BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 11, 2014 6:07 pm  #141

Re: John? Out of character?

Just one thing - the cigarettes in mouth scene was a flashback, wasn't it? From the time he tried to find out John's middle name? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 11, 2014 6:43 pm  #142

"For example, in the scene where Sherlock has a whole packet of cigarettes in his mouth. Sherlock smoking is never a good sign (as we know from SIB). He knows it's not good - in TEH he even says to Lestrade "these things will kill you". So the Drama Queen probably thinks he's demonstrating in a highly dramatic way that he's going to go to waste if John doesn't pay attention to him. And John is still ignoring him.
While John probably thinks, Oh this crazy detective. Now he's stuffed his mouth full of cigarettes. Well, he's always been a bit weird. But I'm glad he's back. John just doesn't get what's going on."

This scene acatually took place in a flash back to the very early days of John living with Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 11, 2014 6:48 pm  #143

Ok, sorry.
(I deleted the post.)

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (February 11, 2014 7:17 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

February 12, 2014 6:41 pm  #144

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but when Sherlock asks Mycroft for a moment, John gives a big sigh.

It looks to me as if he's trying to keep his emotions in check. That's the way I was acting throughout the episode, heaving big breaths and trying not to go into hysterics.

Last edited by MahnSherlolly03 (February 12, 2014 6:43 pm)

February 12, 2014 7:15 pm  #145

Well it was at that point that Sherlock stated he was unlikely to see John again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 12, 2014 7:50 pm  #146

And, of course, the point where John was unwilling to admit that he had no input into choosing the name of his child because Mary had forbidden it; I have to say that was the point where I finally gave up on him...

February 12, 2014 8:01 pm  #147

He didn't say Mary had forbidden it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 13, 2014 2:59 am  #148

Mary just said he couldn't choose the name on his own.

February 13, 2014 7:50 am  #149

Ozma wrote:

yes. But that He would choose her over Sherlock is hardly a betrayal – he is married after all and therefore has got to live with her. Not much choice there. Even IF he didn’t love her, unless he wanted a divorce he would still need to live with her.
I find it quite interesting instead that, according to Bill’s deduction at the beginning, John is feeling restless already in his married life and has a suitcase ready? That is telling – possibly of how much he misses his buddy.
I guess this has changed now seeing as Mary has revealed herself to be quite interesting in terms of adrenaline and thrills…

I keep reading this bit about the suitcase on this site and a sign he's restless with Mary.

Bills deduction regarding the shirt merely was that he bikes to work now. He keeps his clothes folded - ready to pack - because he dresses for work at work (I believe he deduced showers there as well)

Because he bike rides to work - who wants a sweaty doctor? His clothes are folded to pack for work not to run out on Mary in the middle of the night.

However he is restless without action and cases- his addiction. Which is why he bike rides probably or over eats?  They mention the weight gain , maybe drinks?

He's trying to burn off the anxious energy (or the lbs from the boredom eating or drinking) bc he's addicted to thrill.

He's not unhappy with Mary he just misses "cluing for looks"

Which is also partly why he's so pissed when he finds sherlock- he's been left out of a mission.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 13, 2014 7:54 am  #150

Ozma wrote:

yes. But that He would choose her over Sherlock is hardly a betrayal – he is married after all and therefore has got to live with her. Not much choice there. Even IF he didn’t love her, unless he wanted a divorce he would still need to live with her.
I find it quite interesting instead that, according to Bill’s deduction at the beginning, John is feeling restless already in his married life and has a suitcase ready? That is telling – possibly of how much he misses his buddy.
I guess this has changed now seeing as Mary has revealed herself to be quite interesting in terms of adrenaline and thrills…

I keep reading this bit about the suitcase on this site and a sign he's restless with Mary.

Bills deduction regarding the shirt merely was that he bikes to work now. He keeps his clothes folded - ready to pack - because he dresses for work at work (I believe he deduced showers there as well)

Because he bike rides to work - who wants a sweaty doctor? His clothes are folded to pack for work not to run out on Mary in the middle of the night.

However he is restless without action and cases- his addiction. Which is why he bike rides probably or over eats?  They mention the weight gain , maybe drinks?

He's trying to burn off the anxious energy (or the lbs from the boredom eating or drinking) bc he's addicted to thrill.

He's not unhappy with Mary he just misses "cluing for looks"

Which is also partly why he's so pissed when he finds sherlock- he's been left out of a mission.

February 13, 2014 8:12 am  #151

Ozma wrote:

Well, the thing is - I really go by what Mary herself said.

She knows who John was and is, she knows Sherlock and what they do. Yet she says, 'Don't read the file here, because once you've read it you won't love me anymore'.

