BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 3:23 pm  #1

Moriarty theories - The Empty Hearse

Ok so I'm gonna give this a go and hope this topic won't be closed. Thanks KKKKK for starting the new Topic, I was in the process of replying but it was closed before i could finish.

So, just to be clear, this topic is regarding theories relating to Moriarty from The Empty Hearse. Not from the Reichenbach Falls- which would of course go in the link Mattlocked very kindly posted in KKKKK's previous topic. 

This is my previous post, in reply to sherlocked who had already touched upon the subject

macytree wrote:

sherlocked wrote:

On a more serious note: to put all Moriarty return theories to bed, has there ever been a public /acknowledgement, that Moriarty's body has been found and that he is dead? Anderson fantasizes about a mask on Moriarty's dead body. Does that mean, he knows about Moriarty being dead? If so, where did his body end up in the end? It cannot have been on the roof, because then Anderson wouldn't speculate, that Moriarty's body had been used. Or has Anderson gone completely gaga? Or Mofftiss didn't think this through and just wanted their gag, which was a good one, btw.

Im glad you brought this up Sherlocked I was just about to make a new post about it! I am also confused about the whereabouts of Moriartys body, and If anybody is actually aware that he is dead.

The first theory suggests that he is dead but nobody knows that he's dead. And that he is probably in Sherlocks fake grave or something.

The second (hilarious) theory suggests that he is still alive. Which would lead me to believe that the public probably doesn't know he is dead. 

And the third implies that he was still on the roof but gives no other info as to what happened to the body or if it was ever discovered. 

I am inclined to believe that his death has not been made public, and concealed in some way. But by whom, and why, has totally stumped me. Anybody have any ideas??

Macy

....so yeh, basically I just wondered if anybody had any theories on the mystery of where on earth Moriartys body has disappeared off to. And whether or not his death has been made public and if not why? And by whom?

January 4, 2014 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Moriarty theories - The Empty Hearse

It was closed because there already IS a thread reg. Moriarty's death.....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 4, 2014 4:00 pm  #3

No offence was meant mattlocked, I only wanted to specify that this thread isn't intended to be about Moriarty's death, but rather about what happened after the roof scene in relation to the three theories mentioned in TEH  

January 4, 2014 5:11 pm  #4

Right yes, Moriarty's body....if we believe that the third theory is the correct one, which most people seem to be assuming it is...then Moriarty was still up on the roof when Sherlock jumped. There was also the dead man that looked like Sherlock and I'm assuming he was the one who ended up in Sherlock's coffin. I don't actually believe this theory but it's the only one we've got to go on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2014 7:03 pm  #5

I think Mycroft must have ordered a 'clean up' operation. The objective would have been to keep Moriarty's network confused. Mycroft's people could then issue fake texts to his network thereby aiding Sherlock as he went around dismantling what was left of the criminal organization.

January 4, 2014 10:47 pm  #6

I don't think Moriarty's death was public knowledge based on the Morlock theory the girl in the fan club came up with. If she'd known Moriarty died, that is not a theory she would have come up with.

If we assume that the theory with Anderson was a creation of Anderson's mind and the conversation with Sherlock didn't actually take place, then it would be reasonable to assume that Anderson knew Moriarty was dead.

Hense I think it's likely that the police were aware but the public were not. Which is interesting since Sherlock's suicide made front page news but Moriarty's was hidden? Maybe they were hoping to hide his death from his network for as long as possible?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 5, 2014 3:06 am  #7

In the very first scene Anderson obviously doesn't know where Moriarty's body was left.
It's his theory about Moriarty with a Sherlock mask.
If they found dead Moriarty on the rooftop, he wouldn't come up with that.

So either the makers didn't think it through that far, or Moriarty is gone and they will bring it up again sometime.

January 5, 2014 2:45 pm  #8

Thanks for the replies guys!

Regina Alexandra wrote:

I think Mycroft must have ordered a 'clean up' operation. The objective would have been to keep Moriarty's network confused. Mycroft's people could then issue fake texts to his network thereby aiding Sherlock as he went around dismantling what was left of the criminal organization.

