BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 22, 2016 5:37 pm  #7141

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Well, Liberty, there would a lot to write about: 

- imagery
- photography
- narrative structure
- use of Canon elements
- comparison with other adaptations
- comparisons with other TV shows or films they have used as an inspiration

All this has been covered in often academically sound ways. It was Johnlockers who realised before TAB aired that it would be set in Sherlock's mind during the return of the plane. This is what people in film studies do and it has nothing to do with any pairings in a show. But I see this very rarely from people not connected to Johnlock. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2016 5:48 pm  #7142

Yes. For example Mary wore the thumbs up / down shirt and this season is wearing cherry blossoms which I belive symbolically tell us quite a bit.
Some quote on the observance of trifles.. comes to mind.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

December 22, 2016 6:12 pm  #7143

I don't see how you can write metas about something not existing. Because everyone agrees that they are very close friends, so you don't need to put up an argument for that. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 6:25 pm  #7144

What I mean, Susi, is that there is nothing to write about if it's right there on the screen.   If I do see Sherlolly, then yes, I might write about how Sherlock has fallen for someone in other adaptations, look at nuances, colours, etc.  But if I don't see it, then there's nothing really to write about - there's nothing that I would use to "prove" Sherlolly doesn't exist other than it just not happening in main text. 

I'm trying to think of other parallels ... for instance, I was speculating about Sherlock (or Mycroft, who is more ambiguous), being a villain at one point.  It would be really good fun to go through and try to find hints for that in the other episodes (and if there was a community dedicated to that, with lots of intelligent, educated and enthusiastic people, it would be even more fun!).  Now, I think it's perfectly valid to speculate that they might be villains and that that has been foreshadowed and the story that has been told all along.   But at the moment, that's not maintext, there on the screen.   So there's nothing to really write about why they're not villains.  There's nothing to prove, so far.  It's just a case of accepting and waiting to see what happens - but obviously, it's not going to be particularly interesting to compare to other adaptations in which they didn't turn out to be villains, etc. 

December 22, 2016 6:38 pm  #7145

What about all the things I mentioned above? Things that film fans and academics like to discuss? Why do characters mirror others? Why do certain episodes have their own color schemes? What literary influences are visible in the show? Fascinating things that are discussed mainly by Johnlock fans. I see a lot of creative thinking there that surpasses mere shipping by far.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2016 6:40 pm  #7146

I am not sure how? Use colour schemes and mirroring as "proof" Johnlock won't happen? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 6:49 pm  #7147

I get the feeling that you do not want to understand me, Vhanja. Remember the TAB prediction? It had nothing to do with Johnlock but it was made by people who look very closely and creatively at the show. And they were right. 

Btw, I find it a little offensive to state that something is not there. Maybe you could say that you think it is not there which is a fine difference. 

December 22, 2016 7:30 pm  #7148

The thing is, none of those things are needed to show the friendship.  It's right there on the screen, it's overt. 

Your other point about pre-TAB speculation - I wasn't part of that, but my guess is that even if it wasn't about Johnlock, all/most of the people involved were part of the Johnlock community, and so motivated to write about it, discuss it, get feedback, etc.   There isn't a non-Johnlock community in that sense, as far as I'm aware, and as I say, it would be kind of pointless (nothing to prove).   I'd guess that at the moment, the vast majority of S4 speculation/metas are coming from the Johnlock community again, for the same reasons! 

December 22, 2016 7:34 pm  #7149

Yes, they do and I enjoy them very much. There is a lot of amazing thinking going on there, in every direction. 

December 22, 2016 7:37 pm  #7150

I'm sorry if I came across that way, that was not my intent. I honestly am not sure how you mean a non-Johnlock meta should work.

Also, I thought you knew my stand about Johnlock by now. I have said numerous times that I have no trouble understanding how certain scenes can be interpreted as being Johnlock-y. Also, I don't have access to S4 or the mind of Moftiss, so I can't say that "it won't happen". (Although several Johnlockers on Tumblr seem to be quite certain that it "will happen").

What I meant was in the context of those who should write a non-Johnlock meta. How would they write a meta about something they don't think will happen? Write a meta to prove something doesn't - in their opinion - exist?

Team Hudders!

December 22, 2016 7:44 pm  #7151

Thank you for explaining. What I meant is this - I get the feeling that people who are invested in Johnlock often take very great care with analysing the show, not just where Johnlock is concerned but also in other things like deducing the narrative in advance as with TAB. I think it was also a Johnlocker who first realised that the multi-laptop scene in TSoT was Sherlock's MP and not real. To me there are clever finds and therefore I very much appreciate the people they come from. This is one reason for mainly following such blogs. I had a look at some Sherlolly and Warstan blogs and they are mainly occupied with posting fan art and gifs. Which is fine but what I miss is any serious and well-founded discussion of their views and other aspects of the show. Which I have found main ly in Johnlock blogs (with very few exceptions). 