Don't forget she knows what she's done and we don't. The fact that she says something like this makes me think that what she's done is very terrible indeed.

Magnussen
Talks about the wet jobs - assassinations and then says about her going rogue "free lancing" . That would not have been CIA so probably a hired assassin - outside of the law.

February 13, 2014 8:34 am  #152

I'm really unsure about both John and Mary at the moment, and what's going on with them.
When she says to John that if he reads the file, he won't love her any more, it seems at face value that she means it, but equally she could be manipulating him - playing on his emotions so that he doesn't read it.

Equally, their reunion scene seemed touching and real, but there's still the possibility that John didn't burn the real memory stick.

Certainly, when Magnussen was threatening her and talking about what he knew, John looked very emotional, so at this stage he does SEEM to still be in love with her.

Last edited by Tinks (February 13, 2014 8:35 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 13, 2014 10:50 pm  #153

Tinks wrote:

I'm really unsure about both John and Mary at the moment, and what's going on with them.
When she says to John that if he reads the file, he won't love her any more, it seems at face value that she means it, but equally she could be manipulating him - playing on his emotions so that he doesn't read it.

I don't think Mary is as manipulative as some people think. I mean yes she obviously lied about her past. But if you had a secret that would make your husband/wife or loved one stop loving you would you want to watch that? I know I couldn't. I think she knew it would break her heart to watch him stop loving her and she didn't want to face it.

================================================================

February 13, 2014 10:55 pm  #154

I think Mary's on really shaky ground. I don't think she really knows what she's doing. She should have known better than to:
keep her stupid assassian outfit
wear claire-de-la-lun on the day she might have to go kill CAM
try to do any of that crap while she was pregnant
shoot Sherlock (at least in the place that she shot him)
try to intimidate Sherlock

I mean, gosh, Mary. I thought you were meant to be clever.

February 13, 2014 11:53 pm  #155

The dialogue is John says 'I get to choose the baby's name', to which Mary says 'Not a chance', followed by John saying 'OK'.

I really don't see how that can be construed as anything other than Mary issuing an order followed by John immediately complying with her demand.

February 13, 2014 11:56 pm  #156

John issues an order, Mary refuses, John backs off. "Not a chance" is not an order.

February 14, 2014 12:18 am  #157

^ Does any mother to be ever let the husband pick the name? Surely it's always a team effort.

February 14, 2014 12:19 am  #158

Willow wrote:

The dialogue is John says 'I get to choose the baby's name', to which Mary says 'Not a chance', followed by John saying 'OK'.

I really don't see how that can be construed as anything other than Mary issuing an order followed by John immediately complying with her demand.

It means he doesn't get to choose the name singularly. She doesn't say they can't both decide on it, that she's the one who will choose and he gets no input.

People are just out for her at this point 😆

February 14, 2014 12:25 am  #159

Wiggins wrote:

Willow wrote:

It means he doesn't get to choose the name singularly. She doesn't say they can't both decide on it, that she's the one who will choose and he gets no input.

People are just out for her at this point 😆

Yes, thank you.

February 14, 2014 12:30 am  #160

MahnSherlolly03 wrote:

I think Mary's on really shaky ground. I don't think she really knows what she's doing. She should have known better than to:
keep her stupid assassian outfit
wear claire-de-la-lun on the day she might have to go kill CAM
try to do any of that crap while she was pregnant
shoot Sherlock (at least in the place that she shot him)
try to intimidate Sherlock

I mean, gosh, Mary. I thought you were meant to be clever.

Sorry I feel like I need to defend Mary a bit here:
-She probably held onto her assassian gear in case someone from her past caught up with her... or she just popped down to the local army depot store.
-She more than likely worked that morning so would have worn the perfume then. After you wear perfume long enough you don't really smell it on yourself but other people can still smell it on you.
-She was scared that John would find out the truth so she felt like she had to other choice but to break into CAM's office. Also being pregnant isn't debilitating (especially in the early stages) so it wouldn't have effected her.
-She never planned to kill Sherlock. Just knock him out of the game for a bit. Like Sherlock said - if she killed him then CAM, John would be the main suspect. If she killed Sherlock and just injured CAM that wouldn't stop him releasing what he knew (and remember at this time everyone thought there was phyical evidence rather than mindpalace evidence). Wounding Sherlock and knocking CAM out was her best option at the time.
-Mary knew that Sherlock cared a lot for John so she was banking on Sherlock not wanting to hurt John. Also Sherlock now knew Mary was a trained killer so obviously he had to be careful. She didn't bank on John doing some deductions of his own.

I think she knew what she was doing but she was in a desperate place. She didn't want to lose John, whom she loved greatly, and didn't see any other option if CAM came out with details of her past.

Board footera