I think I agree with you on this Regina, Its the only explanation I can think of as well. However Moriartys network must have known about his death as the snipers would have seen him shoot himself, so presumably they couldnt infiltrate the network this way. Ruthinks made a good point in a previous thread, which DavidM also touched upon: 

"As the news reporters say "Richard Brook was proved to be Moriarty after an extensive investigation". Anderson wouldn't have been fired immediately after the Reichenbach showdown. So the police must have come to the hospital terrace and found the body of Moriarty. But Moriarty's body has been used as a decoy according to Anderson. If they found the body,then Anderson would have know and he wouldn't have theorized what he does. Conclusion: They don't find Moriarty's body."

So basically we know that Moriarty can't have been found on the roof, by the police at least. And from the second theory we know that his death is not public knowledge. So either Mycroft arranged a 'clean up' and squirreled the body away somewhere, or his own network somehow managed to get hold of the body.

Last edited by macytree (January 5, 2014 2:48 pm)

January 5, 2014 4:07 pm  #9

macytree, thanks for creating this thread. and I entirely agree with DavidM's conlusion, you quoted above. That were exactly my thoughts, when I started this discussion on the other thread, where it really didn't belong. We should be careful, though: Maybe, Moftiss made just a joke and pandered to different fan theories without thinking it through completely. But logically there's nothing wrong with DavidM's conclusions.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 5, 2014 4:15 pm)

January 5, 2014 4:36 pm  #10

One other thing: I also thought at first, that the second crackpot theory points to Moriarty's death not being common knowledge. But that's not necessarily true. This member of 'The Empty Hearse' could have thought, that Moriarty was killed by someone, after he shared a kiss with Sherlock (Maybe, Moran was jealous, lol!). Or that he killed himself after the kiss, because life couldn't get any better . I'm joking, but since her fantasy didn't include, that moriarty walked into the sunset, we cannot draw the conclusion, that Moriarty's death isn't public knowledge. We can only say, that apparently Anderson knows about Moriarty being dead. Or, that he at least strongly suspects, that Moriarty is dead.

Last edited by sherlocked (January 5, 2014 4:37 pm)

February 3, 2014 9:13 pm  #11

As far as I understand it, the two made up theories (Anderson and the girl) are based upon the public knowing, that Moriarty was involved in Sherlocks death, but Moriarty hasn't been found.
(- Andersons story: Moriarty is dead but the hearse is empty;
- Fanclub Girl story: Moriarty and Sherlock teamed up and are both alive; no dead bodies.)

Sherlocks own explanation of the jump didn't mention what happened to Moriarty at all. But he says, that Moriarty killed himself. He obviously fell for Moriartys fake death.
But then explain this: Sherlock saw Moriarty die, but the public kinda knows, that Moriarty's body wasn't found. Sherlock should be able to add 1+1 here and see that something doesn't add up.
Maybe he does, and maybe he isn't even surprised, at least season 3 didn't mention anything about it!
If I'm right, in S04E01 Sherlock should not be surprised that Moriarty is back.

So I guess Moriarty got up and ran away, when Sherlock jumped.
Notice, nobody but Sherlock (and probably Mycroft) knew that Moriarty was up there.
So then how did it become public knowledge that Moriarty was involved in this? His body wasn't found obviously. But Anderson's and the fangirl's storys both involve Moriarty being on the roof.

I like that he faked his death too and comes back, but it's strange that the whole season 3 didn't touch that subject.
Obviously they did that purposely, because they knew years ago, that he would come back.

But for me there is still a gaping hole in the story:
- All being shocked by "did you miss me?" means, that all thought Moriarty was dead.
- But how did they even know, that he died?
- Mycroft going "this can't be possible, this simply can't be possible" at the end of "His last vow" doesn't make sense at all.
If there was no Moriarty body on the roof, Mycroft would know!

So my only explanation is, that Mycroft is acting this "can't be possible" line and that he spread the "Moriarty is dead" news after "The Reichenbach Fall" to the public. And it's only logical, that Sherlock knew in S03E01 already, that Moriarty was alive, but we weren't told about it.

At least this is only way all would add up logically for me.

I don't believe in any of the theories about the "did you miss me" not being Moriarty and someone faking it for whatever reason. If that was true, nothing else would make sense any more. Because obviously the public was told, that he is dead, but it's also known, that there is no body (which might not be public, only police internal knowledge that Anderson has and gave to the fanclub).

