BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2016 5:18 pm  #6221

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Do you also tell them that some fans don't think that will happen?
'Teach the controversy', as it were! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2016 5:26 pm  #6222

cultural? no idea
most of my german friends don't see it, but that's weird too... they say things like "ha, funny, that looks like a date with that candle" but they think nothing of it... there is just the joke.
or "they are holding hands how cute!" ...meaning nothing by it.
or John declares he is not gay and they say "why should he be gay?"

it's like they see romantic coding or whatever we call it, and name it as such, but don't relate it to anyone. l don't really understand it.

Last edited by Whisky (August 1, 2016 5:29 pm)

"It is what it is."

August 1, 2016 5:39 pm  #6223

Well the holding hands was under rather desperate circumstances and they didn't ask for the candle!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 1, 2016 6:18 pm  #6224

Whisky wrote:

cultural? no idea
most of my german friends don't see it, but that's weird too... they say things like "ha, funny, that looks like a date with that candle" but they think nothing of it... there is just the joke.
or "they are holding hands how cute!" ...meaning nothing by it.
or John declares he is not gay and they say "why should he be gay?"

it's like they see romantic coding or whatever we call it, and name it as such, but don't relate it to anyone. l don't really understand it.

Yes, this is more or less the way I see it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 1, 2016 7:35 pm  #6225

Whisky wrote:

What I find difficult is to name the disappointment.
For me, it's not aimed at the show at all. I don't mind where we are going, I'm going there too until I'm not.
It's not the show itself. It's the way the writers handle things nowadays. I find them interesting, I like the things they do, they are people who have something to say. Except recently, it feels to me like they don't know what to say anymore.
And that is what makes me feel disappointed. Like I have a certain faith in them handling certain topics in a good way. Now I'm doubting if they do. They struggle so much, but why? Fear of fan backlash?
And the lying... what for? To keep things secret? I don't know. If I don't want to know something, I don't go looking for it. Why they have to tell lies to keep things a surprise is beyond me. For the fun of it, yes... I cannot judge that though.
I cannot grasp the concept of making the show ambiguous (in terms of Johnlock) and then not being able to handle the upcoming questions in a confident manner. Assuming the show is ambiguos. Which it must be in some way, if this thread is still going strong.

Beautifully put, Whiskey.

Speaking of Mofftiss struggling, I sometimes wonder if there are no other pressures we, the outsiders, do not see. The pressure of their employer, BBC corporation, for example... but I know too little about that to be sure, of course.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 1, 2016 7:45 pm  #6226

As far as I understand, they are given complete artistic freedom...as they should be.

August 1, 2016 7:49 pm  #6227

I do not think it has anything to do with the BBC. Maybe the writers do not like people figuring out too much. I mentioned this more than once, some people deduced that TAB was going to take place during the five minutes on the plane. Same goes for Johnlock, I suppose. They want people guessing but not too much. Maybe they should not give any hints at all, no tweets, nothing. Because fans have become very clever and Moftiss want to have control over their surprises and rug pulls. Which does not work, regarding the long waits between episodes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2016 7:56 pm  #6228

Liberty wrote:

I'd be interested to know how much of that is cultural.  I did notice in those TJLC videos that sometimes it seemed like British culture/humour was a bit of a mystery. 

I believe the main factor is not the cultural thing, but the way the story is narrated.

Some SH adaptations make it very clear that the protagonist is straight. The narration is so straightforward, it leaves no place for an error. For example:

Sherlock Holmes in New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K3Nwdg9x3w

Holmes has a child with Irene Adler there. There is zero possibility of anyone interpreting that fact other way.

Young Sherlock Holmes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wwkx6d6_AI

Very sweet romance between Sherlock and his classmate. Once again, it would be quite hard to ship this version of Holmes with any other character without disregarding huge parts of the movie.

Elementary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPa1JNgyQkk

Jonny Lee Miller simply leaves no doubt that his character is straight.

