BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2014 12:57 pm  #1

Has Mary killed Johnlock?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Mary, and although I was frustrated by the lack of backstory (probably deliberate at this stage) , I thought she worked really well with John and with Sherlock. Maybe too well! I wished I could hate her just to keep my Johnlock hopes alive. I really did feel with SIP that the writers were going into new and unexplored territory with John and Sherlock's relationship, but in TEH it was like they were mocking me, saying silly girl it was always just a Bromance, you imagined it all...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 3, 2014 1:00 pm  #2

Re: Has Mary killed Johnlock?

You don't want to start this all over again, do you?

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3657

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2014 1:24 pm  #3

I´m not a "Johnlocker" and I like Mary´s role. I don´t tnihk the friendship and chemistry between Sherlock and John can be seriously damaged, because it´s crucial point of all the stories. and - according to some - Mary maybe won´t be long in the series.....in the canon, she died. I don´t want her to die, but. whatever can happen. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 3, 2014 1:36 pm  #4

I'm a Johnlocker, but only really in a fantasy type of way. I really like Mary and how Amanda plays her, and she seems to like Sherlock.

I reckon that John told her everything, so she understands how important Sherlock was to him and she's smart enough to not get jealous. And there were still plenty of nice moments for Sherlock and John, especially at the end, so I don't think their relationship could ever be torn apart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 2:18 pm  #5

kittykat wrote:

I'm a Johnlocker, but only really in a fantasy type of way. I really like Mary and how Amanda plays her, and she seems to like Sherlock.

I reckon that John told her everything, so she understands how important Sherlock was to him and she's smart enough to not get jealous. And there were still plenty of nice moments for Sherlock and John, especially at the end, so I don't think their relationship could ever be torn apart.

Yes.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2014 2:58 pm  #6

I Johnlock and I will ride this ship all the way to hell.  But it's not going to happen on screen and I don't need it to.  The writing and acting on Sherlock gives me plenty of beautiful moments to fuel my fantasies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 3, 2014 3:10 pm  #7

I'm a Johnlocker and I love Mary.
One thing is fiction and the other is canon. So be it.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

January 3, 2014 3:15 pm  #8

I reckon all the shippers got something the other night! XD

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 3:48 pm  #9

Mattlocked wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Yes.

Agreed!

I love (nearly) all typs of Johnlock in Fan Fiction and Art but don't want it on screen.
The only thing considering the new episodes I am a bit sad about is, that John won't live in Baker Street any more. I'll miss their little domestic quarrels .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 3, 2014 3:51 pm  #10

I think Sherlock will be coming to empty their fridge so often 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 3, 2014 4:53 pm  #11

Criosdan wrote:

I'm a Johnlocker and I love Mary.
One thing is fiction and the other is canon. So be it.

I'm glad that most people seem to think that way. There is no canon Johnlock, there never was and that is precisely the reason why it can't be destroyed. Johnlock comes alive through the chemistry given on screen that is responsible for all the fan fiction and fan art on the internet while we will never really see it in the series. The bromance lives. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 3, 2014 8:28 pm  #12

And they can never take our fanfiction and art away from us.  It can always be what ever we want it to be.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 3, 2014 9:03 pm  #13

tonnaree wrote:

And they can never take our fanfiction and art away from us.  It can always be what ever we want it to be.

True, I'll take comfort in that, and pray for just a twinge of jealousy in Sherlock's  face at the wedding !

Last edited by NotYourHousekeeperDear (January 3, 2014 9:04 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

January 3, 2014 9:29 pm  #14

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

True, I'll take comfort in that, and pray for just a twinge of jealousy in Sherlock's face at the wedding !

I think we can already see some sadness in the pictures they've released.  I myself choose to interpret them as containing a signifigant amount of jealousy.   

Frankly I don't think you could kill Johnlock with a nulear blast.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 3, 2014 10:41 pm  #15

tonnaree wrote:

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

True, I'll take comfort in that, and pray for just a twinge of jealousy in Sherlock's face at the wedding !

I think we can already see some sadness in the pictures they've released.  I myself choose to interpret them as containing a signifigant amount of jealousy.   

Frankly I don't think you could kill Johnlock with a nulear blast.

THIS^

January 3, 2014 11:31 pm  #16

stoertebeker wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

kittykat wrote:

Yes.

Agreed!

I love (nearly) all typs of Johnlock in Fan Fiction and Art but don't want it on screen.
The only thing considering the new episodes I am a bit sad about is, that John won't live in Baker Street any more. I'll miss their little domestic quarrels .

Well, if they follow the canon, even married, he'll still spend more time in Baker Street than at home with Mary

No, seriously while reading, I'd almost forgotten at one point that he had gotten married!

