BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2015 11:10 am  #4381

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 18, 2015 11:38 am  #4382

Well it might be amusing, but I think we'd find the marriage certificate made out to John and Mary.
Plus, it is Mary carrying John's child.
Well at least, John didn't deny him and Mary having had sex at least once.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2015 11:48 am  #4383

No, I personally believe John loved Mary. At least until the assassin reveal. Not so sure after that, but I think he makes the effort to try. Only S4 will show.

But I find it interesting that in the wedding between John and Mary there isn't a single love declaration shown between them. But there is several between Sherlock and John. That doesn't mean John doesn't love Mary, but it says a bit about what the creators wants us to focus on.

Last edited by Vhanja (October 18, 2015 11:50 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 18, 2015 12:53 pm  #4384

The fact that practically the entire episode is devoted to John and Mary's wedding, could mean that it is meant to be our focus.
It is also called The Sign of Three, the three being the family Watson.
Having said that, the show is called Sherlock, so he has to always be our main focus.
Further, in no way do I underplay the effect of John's marriage upon Sherlock.
I think Sherlock genuinely likes Mary and accepts she is the one.
But there is no doubt in my mind that he misses John...and I personally only hope that John is soon back in Baker Street with Sherlock, where in my opinion he really belongs.
I always knew they would marry John off, because it's canonical and to me was vastly superior to continue showing him with a string of different females.
But for me both the Canon and the show work best when being centred on the remarkable friendship of these 2 men.
I humbly suggest that both ACD and the Sherlock team know this.
You are right of course, that we may be provided with many answers in S4.
I wonder how much they will play on John suffering from losing the love of his life.
Sorry, I just realised that I should have made clear that I am assuming that Mary is in fact going to leave the show...one way or another. But I could be wrong!

Last edited by besleybean (October 18, 2015 12:56 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 13, 2015 3:35 pm  #4385

Just stumbled again over this classic. As Mary would say, "neither of us were the first." 

http://monikakrasnorada.tumblr.com/post/133133581347/inkfeathers57-every-johnlocker-needs-to-see

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2015 6:32 pm  #4386

November 13, 2015 7:57 pm  #4387

Indeed, Sholto was John's friend before Sherlock was.
Just as John had slept with other women before Mary.

November 13, 2015 7:59 pm  #4388

I was referring to the fact that BBC Sherlock Johnlockers were not the first to promote this idea. The clip for example is from "The Thin Blue Line" (1995-1996) featuring Rowan Atkinson as policeman. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 13, 2015 8:01 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 13, 2015 8:58 pm  #4389

SusiGo wrote:

Just stumbled again over this classic. As Mary would say, "neither of us were the first." 

http://monikakrasnorada.tumblr.com/post/133133581347/inkfeathers57-every-johnlocker-needs-to-see

Lovely constable Habib! And she is right, of course! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 13, 2015 10:11 pm  #4390

SusiGo wrote:

I was referring to the fact that BBC Sherlock Johnlockers were not the first to promote this idea. The clip for example is from "The Thin Blue Line" (1995-1996) featuring Rowan Atkinson as policeman. 

Johnlock has existed since the publication of the original stories.  It just wasn't called Johnlock. 
There have always been people who speculated that John and Sherlock were more than friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 13, 2015 10:28 pm  #4391

Yes, I've always been aware of the 'Johnlock' view of The Canon.
Though of course they were Holmes and Watson in those days

November 13, 2015 11:15 pm  #4392

Holmeson? Watsolmes?

November 13, 2015 11:23 pm  #4393

Watmes. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 14, 2015 1:05 am  #4394

Behind closed doors they called each other sweetheart..............*swoon*

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 14, 2015 10:21 am  #4395

And I love when they simply call each other "Sherlock" and "John" because in this universe it is something very special. 

November 14, 2015 10:52 am  #4396

I think that was definitely one of the best decisions Mark and Steven made.
You need to feel that love.

November 14, 2015 1:51 pm  #4397

SusiGo wrote:

And I love when they simply call each other "Sherlock" and "John" because in this universe it is something very special. 

I agree.  Names carry a lot of weight in their universe.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 14, 2015 10:17 pm  #4398

I just found this very comprehensive analysis of how Holmes and Watson describe the appearance of men and women in Canon. Interesting (coincidence, universe, lazy):

https://archiveofourown.org/works/4707170

Last edited by SusiGo (November 14, 2015 10:20 pm)

November 14, 2015 10:22 pm  #4399

Thanks, Susi 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 14, 2015 10:24 pm  #4400

ACD isn't here to answer questions, though biographies do report his views.
But Mark, Steven, Benedict and Martin are very much alive. so we can ask them.
Besides, BBC Sherlock continues and so hopefully all will become clear.

Board footera