Then there are very neutral adaptations. You can ship characters together if you like but the storyline does not tell you one way or the other because it is engaged with other things, like comedy:

Without the clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC7qlEl-Ezo

And then there are adaptation that are deliberately ambiguos or downright hint at the relationship between Holmes and Watson.

Granada version. No, dialogues like "We have been in tight places together, Holmes.", aren´t a coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaf-YEU1F0

And then there´s the BBC version that takes the ambiguity to the new level. So much so that (after TAB) even the "wallpaper isn´t real, the mist isn´t real, nothing is real anymore"... 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 1, 2016 7:58 pm  #6229

The new Russian Holmes series is another example of Holmes and Watson being unambiguously straight and in relationships with women. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 1, 2016 8:07 pm  #6230

SusiGo wrote:

The new Russian Holmes series is another example of Holmes and Watson being unambiguously straight and in relationships with women. 

Yes, definitely.

Older Russian SH adventures, on the other hand, could be interpreted as Johnlock, there were plenty of scenes that gave us this Johnlocky vibes in that series....

August 1, 2016 8:18 pm  #6231

Thanks for the links, Nakahara.

I think one important thing with this is that we know how the writers say they portray LGBT characters and how they do actually portray them, and it's at odds with what we see in Sherlock.   And in this day and age, on the BBC, it would seem very odd to hide it, to leave everything to subtext and innuendo.  I know Sherlock Holmes is a bit of an exception because he doesn't "do" sex and relationships, so in a way, there's no need to make his orientation explicit.  But John is different, and I think his orientation has been made explicit.

August 1, 2016 8:38 pm  #6232

Well, I won´t argue about that, but in my opinion John and Sherloc´s sexualities were deliberately left to be ambiguos/open to interpretation and it´s this ambiguity that makes the show so alluring, IMHO.

August 1, 2016 8:39 pm  #6233

But they have both only been shown with or interested in women.

August 1, 2016 8:42 pm  #6234

besleybean wrote:

But they have both only been shown with or interested in women.

I don´t really think Sherlock was shown as having serious interest in any woman, but that´s my reading of the scenes, of course.

August 1, 2016 9:12 pm  #6235

True, and I'm open to the possibility of a gay man falling for a woman in certain circumstances (I think with Irene, there is a connection which is not really to do with physical attraction, although I personally think that's there as well).   And I still think he's ambiguous, but by adding another woman into the mix, even if it's just fleetingly, kind of sways him in the other direction.  We still haven't seen any attraction to any man.

My view of the character is that he doesn't get romantically/sexually involved with anyone, male or female.   But I understand the writers may have different plans.

August 2, 2016 12:19 am  #6236

nakahara wrote:

Well, I won´t argue about that, but in my opinion John and Sherloc´s sexualities were deliberately left to be ambiguos/open to interpretation and it´s this ambiguity that makes the show so alluring, IMHO.

Yes . They also have been walking the line of the Korean problem  and still selling the show to non gay friendly places.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

August 2, 2016 5:54 am  #6237

nakahara wrote:

Holmes has a child with Irene Adler there. There is zero possibility of anyone interpreting that fact other way.

Then John having a child with Mary should also give zero possibilities of interpreting it any other way?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2016 6:06 am  #6238

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Then John having a child with Mary should also give zero possibilities of interpreting it any other way?

Clever point! :-)

I'd say that having a child does by no means indicate being straight or gay but I don't know "SH in NY".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 2, 2016 6:41 am  #6239

I agree. However, we have consistently seen John with women and interested in women, showing no interest in men.(If it walks like a duck...). If he's bi, it's quite closeted and not relevant for the story. Just as BBC Sherlock might be gay, but it's not relevant because he doesn't act on it anyway.

And Mofatt actually made a fairly good point when he saI'd that if Sherlock had been romantically and/or sexually attracted to John, he hadn't wanted him as a room mate to begin with because he wouldn't have wanted that daily distraction.

Last edited by Vhanja (August 2, 2016 6:45 am)

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2016 6:57 am  #6240

Oh, if love would be as simple and straight-lined as this... ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera