BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 28, 2014 6:48 am  #1261

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Lue4028 wrote:

I think it's depressing guys can't love each other without the suspicion that sex/sexual feelings are involved. We're used to seeing those dramatic tropes associated with sexual love in movies, so it's confusing, but what if the human heart is less comprehensible and predictable than romantic tropes = sexual intent? 

What I don't understand at that point of the debate is why sexual love is so often considered something negative / limiting. Why would it be such a bad thing that the thought alone is "depressing"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 28, 2014 7:08 am  #1262

By itself, it isn't necessarily. But when it becomes conventional for sex to be paired with love, and unconventional to love someone without sex, i think it's depressing. It almost like love can't stand alone. Love, if it's extreme, has to be explained by something ulterior, such as sexual feelings or having blood ties, otherwise it isn't justified, it doesn't make logical sense and it can't be understood, believed, or even conceived. That is a limitation- saying that powerful love can only happen in those situations. I also think it's a testiment to love, when you portray it in unconventional situations and show it can defy social norms. It gives it contrast, it doesn't muddy it with ulterior or additional motives such as sexual ones.
Sexual love isn't bad, but saying love means sex... it bothers me. If there was evidence that Sherlock and John specifically wanted to have sex with each other, I wouldn't be saying this, but all I see is evidence that they love each other. That's the focus and backbone of the show. Their love is the point of contention- not the fact that John licked his lips this one time or that he looked weirdly at Sherlock while he was wearing bedsheets. And evidence they love each other being made into evidence they want to have sex- that's what I take issue with. 

Last edited by Lue4028 (June 28, 2014 7:29 am)

June 28, 2014 7:20 am  #1263

Hm, maybe then we have fundamentally different views of sex and love. For me, love is like the foundation and sex the (wonderful) addition. Not an ulterior motive, but something you do to deepen the love.
At least, that's how I think of love and sex when it comes to Johnlock stuff. I guess I am just an incurable romantic at heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 28, 2014 7:38 am  #1264

I don't think anybody would disagree with that.
But that's different from saying: because you see 2 men who love each other you think/hope there is/will be a sexual relationship.
Oh and while we're on the subject On a related topic, I still find it laughable that people can still equate Johnlock with:  the love of the mother and child, that between siblings etc....if it isn't this, what is it?

Last edited by besleybean (June 28, 2014 7:39 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 28, 2014 7:53 am  #1265

Schmiezi wrote:

Hm, maybe then we have fundamentally different views of sex and love. For me, love is like the foundation and sex the (wonderful) addition. Not an ulterior motive, but something you do to deepen the love.
At least, that's how I think of love and sex when it comes to Johnlock stuff. I guess I am just an incurable romantic at heart.

Sigh. Well, so am I.
To me, love is everything-
And sex can't add anything because there's nothing lacking and nothing deeper.

Last edited by Lue4028 (June 28, 2014 7:57 am)

June 28, 2014 8:23 am  #1266

That's just it.
It's as though love isn't enough...
But it is, we need no more, for it to be real.
It's as though sex is the pinnacle, well it isn't.
Our other loving relationships are just as important as any sexual one.
We don't love our childern, parents, siblings any less...and Sherlock and John's relationship falls into this category.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 28, 2014 8:45 am  #1267

besleybean wrote:

Our other loving relationships are just as important as any sexual one.

Well, I'm having both at the very same time with the very same person. There's love and there's sex, and being able to share both of these things with the same person is wonderful. I don't get why one has to exclude the other or why it's considered to be wrong that sex can be a beautiful part of a loving relationship. Again, nobody here says that sex is more important or that love is less valuable without sex. 
I think Schmiezi is right: Sex can be a wonderful addition to love. It doesn't have to be, but it can be.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 28, 2014 9:06 am  #1268

Uh... confused. I thought you said it was laughable to compare John and Sherlock's relationship to mother and child relationships or sibling relationships. 
I don't think J and S are comparable to familial relationships either. Those are in part biologically driven and culturally understood. If sherlock and John were brothers, it would change... everything. It wouldn't be so novel or remarkable, but their love would still be there. They like each other for who they are, but as brothers, they might also like each other because they grew up together, shared similar experiences, have similar traits, or feel responsible for the other. It's pretty different. The fact that John and Sherlock reached out to each other as strangers plays a big role.
I don't know where the mother idea came from... 

June 28, 2014 9:23 am  #1269

Solar and Schmiezi, I fully agree with you both. 

