaker for John. Maybe if she weren't pregnant it would have been easier for him to walk away. Well just have to see what Moffat comes up with for the next series.

Agreed!

January 14, 2014 4:10 am  #112

@S4jiy...Apart from the fact that Mycroft knows everything..
The fact that Mary/John have a large domestic, at exactly the same time that Sherlock gets shot, and the fact that Sherlock and John are lieing about what happened and are protecting the shootera nd the fact that Sherlock s first word on waking was Mary...the fact that Sherlock would only protect John and hmmm maybe Mary...
Well it's looking like a very easy deduction for anyone , never mind Mycroft isn't it?

Mary may have tried to change...but she hasn't has she in the end.
Otherwise what is it Johns esp is picking up.
And what did her I will keep him in trouble comment mean at the end,?
Is she going to take John out contract killing to get his danger fix.....

Last edited by lil (January 14, 2014 4:16 am)

January 14, 2014 4:16 am  #113

sj4iy wrote:

I don't feel sorry for Mary...I empathize with her.  Not the same thing.  Meaning that, if I were in her situation, I would do what she has done.  Most criminals don't become criminals because they are evil...they become criminals because they have no choice.  If she really is an orphan, and I think that she is, that would say a lot about who she is and why she has done what she has done.  The fact that she has tried to change her life and turn it around says a lot about her character, because that is something that is extremely, extremely hard to do for people in her situation.  It's not about whether or not you would ever become an assassin in the first place...it's about what you would do if you HAD been an assassin and don't want to be one anymore.  That's why I like her.  She made a change in her life for the better.  Most people never do that.

There are call-backs to Soo Lin Yao here as well. Sherlock was (for Season 1 Sherlock) very empathetic towards her plight and her desire to better herself and get herself out of a situation she'd virtually been forced into.

We don't know Mary's backstory like we learned Soo Lin Yao's so we've no idea how she ended up where she did. We only know that she's worked very fucking hard to carve out a new life for herself in the past five years and she saw that threatened, first by Magnussen and then by Sherlock when he saw her there ready to murder CAM.

She was cornered prey and she lashed out.

This is why I don't understand people who don't understand why Sherlock was so quick to forgive her. He understood her and he empathised with her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2014 4:28 am  #114

lil wrote:

The fact that Mary/John have a large domestic, at exactly the same time that Sherlock gets shot, and the fact that Sherlock and John are lieing about what happened and are protecting the shootera nd the fact that Sherlock s first word on waking was Mary...the fact that Sherlock would only protect John and hmmm maybe Mary...
Well it's looking like a very easy deduction for anyone , never mind Mycroft isn't it?

The thing is she hasn't changed though, she must have been planning the murder for a very long time, thats why she cultivated the friendship with the receptionist, her matron of honour isn't even a real friend?

Yes , we don't know her background and maybe we would emphasize,  but isnt that the abuse excuse? Bad things may have happened to her, but does that mean she can do worse to everyone else...I don't think so.

January 14, 2014 4:54 am  #115

lil wrote:

lil wrote:

The thing is she hasn't changed though, she must have been planning the murder for a very long time, thats why she cultivated the friendship with the receptionist, her matron of honour isn't even a real friend?

Yes , we don't know her background and maybe we would emphasize, but isnt that the abuse excuse? Bad things may have happened to her, but does that mean she can do worse to everyone else...I don't think so.

Thank you. Wholeheartedly agree.

January 14, 2014 5:14 am  #116

I got the impression she cultivated the PA as a backup. I don't think she intended to go after CAM until he a) sent her a congratulations on her wedding and then b) Sherlock was going after him. I think she chose to act then because she was afraid that if Sherlock went after CAM, he would find the information CAM was holding on her.

If she'd "always" been intending on going after CAM, she would have done it a long time ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 14, 2014 5:15 am  #117

lil wrote:

He doesn't, and we've seen Sherlock completely screw up his plans before.  If he knew 'everything', Sherlock wouldn't have been able to give away state secrets to terrorists in "Scandel".  Sherlock also knicked his very high security passcode card in "Hounds" and drugged him in this episode.  Just because he's smart and has a high-ranking job doesn't actually mean he's omniscient.