December 22, 2016 8:33 pm  #7152

That is true. I can imagine it comes from the belief that it will happen in the show. And so they analyze it more than those who "just" ship it for themselves to find signs to support their belief.

Team Hudders!

December 23, 2016 12:42 am  #7153

Well, we're heading towards some kind of conclusion fairly soon. In less than a month, we will know for definite whether Johnlock is going to be confirmed in Series 4. 
If it does happen, there will be a lot of very happy (and smug!) Johnlockers and TJLCers - and rightly so!
If it doesn't happen, what then? Will the TJLC community just defer their expectations to Series 5? So many of them are 100% certain it is going to happen by the end of 'The Final Problem'. If it hasn't by then, will they abandon the show and attack Gatiss & Moffat for not making their ship canon, I wonder?

December 23, 2016 1:23 am  #7154

I think we can be fairly certain that the series will end with John and Sherlock at 221b. I also do not see either of these two men becoming romantically involved with any other person. The relationship between them is already ambiguous enough that explicit depiction need not necessarily happen. It would however be the best and most logical conclusion. It wouldn't surprise me if 04 ended ambiguously and then 05 started up with a done deal not needed to be fussed about but obviously sharing a bedroom or something.

I certainly think that the vast majority of people that support or believe in a Johnlock ending are intelligent, polite and well mannered. No matter the fandom or the belief there will always be a few trolls though.
Unfortunately.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

December 23, 2016 6:26 am  #7155

And if it happens:

how many people who do not want to see it will write hate letters to the team? How many "fans" will stop watching because they mind something natural like homosexuality?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 23, 2016 7:36 am  #7156

To be honest, Schmiezi, I think it would be very, very few if any.   The Daily Mail would probably try to drum up some outrage, but I don't think the general public would be bothered. 

If it doesn't happen ... it will be interesting to see.  It does seem that TJLCers are saying that it will definitely happen in S4, and also it looks like there may be a long break after S4, so I wonder if that will just be the end of the conspiracy theory aspect?   There's no reason to stop shipping them, but I suppose people wouldn't see it as endgame any more.  I wonder if the community could just continue though, talking about what "should" have been, maybe seeing it as an unexpected change of direction forced by overseas marketing, and still finding the clues hidden in the subtext. 

I remember in another fandom, a point was resolved after years, and although it was good to know for sure, it kind of sadly meant no more interesting debate and discussion!    I would really miss that here, so I have mixed feelings about S4 confirming one or another.  It might be more fun to not have it resolved!  I think that in the end, though, it would be good to know, because of how much it affects the story. 

December 23, 2016 7:52 am  #7157

If I were the worrying sort, I'd worry about people who feel The Kiss [/echo] will definitely happen in S4.
While this seems to be the natural progression of the relationship in the show, it wouldn't fit with the usual storytelling style.

I too think it will be more like Mothonthemantel's "obviously sharing a bedroom or something" - a tiny bit of a scene that's obvious for people who are looking but not obvious at all to the casual viewers.

I wonder if it still counts as queerbaiting then. I think people who want it to be "in the face" are over-compensating for ages of discrimination, while nowadays all couples regardless of the gender combination can be private about their relationships without being cowards (or without the executive team counting as cowards and queerbaiters in our case).

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 23, 2016 10:06 am  #7158

If people leave the show because Johnlock doesn't happen - or leave because it does happen - that doesn't bother me too much. We all have our limits to when a show stops being interesting, and I think the right thing to do is to just silently walk away and do something else.

What worries me, is if they don't just silently walk away, but kicks up a fuss towards Moftiss. They have created a great series, and I don't think they deserve receiving a lot of crap from people who feel some sort of entitlement towards Moftiss, that they "should have" created the show they want to see. There is very little when it comes to fandoms that makes me as outraged as that.

Team Hudders!

December 23, 2016 10:58 am  #7159

Oh, I think Moftiss can deal with that.
I just hope teenagers won't start falling out of windows if The Kiss [/echo] doesn't happen. TJLC seems to have changed lives of a lot of young people for the better (so far).

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 26, 2016 1:19 pm  #7160

Some interesting thoughts about representation (not from a teenager):

http://sherlockedgay.tumblr.com/post/154976476199/why-queer-fans-deserve-better-on-queerbaiting-and

Last edited by SusiGo (December 26, 2016 1:19 pm)

Board footera