BB, nobody here has said that sex is the pinnacle of a relationship. 
Nobody has said that love is not enough. 
So please do not repeat it over and over again as it is simply not true. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 28, 2014 9:35 am  #1270

Excuse me?
Are we starting that again?
Surely I'm free to say what I like?
I wasn't accusing anybody of anything.
It was a philosophical musing.
You know, a bit like the one referred to on the atheism thread...
And with reference to Oscar Wilde: once is an unfortunate accident, twice looks like carelessness.

Last edited by besleybean (June 28, 2014 9:35 am)

June 28, 2014 9:56 am  #1271

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, I'm having both at the very same time with the very same person. There's love and there's sex, and being able to share both of these things with the same person is wonderful. I don't get why one has to exclude the other or why it's considered to be wrong that sex can be a beautiful part of a loving relationship. Again, nobody here says that sex is more important or that love is less valuable without sex. 
I think Schmiezi is right: Sex can be a wonderful addition to love. It doesn't have to be, but it can be.

Thank you. For the info. I will refrain from making snarky comments. So, I'm not saying that it can't. I wasn't saying sex is a negative (that's a whole other argument, and less relevent). Like BB said, "Sex would be a great addition to John and Sherlock relationship" is different from saying "John and Sherlock love each other which means they want to have sex with each other." I was targeting the second comment. Of course, I also happen to think sex would be a terrible idea. 

June 28, 2014 10:02 am  #1272

I don't think it would be a terrible idea, I just know it won't happen in BBC Sherlock, from what writers and actors have repeatedly said.

June 28, 2014 11:46 am  #1273

I have a deep beautiful love for my husband and my best friend.  One relationship includes sex the other does not.  Both are equally wonderful and fullfilling they just have different shapes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 28, 2014 12:57 pm  #1274

Quite.

June 29, 2014 11:49 pm  #1275

kittykat wrote:

Same here, Boss. I ship them as more of a bromance for the canon and the show. But I'm not averse to a little bit of Johnlock now and then. The fact remains that they do love each other, however you want to interpret it 

I pretty much have the same opinion as kittykat. I don't ship it, however, like kittykat said, I am not adverse to it. What bothers me is when people become creepily obsessed with it and try to make you ship them. I also think that some people go overboard with the erotic fanfiction and artwork.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'' ~ Sherlock Holmes

June 30, 2014 12:06 am  #1276

Fan Fiction and art are personal things, just for fun.  Everyone is allowed their opinion but no one is forced to read it.   One person's overboard will be just someone else's cup of tea.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 30, 2014 5:16 am  #1277

tonnaree wrote:

Fan Fiction and art are personal things, just for fun. Everyone is allowed their opinion but no one is forced to read it. One person's overboard will be just someone else's cup of tea.

Well said. Another reason why you are the president.

Last edited by Schmiezi (July 1, 2014 5:05 am)

June 30, 2014 12:01 pm  #1278

Some people say "creepily obsessed" like it's a bad thing. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 30, 2014 7:43 pm  #1279

tonnaree wrote:

Fan Fiction and art are personal things, just for fun. Everyone is allowed their opinion but no one is forced to read it. One person's overboard will be just someone else's cup of tea.

True. I agree.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.'' ~ Sherlock Holmes

July 2, 2014 2:29 am  #1280

Wow, I can't believe I read this entire thread.

Anyway, I found this forum because I was curious as to whether or not I was the only one who saw some UST between Sherlock and John. When I did a Google search on the topic, this thread came up.

My own personal views are more or less going to be a rehash of things already said, but here goes: I know that the show's creators deny anything beyond a bromance, but as a Doctor Who fan, I also know that Moffat lies. I'm not saying that he's defnitely lying here, but I take his words with a grain of salt. I accept that I might be reading too much into things due to the amazing chemistry between Martin and Ben, but there are also those little comments that come up here and there, such as John telling Irene that he's not gay, and Irene responding with, "I am, and look at us both," that make me think maybe we Johnlockers are on to something.

It's not that I want to take Sherlock and John's friendship and turn it sexual, or that I don't think bromance is good enough. I simply think they'd make a cute and interesting romantic couple (sex or no sex), especially considering how much they love and care for each other already. Whether or not I'd actually want to see Johnlock on the show -- I'm torn. On the one hand, shows often seem to lose something when UST is resolved. On the other hand, it would be fun to see them as a couple (and no, I wouldn't need to see any sex or evidence of it). Oh well, I'll just put my faith in the almighty Moftiss to make that decision for the show, and I'll just have to check out the fanfic recommendations for the time being!

Last edited by Side of Angels (July 2, 2014 2:30 am)

Board footera