BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2014 3:21 pm  #181

Re: German air date

Sorry but what the f... is "Britishness"???
Do they put it on the same level with eccentricity? Ok, Sherlock may be a kind of but John?
Such a poor poor explanation

Last edited by gently69 (April 25, 2014 3:22 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 25, 2014 3:27 pm  #182

Yes, very disappointing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 25, 2014 3:31 pm  #183

Oh my...

The fact that they still 'siezen' each other after everything they've gone through makes it all seem so... ridiculous, absurd even. Yes, they might not be 'average' people per se, but that doesn't forbid them to switch to "du" at some point, right?

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

April 25, 2014 3:35 pm  #184

The answer shows that they do not understand what the show is about. That it is not an average crime show and why the BBC puts it in the British Drama section. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 25, 2014 3:41 pm  #185

They are fixed on a version of the show situated in the Victorian era ... where it was Holmes and Watson instead of Sherlock and John. They just don't get it that they destroy the chemistry with this damn Sie .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 25, 2014 4:00 pm  #186

Thank you, Susi for writing to the ARD.
"Britishness". Hmm. And I was thinking "42" was the answer to everything...
Well, at least we will have loads of fun watching TSoT with the best man siezing the bride and groom and their baby.
But excuse my biting the tabletop while watching...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 25, 2014 5:30 pm  #187

Btw about translation, I was wondering about the scene when John thinks Sherlock's parents are clients. Sherlock definately has to say du to his parents so there won't be the same misunderstanding

TeeJay wrote:

gently69 wrote:

There are many English words which I use regularly and don't even think of using the German ones. Cancel, call, location, event, schedule ... and sometimes I get strange views then.

It's worse at work because our working language is English, and no one uses the German words for things like "meeting", "Outlook appointment", "review", "approve", etc. Sometimes you get these really strange Anglo-German mix phrases, like, "Ich reviewe die Submission noch und werde sie noch vor dem Call approven."

Yeah also used to work at a company where I talked English all the time, dreaming and thinking in English then...

@Susi: The answer is ridiculous...

SusiGo wrote:

The answer shows that they do not understand what the show is about. That it is not an average crime show and why the BBC puts it in the British Drama section. 

Yes it does. I thought they want to change it, but maybe they are just to stupid to get it....

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 26, 2014 1:58 pm  #188

Susi, wow, thanks for writing to the ARD and getting this ridiculous explanation, straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. And since I consider myself to be a very eccentric person, too, from now on I will say "Sie" instead of "Du", to all of you.

Seriously, it's interesting... yesterday I was in a huge book store and started to read a bit in the Sherlock casebook (in German it's the "Fallsammlungen"). The book is pretty crappy, but they mention why Moffat and Gatiss decided to have Sherlock and John address each other as "Sherlock" and "John" and not as "Mister Holmes" and "Doctor Watson". And in my opinion you can easily transfer this to the "Sie" and "Du"... Moffat and Gatiss thought that formality wasn't what they wanted for the show, they wanted something else. And maybe someone should inform the ARD about this, because when we're talking about formality and Moffat and Gatiss not wanting this formality for the show... well, then having them say "Sie" changes the whole tone of the show as it was conceived.

Well then, let's prepare for some pretty ridiculous and not at all touching scenes when watching those dubbed episodes...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 26, 2014 2:52 pm  #189

Oh, that's interesting, I can't remember that - have to re-read my casebook.
Btw: you find it crappy? I like it pretty much! Have the English original book and the German version on my Kindle.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 26, 2014 2:56 pm  #190

I will have a look at the casebook and maybe write again to ARD, being an annoying dick and all that. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 26, 2014 3:04 pm)

April 26, 2014 3:03 pm  #191

Don't have the case book is it worth the money?

Yeah it would be cool if you quote (or take a photo of) the case book and show that to the ARD...

"Das Erste" or maybe "Das Letzte"? ;)

April 26, 2014 3:05 pm  #192

I do not think the quote would change anything as it is directed at a British audience:

"What do they call each other?" asks Steven. "It was immediately obvious they couldn't refer to each other by their surnames."
It has always been Holmes and Watson, in the stories; the idea of "Sherlock" and "John" at first feels against the grain. 
"It takes a lot of getting used to", Steven agrees, "but the alternative would have been awful. It would have made them sound like public schoolboys, it would have made them sound boorish."

April 26, 2014 4:04 pm  #193

Mh yes ARD won't get that...
Thank god, I watched the 3rd series on BBC and figured out, how much better the original is...

Last edited by zeratul (April 26, 2014 6:48 pm)

April 26, 2014 7:05 pm  #194

Even with all their flaws, I don't like that ARD bashing. After all, they are broadcasting it - for which I am really grateful, because otherwise I would have never heard of BBC Sherlock or Benedict or you guys. So, I think it's ok to criticize them (they surely deserve it), but to act as if they are complete morons seems a bit unfair to me. Complete morons would have ignored the show.

Last edited by Harriet (April 26, 2014 7:55 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 26, 2014 7:52 pm  #195

I agree with you, Harriet. I have always defended the dubbing. It is a fact that - apart from the "Sie" - they are not too stupid to do it better but are faced with enormous odds in the original scripts. And I discovered it on German TV like you did (and many of us, I suppose). 

April 26, 2014 8:08 pm  #196

Yes maybe I was too harsh and I discovered Sherlock on ARD, but I am still sad, that I didn't get the emotions through the dubbing.

April 26, 2014 8:11 pm  #197

That is a sad thing indeed. They could have done better.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 26, 2014 8:26 pm  #198

And the thing is - there are many really difficult things but the form of address was no problem at all and they got it wrong. 

April 26, 2014 8:29 pm  #199

WRONG wrong WRONG wrong WRONG WRONG    

Last edited by Harriet (April 26, 2014 8:31 pm)

April 26, 2014 8:33 pm  #200

DU
ARD slipped up. They made a mistake. Because the one word they thought didn’t matter at all to us was the one word that mattered the most. 

Board footera