How would he know?  It really wasn't that large.  John kicked a chair and they talked for a few minutes before Sherlock collapsed and was taken back to hospital.  Sherlock, John nor Mary certainly would have not said anything to Mycroft about it, so I'm still at a loss as to how he would actually know.

Just because you change your job and your habits doesn't mean you change your personality.  Only certain type of people would be attracted to that sort of work in the first place, and Mary was that sort of person, obviously.  John was attracted to that.

And she did change.  Tell me: what exactly was she, or anyone else, supposed to do when faced with a man like Magnussen?  Someone who ruins peoples' lives for power, who can make up anything he likes and prints it in a newspaper the next day.  Who is untouchable by the law.  Like Magnussen said...he didn't need proof, he worked in news.  Even the prospect of ruination like that could make the squeakiest-clean preacher turn into a killer.  Mary's mistake wasn't that she tried to kill Magnussen, or even that she shot Sherlock...it was that she was so scared of losing John that she tried to take care of it herself instead of trusting Sherlock to help her.  It's a completely understandable fear, since she does nearly lose him.  And it's completely understandable that she wouldn't trust Sherlock, because people in her line of work rarely trust anyone.  The fact that she could ever learn to trust John enough to love and marry him goes a long way towards showing her rehabilitation.  Like John said...her past is her problem.  He doesn't want to focus on it, and wants to move forward.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 14, 2014 5:18 am)

January 14, 2014 5:19 am  #118

I think the idea that Mycroft would have deduced it all because he is even smarter than Sherlock is flawed. To deduce her, Mycroft would have had to care to do so. I really don't see him bothering.

January 14, 2014 5:28 am  #119

Wholocked wrote:

I think the idea that Mycroft would have deduced it all because he is even smarter than Sherlock is flawed. To deduce her, Mycroft would have had to care to do so. I really don't see him bothering.

Basically this.  To Mycroft, Mary was just the wife of his brother's best friend.  She really wouldn't have come up on his radar.  And Mycroft's not the type to go searching for his brother's would-be murderer under any circumstances.  So yeah...he just wouldn't care either way.

And of course, there would be nothing to glean from even hearing about a fight at Baker Street, because that place doesn't stay quiet even in the best of times.

Last edited by sj4iy (January 14, 2014 5:30 am)

January 14, 2014 6:15 am  #120

When an ambulance takes a person with a gunshot wound from cams office to the hospital....one of the first things done...is to call the police and next of kin.
So..the investigation starts immediatly, and so does Mycrofts involvement.
Sherlock may be able to lie , but can John?
It seemed to be indicated that John had moved back to Baker St for a time, thats why Sherlock invited them all to his family christmas thing, in an effort to reconcile them. Mycroft was there before they reconciled , Mary's , oh we are talking now comment makes me think they hadn't been before for some time.
Many things make me think Mycroft must know, but sure we can disagree, thats nps.

There are a lot of things mentioned already in this thread that mary could of done.
Some faves are , why didnt she put John and everyone else b4 herself and just leave , vanish , start again somewhere else when cam contacted her first. He first contacted her a long time ago , months b4 the wedding. She hadn't known John, what a year yet then?But she stayed, putting everyone she knew in danger and started plotting a murder.
Smallwoods husband, seems in the papers that he commited suicide rather than allow himself and his wife be blackmailed/used by cam.
She could of told John! Ok he prob would not still be with her... but he would be safe. She puts her own needs first.
When she shot sherlock , he said it was surgery,,, it wasn't panic , she is a trained agent killer, they don't panic , or lash out, they act best in theese situ's, so as mentioned why didn't she shoot cam and pistol whip sherlock then leave/escape...and threaten him to keep quiet later. Odd she shoots him , and then when he has recovered she threatens him.. don't tell John. Hmm
Third, whatever cam was asking her to do... which looks like it was compromise Mycroft somehow...well try that , or is risking giving info on Mycroft a harder choice than...keeping everyone we love compromised and in danger while planning murder the better option.
Just a few of the many things she could have done thought up in idk one evening.
She had months to plan/Choose something other than murder.

If you think Mary is a likable nice good for John person... great I am sure you have reasons for that.Care to share them?
For me the only true thing , and good thing we know about her is she loves John.
But it's a kinda messed up love , because she doesn't love him more than herself, or enough to be honest with him.

Last edited by lil (January 14, 2014 6:30 am)

Board footera