Anyway, I'm a Johnlocker myself, and apparently one of the few (erm, the only one??? lol) who wouldn't mind seeing my little fantasies live on screen. I know they should remain fantasies, yet I wouldn't mind. (don't get me wrong, I know this is NEVER going to happen!)

Well, come to think of it, in fact, what I love most in Johnlock is Sherlock slowly discovering he is in love with John, I don't really mind if his feelings aren't shared. Therefore, I loved little details that were opened to interpretation in the previous episodes, like --among many examples-- that time Sherlock calls Jeanette "Sarah": I love to imagine he does that on purpose just to annoy her because he is jealous of her. I'm not saying that's what the writers implied (that was surely just to point out Sherlock forgets things he finds useless --after all, he gets Lestrade's name wrong in TEH and yet he likes him-- and to insist on the fact he was unpleasant with everyone on that Christmas night) so yeah, I would love little details like that in the next episodes which would let the fangirl I am believe that he is jealous of Mary, or that he misses John. I'd be already very happy with that.

And as others already said, there'll always be fanfictions, fanarts and fanvids to feed our imagination.

And if I am really honest, I'd say that yes, at first, I was disappointed when I first read they were going to introduce the character of Mary but I must admit I really like her so far (actually much better than the canon version, who I find a little insipid) and I'm glad she is played by Amanda because it obviously makes her complicity with Martin on screen very natural.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 3, 2014 11:31 pm)

Just like old times...

January 4, 2014 1:27 am  #17

I love that Idea Punch Me, of Sherlock slowly discovering his love for John... Believe me you are definitely not alone in your fantasy (unrequited as they are ) of some Johnlock screen action.

January 4, 2014 1:44 am  #18

Have no fear, I'm still Johnlocking away over here - even though my heart was a bit broken that everyone else in TEH got hugs and kisses and John mostly got pranked. Oh well, as someone else said, "It's a guy thing".  With some guys, the deeper your emotions for someone, the harder it is to express them, so you hide them behind insults, jokes and teasing.  I was pretty upset with Sherlock for tormenting John on the train and then laughing his ass off about it.  But I did start to forgive him a bit when I heard him say, "But you said such sweet things. I love it that you cared....".  It's a crumb, but I'll take it. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 4, 2014 2:04 am  #19

Punch me in the face wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Yes.

Agreed!

Well, if they follow the canon, even married, he'll still spend more time in Baker Street than at home with Mary

No, seriously while reading, I'd almost forgotten at one point that he had gotten married!

Anyway, I'm a Johnlocker myself, and apparently one of the few (erm, the only one??? lol) who wouldn't mind seeing my little fantasies live on screen. I know they should remain fantasies, yet I wouldn't mind. (don't get me wrong, I know this is NEVER going to happen!)

Well, come to think of it, in fact, what I love most in Johnlock is Sherlock slowly discovering he is in love with John, I don't really mind if his feelings aren't shared. Therefore, I loved little details that were opened to interpretation in the previous episodes, like --among many examples-- that time Sherlock calls Jeanette "Sarah": I love to imagine he does that on purpose just to annoy her because he is jealous of her. I'm not saying that's what the writers implied (that was surely just to point out Sherlock forgets things he finds useless --after all, he gets Lestrade's name wrong in TEH and yet he likes him-- and to insist on the fact he was unpleasant with everyone on that Christmas night) so yeah, I would love little details like that in the next episodes which would let the fangirl I am believe that he is jealous of Mary, or that he misses John. I'd be already very happy with that.

And as others already said, there'll always be fanfictions, fanarts and fanvids to feed our imagination.

And if I am really honest, I'd say that yes, at first, I was disappointed when I first read they were going to introduce the character of Mary but I must admit I really like her so far (actually much better than the canon version, who I find a little insipid) and I'm glad she is played by Amanda because it obviously makes her complicity with Martin on screen very natural.

Oh you're not the only one!  I feel the same way 

-------------------------------------------------------

January 4, 2014 2:07 am  #20

KeepersPrice wrote:

Have no fear, I'm still Johnlocking away over here - even though my heart was a bit broken that everyone else in TEH got hugs and kisses and John mostly got pranked. Oh well, as someone else said, "It's a guy thing". With some guys, the deeper your emotions for someone, the harder it is to express them, so you hide them behind insults, jokes and teasing. I was pretty upset with Sherlock for tormenting John on the train and then laughing his ass off about it. But I did start to forgive him a bit when I heard him say, "But you said such sweet things. I love it that you cared....". It's a crumb, but I'll take it.

I have a feeling that'll be made up for in the next episode  ...can't wait to see! 

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (January 4, 2014 2:07 am)

-------------------------------------------------------

Board footera