Am I making any logical mistakes in this?

Last edited by DavidM1337 (February 3, 2014 9:19 pm)

February 27, 2014 7:59 pm  #12

DavidM1337 wrote:

As far as I understand it, the two made up theories (Anderson and the girl) are based upon the public knowing, that Moriarty was involved in Sherlocks death, but Moriarty hasn't been found.
(- Andersons story: Moriarty is dead but the hearse is empty;
- Fanclub Girl story: Moriarty and Sherlock teamed up and are both alive; no dead bodies.)

Sherlocks own explanation of the jump didn't mention what happened to Moriarty at all. But he says, that Moriarty killed himself. He obviously fell for Moriartys fake death.
But then explain this: Sherlock saw Moriarty die, but the public kinda knows, that Moriarty's body wasn't found. Sherlock should be able to add 1+1 here and see that something doesn't add up.
Maybe he does, and maybe he isn't even surprised, at least season 3 didn't mention anything about it!
If I'm right, in S04E01 Sherlock should not be surprised that Moriarty is back.

So I guess Moriarty got up and ran away, when Sherlock jumped.
Notice, nobody but Sherlock (and probably Mycroft) knew that Moriarty was up there.
So then how did it become public knowledge that Moriarty was involved in this? His body wasn't found obviously. But Anderson's and the fangirl's storys both involve Moriarty being on the roof.

I like that he faked his death too and comes back, but it's strange that the whole season 3 didn't touch that subject.
Obviously they did that purposely, because they knew years ago, that he would come back.

But for me there is still a gaping hole in the story:
- All being shocked by "did you miss me?" means, that all thought Moriarty was dead.
- But how did they even know, that he died?
- Mycroft going "this can't be possible, this simply can't be possible" at the end of "His last vow" doesn't make sense at all.
If there was no Moriarty body on the roof, Mycroft would know!

So my only explanation is, that Mycroft is acting this "can't be possible" line and that he spread the "Moriarty is dead" news after "The Reichenbach Fall" to the public. And it's only logical, that Sherlock knew in S03E01 already, that Moriarty was alive, but we weren't told about it.

At least this is only way all would add up logically for me.

I don't believe in any of the theories about the "did you miss me" not being Moriarty and someone faking it for whatever reason. If that was true, nothing else would make sense any more. Because obviously the public was told, that he is dead, but it's also known, that there is no body (which might not be public, only police internal knowledge that Anderson has and gave to the fanclub).

Am I making any logical mistakes in this?

Being missed doesn't necessarily mean dead.

He has been as invisible to the public as sherlock was- and longer because series 3 comprises nearly a year of their lives since Sherlock came back. Johns wedding was spring right- can't remember the date now, and that was the second episode. The final one is Christmas Day and into however long it takes Mycroft to arrange Sherlocks mission.

So Moriarty - who had become quite the public figure himself in series 2- has been silent and missing all this time.

Did you miss me could just as easily refer to this and not the assumption or knowledge he was dead.

How can you even form a sentence to reply when this ^^^ is in your face? 

February 27, 2014 8:24 pm  #13

So what did the series show us about the publics knowledge of Moriarty situation?

-Andersons theory of the fall shows that he thinks that Moriarty is dead and/or missing.
-Mary was told by John that he blew his brains out.
Anything else?

I think there isn't really anything about the publics idea of Moriarty. We only get ideas from people who are close to Sherlock.

So if the public wasn't even told that he is dead, that he was involved in Sherlocks 'death' or anything, then the "did you miss me" shouldn't have the effect on the in-series-public than it had on the viewer.

February 28, 2014 4:22 pm  #14

All we know is that Anderson was told Moriarty was dead, and that John was told that he blew his brains out.  Mycroft could be shocked that Moriarty is loose from wherever he was confined.  We saw someone who appeared to be a dispirited, mentally deranged man kill himself on the roof.

March 2, 2014 11:21 pm  #15

If you watch the scene where moriarty kills himself you can hear a spraying sound, like the sound when he knocks tye s guard out. So could he only be knocked out?

Don't talk out loud Anderson, you lower the IQ of the whole street,

Board footera