BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2014 5:29 pm  #41

Re: Johnlock

Sherlock mentioned his violin in series 1, episode 1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 27, 2014 5:30 pm  #42

And he composed the most beautiful piece for irene in S2E1

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 27, 2014 11:09 pm  #43

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

Did we have any indication before this that Sherlock could dance? Or play the violin, for that matter? (That one is from canon, and he has been known in canon to serenade his Watson, sometimes even to sleep. But I don't think he's ever danced in canon...hasn't been to enough social events.)

I have no memory of his ever dancing-- in fact, it's an intriguing thought, since (to me) it doesn't mesh with what they've shown us about his interests in the past.

But the violin, oh, yeah, that was all over S1 and 2. Sherlock was playing the violin as Moriarty made his way up the stairs at 221B after being released from jail in TRF. He played violin on Christmas Eve in Scandal in Belgravia. In A Study in Pink, when John was looking over the flat, Sherlock asked him if he minded violin music, since he'd be playing-- I believe he said something like "it helps me think", if I'm not mistaken.

January 27, 2014 11:28 pm  #44

ancientsgate wrote:

Johnlock forever. Done. Nothing that happens or doesn't happen, whoever comes along or doesn't come along, nothing will ever change the love between those two men. With or without sex, the two of them have the deepest of connections and always will, and to me, that's true Johnlock. *happy sigh*

There were some delicious Johnlock moments in this episode. I could kiss Moffat for writing what he did, not just Sherlock-John interactions but also showing us a more human, more likeable, funnier Sherlock, one who doesn't always come up with answers to every damned thing, seemingly out of the ether. I LIKE this Sherlock way more than any they've shown us up to now, and he and John are just lovely together--  They always were, but now it's....deeper.

The best man speech was totally too long, disjointed, silly and almost stoopid in parts-- like something out of a slapstick vaudeville skit. But at the heart of it, Sherlock's esteeming his friend, using the L word to describe what he felt for him, and then John pushing back his chair and reaching out to hug him, OMG, I cried real tears.

I cried again when Sherlock played the violin while J/M danced.

And when the three of them were discussing the pregnancy, at one point, John reached up and cupped his hand around the back of Sherlock's neck.  It's okay, mate, the three of us will get through this, together....  both of their faces were beautiful pieces of work.

Love, love, love...   it makes the world go 'round, and yes, it comes in all shapes and sizes. Johnlock forever. Done.

I could actually imagine John and Mary having an...understanding about Sherlock...that would keep the Johnlock ship from sinking.

January 27, 2014 11:32 pm  #45

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I could actually imagine John and Mary having an...understanding about Sherlock...that would keep the Johnlock ship from sinking.

This has been explored in various fanfics, of course. I read one that was so well-done, it actually was enjoyable. I started reading it with trepedation because threesomes don't interest me, but the author was very skilled, loved all three of her characters, and it was okay.  It wasn't about Mary turning a blind eye while John took up with Sherlock, this particular story was about the three of them cohabitating and their relationships being stronger for it. I'm making it sound kinky, but it wasn't.

January 28, 2014 12:31 am  #46

Not sure an actual menage a tois with the three of them fits my head canon; but, if we must have Mary, I wouldn't mind Johnlock fan fiction where Mary turns a blind eye or, like SherlockinOH says, there's an understanding.  She's already quite understanding, isn't she? I did love the bit at the wedding, when Sherlock is all jealous of John's attention to Major Sholto (sp?). and Mary says, "Oh Sherlock, neither of us was the first, you know." LOL!  I said it on the Forum in some thread or other that John Watson is the luckiest man in the world.  All his needs are being met, physically, mentally, and emotionally by these two people.  Look at them at the wedding -during pictures, greeting people, the head table - it's always John in the middle between Mary and Sherlock.

As for the dancing, I'm not sure if it's anywhere in canon, but I think, just maybe, that was a tip of the hat to the Guy Ritchie/RDJ/Jude Law film "Game of Shadows" where Holmes and Watson actually dance together at a ball and you learn that Holmes taught Watson how to dance at Baker Street.  I loved that scene - they're waltzing around in each other's arms and no one at this dignified party bats an eye.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 28, 2014 1:01 am  #47

ancientsgate wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

This has been explored in various fanfics, of course. I read one that was so well-done, it actually was enjoyable. I started reading it with trepedation because threesomes don't interest me, but the author was very skilled, loved all three of her characters, and it was okay.  It wasn't about Mary turning a blind eye while John took up with Sherlock, this particular story was about the three of them cohabitating and their relationships being stronger for it. I'm making it sound kinky, but it wasn't.

I know this isn't the fic rec thread, but AG, could you message me a link to that fic?  Pretty Please!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 28, 2014 1:11 am  #48

tonnaree wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I know this isn't the fic rec thread, but AG, could you message me a link to that fic?  Pretty Please!

I'd be happy to, if I knew what in heck it was. I read it months ago. I'll take a glance at the Johnlock fan fic thread and see if I can find it, and if I do, I'll let you know.

January 28, 2014 1:14 am  #49

I confess I wasn't absolutely sure what to make of the "not the first" line, given that we're supposed to believe John was never having sex with Sherlock. So, in his case, first what?

Mary wasn't the first bed-partner, and Sherlock wasn't the first brooding, loner male he made friends with?

Actually, we were led to believe in the first two seasons that John was very alone in the world...but unlike Sherlock, he's had other "bromances" of sorts, or some kind of male friendships? I guess in the army he'd get to be close to the other guys.

January 28, 2014 3:09 am  #50

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

I confess I wasn't absolutely sure what to make of the "not the first" line, given that we're supposed to believe John was never having sex with Sherlock. So, in his case, first what?

God a'mighty damn, folks -- are we still not clear yet on the sexual orientation of John H. Watson and Sherlock Holmes?

They've beat this dead horse for three damn years and we still have people on this board who want to make the "love" between these two good old boys mean they curl up in bed together and do things to each other that straight guys do with their girl friends!

Sorry, folks, but they DON'T!  They never have, and they never will!

Why am I so sure?  Because John Watson has repeatedly told everybody in London that "I am not gay!"

I believe him.  After all, John met Mary, he dated Mary, he fell in love with Mary, he had sex with Mary, he got Mary pregnant, and then he married her.  If that doesn't prove John is straight, I don't know what does.

Prior to that, Sherlock gazed upon Irene Adler dressed in nothing but high heels and went google-eyed at the sight, demonstrating a strong sexual attraction to this sexy lady.  He ogled her with such devotion that he memorized her measurements!  I knew just what he was feeling . . . because I go gewgaw over sexy ladies just like he did -- especially if they're wearing high hells.

Later Sherlock risked his life to save her in the Middle East, partly because his cell phone made sexy sounds whenever she called him. And later still he visualized her during his mind palace in The Sign of Three -- while she smiled at him seductively before he order her erotic image to leave him alone.

Trust me, ladies and gentlemen, gay men don't have problems like this.  But straight men have them all the time. I should know, because I'm one of them.

So, please stop assuming that these two good friends have any interest in getting inside each other's personal space.  They're friends.  That's it.

I rest my case.

Last edited by Bruce Cook (January 28, 2014 4:16 pm)

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 28, 2014 8:30 am  #51

Bruce Cook wrote:

...Trust me, ladies and gentlemen, gay men don't have problems like this.  But straight men have them all the time. I should know, because I'm one of them. So, please stop assuming that these two good friends have any interesting in getting inside each other's personal space.  They're friends.  That's it. I rest my case.

Relax, Bruce. We're just a bunch of women having fun with our fantasies about two hot men together in "that way". Since you make such a big point about your own straight orientation, I can ask you, in all honesy--- you've never had erotic fantasies about two hot women in the same bed? C'mon, if you say no, seriously, I won't believe you.

So if the idea of Sherlock and John making the leap to romance, based on their friendship, doesn't turn your crank, well...  so be it. But that doesn't make the idea wrong-headed, just because you don't get it and it offends your straight-ness.

You are mucho in the minority gender on this board, if you haven't noticed. So don't be surprised when you come face to face with female points of view about any of the Sherlock subject matter. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't need anyone, male or female, to come on the board and tell me to "stop" doing anything, especially on a thread that's clearly titled JOHNLOCK--  if someone's ever out of line, we have several more-than-capable mods to take care of it, so you can relax and leave the monitoring and correcting up to them, if it's ever needed.

The easy solution to your... problem?.... would be for you to stay well far away from any thread with the word Johnlock in its title, don'tcha think? This is a huge board and probably 90% of it or more is Johnlock-free, I imagine. Please leave us in peace. Thanks.

January 28, 2014 8:37 am  #52

Bruce Cook wrote:

Why am I so sure?  Because John Watson has repeatedly told everybody in London that "I am not gay!" 

I personally hope the writers stop writing that line for him and making the actor say it. As you say, enough is enough of that. OK, we get it already. 

And that's why we have our fan fic and fan art, to indulge our fantasies in the privacy of our own heads and hearts. Those who like Johnlock can go there, those who don't can stay away. Nice to have the choice, eh? To stab fan fic and fan art in the heart and tell it all to drop off the face of the earth is artistic censorship at its worse.

But finally, surely you are familiar with the old Shakespearean line from Hamlet, "The lady doth protest too much."  Maybe in your straight-ness you haven't had close gay friends, but my understanding is that there is more than a little flailing around out there on the part of some gay guys, especially when face to face with straight men who have critical attitudes about the gay lifestyle. "No! No, of course I'm not gay! I have a girlfriend, I have a wife, I have six children, look at me! Not gay! Noooooooo!"  And then they're divorced and finally come out of the closet at age 40 or 50 or something.  It DOES happen. In John's case, I have to wonder-- OK, OK.... so he says he's "not gay" over and over and over again-- doth he protest too much?  lol, just playing devil's advocate here. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited by ancientsgate (January 28, 2014 8:59 am)

January 28, 2014 8:54 am  #53

Oh it's not only about fantasies. I am actually quite sure that John & Sherlock are very much in love with each other, but have to figure it out. The existence of Mary as John's wife proves exactly nothing.

The Game is On!

January 28, 2014 8:58 am  #54

Marva wrote:

Oh it's not only about fantasies. I am actually quite sure that John & Sherlock are very much in love with each other, but have to figure it out. The existence of Mary as John's wife proves exactly nothing.

Matter of opinion, of course. As a dyed-in-the-wool Johnlocker, I'm not sure I even want the writers to go there with them in the actual show. Frankly, I don't trust TPTB to handle it the way I'd want it handled, and to me, it'd be better if it just continued along the same vein it's been doing, and leave the true Johnlock to fan fic and fan art.

And oh yes, I really do think it's all about our fantasies. Absolutely. You might call it something else, but....  we are all having a helluva wonderful time in our own heads about Johnlock, so.... fantasy.

January 28, 2014 12:38 pm  #55

Love playing Devil's Advocate.

Dated a fellow for a bit in college, very popular with the ladies.  He came out less than a year after graduation.

Once had a boss who had been married for 12 years and had 3 children.  He and his wife also had an "understanding."  She knew he was gay when she married him but they were best friends and wanted to have children together.  *shrug*  It worked for them.

I'm just saying the world is not so black and white.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 28, 2014 4:03 pm  #56

Folks, please accept my apologies.  I stepped over the line, and I'm sorry.  I didn't even know what Johnlock meant until it was explained in the post above.  Color me red in the face.

I must confess that I'm impressed by how politely I was corrected.  The dressing down was firm, but not harsh and insulting.  Nobody told me to get my intolerant ass off the board if I didn't like what was going on.  I'm thankful for that.

And just so I won't seem like a hypocrite -- yes, two lovely ladies sharing their pleasure is very nice indeed.  So, I guess I do understand (a little) what the Johnlock thing is all about.

I promise to stop being a bore, a snob, and a prude.

Now, somebody please give me a hug and tell me I'm forgiven.  Preferably one of the ladies.

A good debate is like a fencing match — you don't have to win to get a good workout.

January 28, 2014 4:05 pm  #57

You are the wisest and.... er, stop, that was not what I wanted to say.
Yes, of cousrse, we forgive you.
*big hug*

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 28, 2014 4:14 pm  #58

Bruce Cook wrote:

Folks, please accept my apologies.  I stepped over the line, and I'm sorry.  I didn't even know what Johnlock meant until it was explained in the post above.  Color me red in the face.

I must confess that I'm impressed by how politely I was corrected.  The dressing down was firm, but not harsh and insulting.  Nobody told me to get my intolerant ass off the board if I didn't like what was going on.  I'm thankful for that.

And just so I won't seem like a hypocrite -- yes, two lovely ladies sharing their pleasure is very nice indeed.  So, I guess I do understand (a little) what the Johnlock thing is all about.

I promise to stop being a bore, a snob, and a prude.

Now, somebody please give me a hug and tell me I'm forgiven.  Preferably one of the ladies.

You, sir, are a true gentleman. And you are more than welcome here, amongst the crazy!women who love their Johnlock. Apology accepted, gratefully. When I corrected you about what you'd posted yesterday, I honest to god didn't know how it would be received. *hugs*

January 28, 2014 4:24 pm  #59

ancientsgate, I started to send my apology to you as a PM, but then I decided I needed to say it to one-and-all.  I'm certainly glad I did.  In fact, this is how glad I am. ------>

January 28, 2014 4:28 pm  #60

You are equally welcomed by this female who doesn't Johnlock...well, not for Canon/BBC...only in my head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera