BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 12, 2014 9:27 pm  #441

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

So we have the 2 people John loves the most in the world.
I am still not getting why he would marry one and not the other.
It would make more sense if he married neither!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 12, 2014 9:38 pm  #442

Well, believe me, I don't get why he marries Mary, either. It's not love, at least I don't see it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 12, 2014 11:42 pm  #443

It may be his wish to lead a "normal life". And of course she helped him to cope with Sherlock's death. But after he came back … well …  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2014 7:21 am  #444

Indeed.
Nobody put a gun to John's head!
He freely chose to marry Mary.
Marriage appears to have significnace for some.
I am interested in why he chose Mary and not Sherlock.
I feel this is the nub of the Johnlock debate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 13, 2014 7:48 am  #445

besleybean wrote:

That's a good point. Have to think about that.
Then again, he was already proposing to Mary when Sherlock reappeared. And then he just "went on with what he began"? Maybe he wouldn't have at all if Sherlock had been back a tad earlier?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

April 13, 2014 7:55 am  #446

Possibly it's more about opportunity...
Though maybe John would have still met Mary, even if Sherlock had been around.
But then, maybe Sherlock would have had her sussed...
It could depend if Mary is a 'plant'...
Sorry, I'm turning this thread into a plot analysis, rather than focusing on the relationship!

April 14, 2014 12:59 pm  #447

besleybean wrote:

But why not just live with her, or just go out with her, or just be friends?
Sorry Solar, we cross posted...
But then, why doesn't he marry Sherlock?

In the US we're more and more seeing people (heterosexual people) getting married solely because they want to have children, and the way our society and the tax, insurance and inheritance regulations are set up regarding marriage, it's much more advantageous to have kids inside a legal marriage contract than outside of it.

Could be John is just old-fashioned enough to believe that marrying the woman you love is what you do. "If you like it, put a ring on it," as the Beyonce song says.

He wouldn't marry Sherlock, not without a major shift in John's own self-view. I'm. Not. Gay.  and all that protesting he's been doing about his orientation. "How many times do I have to say it? I'm. Not. Gay. Sherlock. Is. Not. My. Boyfriend."

April 14, 2014 1:06 pm  #448

besleybean wrote:

He thought Sherlock was dead. He waited a while after TRF, and then he did the best he could to get on with life. To most men, that means finding a woman who will make a home with him, help him pay the household expenses, cook for him, and give him sex-- it's just the way heterosexual men are usually wired. And anyway, Sherlock was dead! John dated Mary, had sex with her, started to move his mind around to the idea of keeping her around, he bought a ring, made plans to propose, and then Sherlock showed up with a bottle of champagne and a fake mustache. And the rest is history....  but my point is, he'd made the decision to marry Mary without knowing Sherlock was still around.  And John is nothing if not a man of his word-- he said, "I'll marry ya!" to Mary, and he wasn't going back on that.

April 14, 2014 1:57 pm  #449

besleybean wrote:

.....I am interested in why he chose Mary and not Sherlock.
I feel this is the nub of the Johnlock debate.

The writers have made a huge point about John believing that he isn't gay. Over and over again, they've written dialogue for him to protest, loudly, when people assume he's Sherlock's boyfriend. So.  Unless the writers change that, give him other words to speak, then he'd never even think of Sherlock in "that way"--  straight men rarely switch their orientation just because they have a good-looking, interesting and available male friend. Go out for a pint or two with him, yes, but kiss him?  Ewwww!  *smile*

April 14, 2014 2:06 pm  #450

Well quite.
Obviously you realize, this was my entire point!

April 14, 2014 2:17 pm  #451

besleybean wrote:

Well quite.
Obviously you realize, this was my entire point!

I'm new to the thread, so I don't know what anyone's point is.

IMO Johnlock is for fan fic, and it's best left there. ACD himself and every reincarnation of SH since then have all dealt with a strong undercurrent of unrequited love between Sherlock and John. Their friendship, I believe, was always intended to be "something more"--  transcending the boundaries of ordinary male bonding to something deeper, having to do with trust and loyalty, like blood brothers. But the idea of actually moving them into romance and sexual activity, of actually telling stories that include that, is something that belongs in fan fic, as I said, in my opinion. I honest to god hope TPTB at BBC never, ever decide to actually let S and J do more than just have eye sechs. It's intriguing the way it is, and I think it should stay that way.

Last edited by ancientsgate (April 14, 2014 2:18 pm)

April 14, 2014 2:18 pm  #452

Just call me Queen Subtext but I still maintain the "Not Gay" does not automatically equal "Straight."

*bats eyelashes*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 14, 2014 2:22 pm  #453

All agree with you, tonnaree 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 14, 2014 2:23 pm  #454

tonnaree wrote:

Just call me Queen Subtext but I still maintain the "Not Gay" does not automatically equal "Straight."  *bats eyelashes*

I don't know about that. Surely the writers are playing with us, I see that clearly.  But from John's POV, I 100% think he means it. He considers himself straight, and at his age, and after all of that college and medical school, plus years spent in a mostly-male military environment, he oughta know. Just sayin'.

April 14, 2014 2:24 pm  #455

I agree.
Leave the rest to the conspiracy theorists!
Much of the time I think John is a dork...
But I think he knows himself on this one.
And I'm bound to say:
only in the Sherlock fandom, would people think John marrying Mary was confrimation of him being in  love with Sherlock.

Last edited by besleybean (April 14, 2014 2:26 pm)

April 14, 2014 2:59 pm  #456

ancientsgate wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Just call me Queen Subtext but I still maintain the "Not Gay" does not automatically equal "Straight."  *bats eyelashes*

I don't know about that. Surely the writers are playing with us, I see that clearly.  But from John's POV, I 100% think he means it. He considers himself straight, and at his age, and after all of that college and medical school, plus years spent in a mostly-male military environment, he oughta know. Just sayin'.

Personally I think that he is bisexual. He knows that but doesn't advertise it. Quite to the contrary. It may well be because of his military background. It worth considering that it was only in 2000 that UK armed forced officially lifted the ban on recruiting people who were openly homosexual following a legal challenge by long standing serviceman who were dismissed after their sexuality came to light.

April 14, 2014 3:50 pm  #457

Well he's not in the army now.
What evidence have you for him being bisexual?

April 14, 2014 3:51 pm  #458

I'm afraid I'm going round in circles, but methinks the lady doth protest too much. I don't even doubt that John honestly believes it when he repeatedly protests "I am not gay!". But stranger things have happened. He wouldn't be the first man in his mid-forties to finally realize that he's not straight. Men divorce their wives because they finally realize or can admit to themselves that they love men.
I hear what he's saying, but I observe something else.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 14, 2014 3:59 pm  #459

Well I guess the proof will be in the pudding....
when we eventually see Sherlock and John in a relationship.
This is rather than the current 2 camps of Johnlockers:
1.  Sherlock and John are already in a relationship.
2.  Hopefully John and Sherlock will one day be in relationship.

Last edited by besleybean (April 14, 2014 8:47 pm)

April 14, 2014 4:24 pm  #460

besleybean wrote:

Well he's not in the army now.
What evidence have you for him being bisexual?

No evidence, just an inkling.

He may well not be in an army now but if he has spent years and years surrounded by certain attitudes he is not going to change overnight.

Board footera